Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm kind of new here so yeah I was just wondering how to look after my face. I had dry, flaky and peeling skin on my face and then I saw my dermatologist. She suggested a cleanser from dermeze and a moisturiser also from dermeze. I cleanse and moisturise every morning and night, but now I'm starting to break out with pimples and my face is getting all oily. But if I stop using the moisturiser, then face goes all dry. I'm kind of confused what to do? Can you guys please help me? I'd really appreciate it!!!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Dermeze is a very thick cream that is used for eczema and or psoriasis. It is filled with paraffin's. I think I would go back to the Derm and explain to him/her the results you are having with this product. There are so many other products out there that he can certainly have you try.

I know Cetaphil has a great cream with sweet almond oil as an ingredient and this would work great for dry skin. Their gentle face wash would be great for dry skin as well. But really, try getting in with your Derm and explain what is happening. Best of luck to you-

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey- your skin sounds a bit like mine was- only mine was flakeing off rather then peeling away.

I was forced to relook at my skincare routine and think that two things made a difference.

1. changing my cleaner- I had been using one that was too harsh, it had alot of witch hazel in it- fantastic product, but just not for me.

2. Adding an after cleanser exfoliator. I don't mean like a scrub (I use a scrub too but no more then 3 times a week.) but instead, a facial toner-
After washing your face, use an exfoliating toner with cotton wool pads to further cleanse your face. Be careful not to use the same section of cotton wool over a new part of your face as it wont work to exfoliate enough.
Using toner will insure that all reminents of the cleaner have completely gone from your face, and any lime in the water is not left on your skin to dry it out further. Made a huge difference to my skin- I thought it was all in the cleanser so I stopped the toner, but the dry patches came back. I tried this about 4 times over 12 months before I gave up the ghost- I need a toner!

I would also advise a different facial moisturiser in the day and in the night- night time is good for your skin to drink and so you can use something fairly dense. (Not too dense though- your skin just will become clogged), and in the day time use something which is milder and if possible, has an SPF.

I also get the spot thing if I use certain products (like the entire Boots No.7 range!) its annoying as even if I persevere it makes no difference (and my mum spent about £70 on this range for me for Xmas so believe me, I really wanted to!)
Its because its too dense for my skin and so my skin pores become clogged with a mixture of sebum, dead skin cells and too much product. In effect, my skin throws it all back at me-like a mini tantrum! So I have learnt to go easy and use milder formulas. My skin is fickle- could be yours is too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks gymrat and jen. But I don't want to exfoliate because I previously had a problem with over-exfoliation and that's the reason I had to see my dermatologist. I've stopped putting dermeze ointment and now my skin is breaking out and flaking like crazy. I have Vaseline Intensive Dry Skin moisturiser, should I give that a go? It doesn't mention anywhere about applying it on the face, it just says all over your body?

·
Registered
88 Posts
How recently did you stop exfoliating? it could be a come-back from your skin which may have gotten all to comfortable with the exfoliation- perhaps once a week is enough for you- and a milder formula such as rice powdered based ones rather then synthetic or grain based ones?

It does sound like your skin needs some sort of exfoliation though- bascily, what sounds like is happening, is your getting alot of dead skin cells. When you get dead skin cells, they are white/paler then your skin colour as they are dead. This happens naturally- its nothing abnormal, skin cells last only a few days. If you don't manage to remove them with a cleanser, they will remain on your face. Thus leaving you with white patches.

Have you also considered using a toner instead of a facial scrub? toners work similarly to an exfoliator in many cases- but are not scratchy- simply use with cotton wool pads- one face section per side of cotton wool pad with a toner to suit your skin type. There are many out there. I would suggest one for dry skin? or even sensitive skin? one with alcohol will work the fastest but will probably dry out your skin long term so chose wisely!

Another option (or even to use before a toner) is to use a muslin cloth with your cleanser which will help to mildly slough off the dead skin cells- use warm water and gently rub in small circular motions across your face paying special attention to any dry patches you may have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks jen. I'm exfoliating with a facial sponge with my cleanser. It's my first day using it, and I do notice my skin feeling more smoother and soft. But there is some cracking skin and a feeling of tightness every time i wash my face. My skin colour is still darker and unhealthy than usual but my acne problems are going away.
I went back to my derm again, and she suggested mixing the dermeze ointment and neostrata ultra smoothing lotion as the ointment will provide moisture and the lotion will tighten my pores. I use a soap-free wash from dermeze but still I get a feeling of tightness everytime I wash my face. Will this go away? If not, what should I do about it?
also myy derm doesn't recommend me using a toner for some reason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts