Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be using my first glycolic peel 10% tomorrow. Will this be too strong to start off with, or too weak? If you have any tips or advice please share. Also, anyone heard of the WhiteDerm Potent Skin Whitening Cream and the WhiteDerm Potent Skin Whitening Cream? I started using this 2 days ago and hope to see some positive results within a month.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I have done 50% Glycolic. BUT I would suggest trying this 10 % for a while and see how your skin reacts. When I first started doing glycolic I had to move up stronger to see any changes. NOW after doing RA, TCA doing 50% GA BURNS like 40 hells and burns my skin. My skin cannot tolerate it at that % any longer. Could be the RA. So if you are doing RA just stay with the 10 and work up SLOWLY.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
I would recommend exfoliating really good before you use it. 10% might not be strong enough, but the only way you are going to know is to try it, right. So give it a shot and see what happens.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
10% is pretty weak, but again if you are using RA on your skin, you might want to try it first. RA can make your skin very sensitive. I had no idea how much until I put that 50% on which I had been using for 2 years. I had to wash it off and fast!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Goatlady, would you happen to have that link handy? The one for the Glycolic acid ?
Thanks. I know you posted it over in anti-aging, but it would be great for skin lighteners too: look how your TCA peel idea took off!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ondine when I first started using Glycolic I ordered from here. Terasita Skin Care - Quality, affordable skin care products for beautiful skin If you scroll down the woman in the before and after is my mother. This is for the 50% peel but they also have 30%. The company changed owners recently and I have not ordered since that time so I cannot vouch for customer service. But before it was excellent. My mom was also using the 30% Glycolic cream which is awesome. I used it also for a long time. This is where I got my TCA peel and they also have Glycolic kits
Chemical Peels, Chemical Peel, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Jessner, Lactic Acid Peels, Chemical Free Enzyme Peels, Pumpkin Peels I suppose you can compare prices and go from there. Hope this helps

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wow gotalady thank you they ship to OZ.
I have been using 10%-15% glycolic. I think I will try the 30%
They also have retinol but no retin A which I think is more effective.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Ondine when I first started using Glycolic I ordered from here. Terasita Skin Care - Quality, affordable skin care products for beautiful skin If you scroll down the woman in the before and after is my mother. This is for the 50% peel but they also have 30%. The company changed owners recently and I have not ordered since that time so I cannot vouch for customer service. But before it was excellent. My mom was also using the 30% Glycolic cream which is awesome. I used it also for a long time. This is where I got my TCA peel and they also have Glycolic kits
Chemical Peels, Chemical Peel, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Jessner, Lactic Acid Peels, Chemical Free Enzyme Peels, Pumpkin Peels I suppose you can compare prices and go from there. Hope this helps
Awwhh, very neat, I had to take a peek, since you said it was your mother-
what a cute lady!! And good for her to be using peels!! I love that!! Is she a member here as well-
maybe we could get her to join.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
No mom don't use a computer and I doubt she ever will. Yes she is 68 now and still wants to use what I am using. The Glycolic really did take care of a lot of those nasty brown patches she had. It worked great on her skin. It helped lighten mine also but I needed them GONE. I still have this patch of red marks on my neck I want to get rid of. I am thinking of trying HQ on that.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks, goatlady! Did that peel ever do a great job on mom! All the sun damage vanished! Nice to meet goat-mom too
. I'm taking the plunge too. Can't wait to try this out!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ondine the red on my neck is different than freckles and brown/sun spots. Any idea if HQ would work on that. It is on each side of my neck, but right down the middle of my throat area is totally clear.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
No mom don't use a computer and I doubt she ever will. Yes she is 68 now and still wants to use what I am using. The Glycolic really did take care of a lot of those nasty brown patches she had. It worked great on her skin. It helped lighten mine also but I needed them GONE. I still have this patch of red marks on my neck I want to get rid of. I am thinking of trying HQ on that.
What do you like better? Glycolic peels or TCA?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Actually they both have a purpose for me. The glycolic is a great exfoliator and did lighten and soften lines especially on my mom, but the TCA made my skin smooth and removes the more stubborn brown areas.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Actually they both have a purpose for me. The glycolic is a great defoliator and did lighten and soften lines especially on my mom, but the TCA made my skin smooth and removes the more stubborn brown areas.
Glycolic for me helps more for hyperpigmentation, where as the TCA gives me smoother, tighter, results. TCA helps hyperpigmentation too, I just think glycolic has a better finishing.

Do you ever feel it makes your skin thinner? Since I only use my peels in the fall/winter months, I am really going to pay attention to this, this time around. Right now my skin feels relatively thick, but after doing a peel, I often wonder if it makes my skin a tad thinner. Nothing permanent, just for a few weeks or so.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I can't say for sure, I have only did spot peels with it, not an all over not yet. If it did thin I would think it is very temporary. We have our RA to counter that. My skin just is so much better now. The change in just the past few months since finding this forum and RA etc has made a dramatic difference. Even my husband has noticed.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Hey anything is worth it when the husband notices-

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm getting more and more intrigued by the peels. Goatlady your mum really looks amazing! You both look really great
. When I first read of people doing their own peels, I couldn't believe it. I was advised about ten years ago that I should have a TCA peel, but was too terrified of scarring. This would have been done by a doctor too. I've had all sorts of procedures done, including cosmetic tatooing and laser hair removal, and have never been afraid of a bit of pain when it comes to beauty, but I have to admit this seems to me like it must really HURT. How painful is it? Has anyone ever got any sort of scarring? Is there any chance at all, that my hyperpigmentation could become worse, ie post inflammatory HP? I really want to do it but I'm very, very scared

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Gee, I'm getting more and more intrigued by the peels. Goatlady your mum really looks amazing! You both look really great
. When I first read of people doing their own peels, I couldn't believe it. I was advised about ten years ago that I should have a TCA peel, but was too terrified of scarring. This would have been done by a doctor too. I've had cosmetic tatooing, laser hair removal, and have never been afraid of a bit of pain when it comes to beauty, but I have to admit this seems to me like it must really HURT. How painful is it? Has anyone ever got any sort of scarring? I really want to do it but I'm very, very scared
If you have done laser hair removal and cosmetic tatooing......TCA will be a walk in the park-

Start with a low %, have a fan if you need one, and you will be good to go!! I don't think I have a high tolerance to pain, on a scale of 1-10, I would say a TCA (18%) peel is a 9 3/4-

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you have done laser hair removal and cosmetic tatooing......TCA will be a walk in the park-

Start with a low %, have a fan if you need one, and you will be good to go!! I don't think I have a high tolerance to pain, on a scale of 1-10, I would say a TCA (18%) peel is a 9 3/4-
Is it like you want to cry or wash it off straight away, or is it like just a hot sensation? How long do you have to leave it on? Is TCA more painful than glycolic?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts