Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere where someone said using Head & Shoulders shampoo to wash your face can reduce acne. Something about the zinc content in the formula. The trick is to buy a version of H&S shampoo without conditioner.

Anyways, I tried this out for a few months now and, oddly, it really seems to have a pretty good effect. It definitely reduces oiliness without creating a dried out feeling.

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this, has ever tried it, and if your results are the same as mine...or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
better not use shampoo as a face wash. in the long run, you can develop skin problems. I don't think it is safe at all..

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Head and Shoulders is medicated. Considering how people are so scared of anything but natural products on this forum I'm surprised that someone would use that on their face. I wouldn't use it on my face though. Do you keep doing whatever works, you know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Head and Shoulders is medicated. Considering how people are so scared of anything but natural products on this forum I'm surprised that someone would use that on their face. I wouldn't use it on my face though. Do you keep doing whatever works, you know.
I told some friends about this, and they all reacted in absolute horror. But in my view, the ingredients in shampoo are basically the same as the ingredients in face wash. And as you say, it works for me. I am not sure whether it is really because of the zinc ingredient (I think it is called zinc pyrithone or something like that), or maybe just because it is a bit stronger than normal face wash products.

Anyways, I was just curious if anyone has ever heard of this before or not.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Agghhh...that last line didn't make sense. But you know what I mean. Do you find that it dried your face too much?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have never heard of this before...But if it works for you and if it's safe keep doing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the record, I check the label tonight and the version of Head & shoulders that I am using is called "Classic clean". It does not contain any conditioner, so it works well for face washing.

I know it sounds weird, but give it a try for a few days and you will see.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
For the record, I check the label tonight and the version of Head & shoulders that I am using is called "Classic clean". It does not contain any conditioner, so it works well for face washing.

I know it sounds weird, but give it a try for a few days and you will see.
I am happy it works for u

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What other products are you using for moisturiser, toner, and exfoliant?
For moisturizing, I have used Isomer's Matrixyl Wrinkel Defense Serum, but recently I switched to Serum Logic's Prevene Serum. Basically I go for a matrixyl-based serum with no fragrance at all. I don't use any cream products at all on my face (except in sunny weather, I use UV lotion of course).

I don't use toner very often, but when I do, it is one of the Clean & Clear products such as Daily Pore or one of the other versions. I have a bottle now, but to tell the truth, I only use it once a week at most. Usually I am in too much of a rush to take the extra time to tone.

For exfoliation, I use Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub. It sounds like sandpaper, but actually it is really nice. The scrubbing beads are really small and fine, so they exfoliate but they do not leave my skin dry or red at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops, forgot to mention that I only use Aveeno once per week. Even with this sort of softer exfoliation process (as opposed to chemical-style exfoliation), I think once per week is enough.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think that chemical exfoliation is less aggressive than mechnical exfoliation, but I guess that depends on too many factors.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I think it's a bad idea. There are face washes that have zinc in them. Why not try one of them?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's a bad idea. There are face washes that have zinc in them. Why not try one of them?
What is the difference between a shampoo and a face wash in terms of actual ingredients? (all marketing talk and vague claims of "mild" aside)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that chemical exfoliation is less aggressive than mechnical exfoliation, but I guess that depends on too many factors.
One thing I like about mechanical exfoliation versus chemical is that you always have final control with the mechaanical version, i.e. you can scrub hard or scrub very lightly.

An extreme example: If you were forced to choose one, which would you rather wash your face with: sandpaper or sulfuric acid?

Of course, you would choose sandpaper since you could press as lightly as possible and avoid most skin damage. With sulfuric acid, I think you would have burns right away.

OK, I know it is a dumb example, so go ahead and shoot it down.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Tina, I really don't think it's a dumb example. BUT consider this, would you rather dilute the acid until it wasn't as acidic, or use a belt-sander on your face?

I guess it could really go either way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tina, I really don't think it's a dumb example. BUT consider this, would you rather dilute the acid until it wasn't as acidic, or use a belt-sander on your face?
Maybe if I use them both then my skin will be perfect!

This is what my face will look like then:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts