Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What are thoughts on the Estee Lauder double wear powder foundation? I have got some good reviews on makeupalley abt this powder and very interested in buying it for my oily skin. For anyone who has used this before, does it provide good coverage and is it suitable for oily skins?

I would really appreciate your replies.

Thanks in advance,
Pumi.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes it's good and covers well. I use it OVER foundation. On a good day I can just use this. Studio Fix by MAC and Lancome Dual Finish powders are very much the same. Try those too. As far as the double wear foundation I LOVE IT. Close seconds are Lancome Photogenic Lumessence and Lancome Absolue Liquid make up (which really isnt for oily skin but I love the coverage so I use it) I have pores, scars and pick at my skin so I need coverage!!! They all work well.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's good and covers well. I use it OVER foundation. On a good day I can just use this. Studio Fix by MAC and Lancome Dual Finish powders are very much the same. Try those too. As far as the double wear foundation I LOVE IT. Close seconds are Lancome Photogenic Lumessence and Lancome Absolue Liquid make up (which really isnt for oily skin but I love the coverage so I use it) I have pores, scars and pick at my skin so I need coverage!!! They all work well.
Thanks for your helpful reply, skincarediva. I have tried the studio fix by mac but was not too impressed as it tends to oxidise when I wear it and changes colour on my skin. The Estee lauder powder sounds good to me. I want to use just this on my face with a little concealer to hide my blemishes. Do you think the double wear foundation is suitable for oily skin?

Thanks

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Pumi- have you ever tried cornsilk face powder? It is great for oily skin. I had a very good friend who swore by it. She had extremely oily skin.

You might want to check the reviews on it first, since I have personally never used it. -

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
All good suggestions, but I have never found an Estee Lauder foundation that worked for me color-wise. I like a yellow-based foundation like Bobbi Brown and all of EL are either orange or pinkpinkpink on me.

Unfortunately Bobbi Brown's foundations aren't the right consistency for me....Still haven't found what I'm looking for!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pumi- have you ever tried cornsilk face powder? It is great for oily skin. I had a very good friend who swore by it. She had extremely oily skin.

You might want to check the reviews on it first, since I have personally never used it. -
No, I haven't tried cornsilk powder. I have seen it at my local drug store. Are you refering to the pressed powder or loose powder ? Thanks for the suggestion
My cousin's is getting married next month and I am still on the hunt for a good powder foundation.

I wanted to try sample of the estee lauder powder and then leave it on for a whole day to examine if it's making my face oily or not. Unfortunately, everytime I go to my local store, they seem to ran out of samples!
After much thought, I have decided to buy the EL double wear powder and then use the cornsilk powder on top. Maybe this should help control my facial oiliness.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good suggestions, but I have never found an Estee Lauder foundation that worked for me color-wise. I like a yellow-based foundation like Bobbi Brown and all of EL are either orange or pinkpinkpink on me.

Unfortunately Bobbi Brown's foundations aren't the right consistency for me....Still haven't found what I'm looking for!!
I understand Fawnie. Finding a perfect foundation for oneself is a tedious job!!The colour may be right but foundation can be too heavy or cakey. Foundation may sometimes be at the right consistency but not the right color or at the right color but leaving face like an oil drill! Hmmmm...finding the right foundation is such a hard task!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
So true Pumi!
The best I've ever come to HG status is DiorSkin Nude liquid. Perfect color, perfect finish, but it's a little too "sticky" for summer humidity. It really smoothes lines well and covers freckles nicely, doesn't settle into pores...perfect, but sticky in the summer. If I stayed inside in the a/c it would be fine tho.

It sounds like EL DW would be great for you!! A primer would make all the difference. Sofina Lucent SS is a great one that has sunscreening abilities too.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
While we're on the Estee Lauder subject, has anyone used Fresh Air foundation? I remember it from the 80's but never used it then, and it looks like it's back. Thumbs up or down?

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
While we're on the Estee Lauder subject, has anyone used Fresh Air foundation? I remember it from the 80's but never used it then, and it looks like it's back. Thumbs up or down?
Fresh air is this an Estee product? I have never heard of it. Give me some info-

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the sofina primer recommendation, Fawnie. Just checked makeupalley and seen it has received some very good reviews. Fingerscrossed, I will be able to find it in the UK! Has anyone used MAC primer? I am just thinking if I can use this instead if I don;t get the sofina.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
MAC Prep + Prime gets good reviews too, altho I've never tried it.
SKINN Orchid gel is a good primer for oily skin - Toni09 and Mari both rec it.
Sofina Lucent has talc and silicone which make it a good primer + SS. Bobodave.com and eBay has it.

I tried the EL DW powder today and it it awesome! No sweating or oily breakthu at all! Sand is a great color and not too pink or red for me.

I tried the Fresh Air foundation by EL today also. It's behind the counter and you have to ask for it. Colors are limited to 4 - none of which worked for me. It's more for oily and combo skin, semi-matte finish in a thin liquid form. The colors are either VERY pale (Linen and Ivory) or too red (Natural Beige and Newport Beige). Back to Diorskin Nude for me - a winner everytime!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
WOW!!! Look at Pumi (I'm assuming that is you in your avatar picture)

You are beautiful!!
Pumi don't stress over makeup, you don't need it!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW!!! Look at Pumi (I'm assuming that is you in your avatar picture)

You are beautiful!!
Pumi don't stress over makeup, you don't need it!!
Lolz

I wish I could lie girls and say that it's my pic!!

My avatar is actually one of my favourite actress.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MAC Prep + Prime gets good reviews too, altho I've never tried it.
SKINN Orchid gel is a good primer for oily skin - Toni09 and Mari both rec it.
Sofina Lucent has talc and silicone which make it a good primer + SS. Bobodave.com and eBay has it.

I tried the EL DW powder today and it it awesome! No sweating or oily breakthu at all! Sand is a great color and not too pink or red for me.

I tried the Fresh Air foundation by EL today also. It's behind the counter and you have to ask for it. Colors are limited to 4 - none of which worked for me. It's more for oily and combo skin, semi-matte finish in a thin liquid form. The colors are either VERY pale (Linen and Ivory) or too red (Natural Beige and Newport Beige). Back to Diorskin Nude for me - a winner everytime!!
Thanks for your reply, Fawnie. You've been a gr8 help!
That's it then. I will go for EL DW powder. Sand or Fresco will be the color for me.

I am really looking forward to some shopping now--

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I hope you like it Pumi!!

I apply it over my sunscreen with a big fluffy brush and then buff it in well with a kabuki brush. It really is all in the application. You can blot it with a barely damp sponge to set it or spritz all over with a mineral water spray like Avene.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Lolz

I wish I could lie girls and say that it's my pic!!

My avatar is actually one of my favourite actress.
Pumi!!!! you could have pulled that off and said it was you!!! I was getting extremely jealous of those cheek bones-

What actress is it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
on a good day i looove mac studio fix powder just swept on with a brush, or when i need more coverage, over foundation, but that is definitely my favorite, and i have very oily skin.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope you like it Pumi!!

I apply it over my sunscreen with a big fluffy brush and then buff it in well with a kabuki brush. It really is all in the application. You can blot it with a barely damp sponge to set it or spritz all over with a mineral water spray like Avene.
Thanks for the tip, Fawnie. I will do just that.
Do you suppose I can make my own spritzer mineral water and spray over my EL powder?

Do you wipe excess sunscreen from your face before applying make-up as after I applied my sunscreen my skin becomes really greasy. I guess maybe this is wat is making my skin oilier and caking my powder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts