Discussion Starter #1
1 Tablespoon Kaolin Clay
1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E
2 teaspoons Aloe Vera liquid OR 1/8th teaspoon aloe powder
2 teaspoons water.

Optional:
A few drops of Liquid Colorant
A couple drops of Lavender Essential Oil

Mix all ingredients and apply to the skin. Allow to dry. Rinse off.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fawnie can you tell my about Manuka Honey I have never heard of it before. Is it like regular honey? What makes it different? Is it due to the nectar the bees use? A special plant?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
sure goat!
Manuka honey. It's from NZ and it's made from the nectar of the tea tree plant so it has healing properties. I get it at the health food store. It has little bits of bees wax in it which makes it extra yummy!

Manuka Honey

I've used in on burns and it heals without scarring.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok can you stand ONE more question, how much would you add to this recipe?? 1 tsp?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LOL I can stand it!
(no goat smilie)

This shows a Manuka Acne Cream that contains a lot of ingredients. I think you can add anything you want to it and it will work...it's a great thing! Try it out and see what you can do with it. My local health food store had it cheaper than I could get it online.

Manuka Honey Acne Cream

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
316 Posts
LOL I can stand it!
(no goat smilie)

This shows a Manuka Acne Cream that contains a lot of ingredients. I think you can add anything you want to it and it will work...it's a great thing! Try it out and see what you can do with it. My local health food store had it cheaper than I could get it online.

Manuka Honey Acne Cream
That looks like a VERY good acne cream and I'm the pickiest person I know when it comes to stuff like this. I'm considering buying it...

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fawnie I have NO idea why but your links won't work for me and they normally do. Can you try to PM them to me and see if that works?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I found this online and was wanting your thoughts on replacing the aloe vera with SKB. Also do you know of a better clay to use with more minerals or antioxidants?

1 Tablespoon Kaolin Clay
1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E
2 teaspoons water.

Optional:

I would also skip the lavender oil. Per Paula Begoun (taken from her website where she cites all of her sources):

"Primarily a fragrance ingredient, although it may have antibacterial properties. There is no research showing it has any benefit for skin (Sources: Phytotherapy Research, June 2002, pages 301–308; and Healthnotes Review of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, www.healthwell.com/healthnotes/Herb/). It can be a skin irritant (Source: Contact Dermatitis, August 1999, page 111) and a photosensitizer (Source: Family Practice Notebook, www.fpnotebook.com/DER188.htm). Research also indicates that components of lavender, specifically linalool, can be cytotoxic, meaning that topical application causes skin-cell death (Source: Cell Proliferation, June 2004, pages 221-229). In addition, the fragrance constituents in lavender oil oxidize when exposed to air. This not only makes lavender oil pro-oxidant, but also increases its irritancy on skin (Source: Contact Dermatitis, September 2008, pages 143-150)."

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This recipe when tweeked a little with the honey and SKB should be really soothing for the skin especially after a peel or some irritation from RA. Looking forward to trying it

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um what about peppermint essential oil a drop or 2? I love the smell of that stuff

·
Registered
316 Posts
Um what about peppermint essential oil a drop or 2? I love the smell of that stuff
Unfortunately, Paula does not look too fondly on peppermint oil, either.

"Both the oil and the extract can have antimicrobial properties (Source: Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, July 2002, pages 3943–3946), but they can also have an irritating, sensitizing effect on skin (Source: www.naturaldatabase.com)"

I think it really depends on the person. Peppermint oil has never irritated my skin but lavender oil pretty much sets me on fire. There are some really good, beneficial essential oils out there that are considered safe - such as tea tree oil (antibacterial) and rose hip seed oil (moisturizing, good for mature skin). Also, chamomile is AMAZING for skin - it's an anti-irritant.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Um instead of the water I think I will brew some green tea and use it. Sound good? Anything better than green tea?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I found this online and was wanting your thoughts on replacing the aloe vera with SKB. Also do you know of a better clay to use with more minerals or antioxidants?

1 Tablespoon Kaolin Clay
1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E
2 teaspoons water.

Optional:

Goatlady, did you try this? I am in Oz. What does it mean by liquid colorant - do you really need it? Did you substitute the aloe vera for SKB and add Manuka Honey? Thanks

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the colorant is optional so I won't be using that as well as the lavender oil. I just got the ingredients today. I will play with it probably tonight and let you know.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok everyone I decided on the Aztec Healing Clay and from their site I used this recipe they have slightly tweaked. I added 1/2 tsp of Vit E oil.

Honey ( Manuka ) Mask Mix equal parts Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay with apple cider vinegar ( I used raw from Bragg ), add 1 tablespoon raw honey. Apply to skin, allow to dry10 minutes and rinse with warm water. This mask is similar to a mask used by Cleopatra in her beauty ritual.

I did 1 tbsp of clay and 1 tbsp of the vinegar which made it a little thin so next time I may decrease the vinegar.

Next time I will probably go more with the original recipe I posted but this does feel great time to wash it off.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: the first recipe I used above did thicken nicely overnight. I left what I had left on my counter to do my arms the next morning and the consistency is perfect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts