Skin Care Talk banner

Heat rash

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  coastin 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am heading away on holidays in 6 weeks time, but I suffer with bad heat rash... Can anyone recommend a good sunscreen that won't aggravate it and any good remmedies to help ease it when I'm there???

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
If you found something, please let us know. I'm suffering from this right now in the bend of my arms, and it's been YEARS since I had that problem. I put a hydrocortisone cream on it, and then after a bit try powdering the area. The powder helps immensely. But sunscreens drive me nuts!

#5 ·
Definately 1% cortizone cream. It works great, it works fast. Instantly soothes the itching and the rash is gone by morning. I think I got the 4pack at Costco for really cheap.

I get it every summer. The hotter the weather, the worst it gets. Usually where my arms and legs bend. when it gets worst, its on my face, neck and hands.

#8 ·
Um, be careful you don't overuse the cortisone! You can cause some serious thinning of the skin with it, not to mention covering up any infection!

You might want to try a clear oil-free sunscreen that doesn't block the pores and cause the irritation.

Gold Bond Medicated Powder should keep you cool too.
Heat rash is really nothing to do with what sun screen you wear. Its the sweat causing bacteria and irritating your skin. I am allergic to sweat and therefore get this reaction.

No you don't use the cortizone forever, just enough for it to go away. Usually 1 day or 2 is plenty. I only apply once or 2x a day depending on whether it is still hot or not.

#13 ·
This is what it says on WebMD. Nothing really to do with sunscreen. Perhaps it may aggravate already itchy heat rash but it doesn't cause it.

Heat rash begins with excessive perspiration, usually in a hot, humid environment. The perspiration damages cells on the surface of the skin, forming a barrier and trapping sweat beneath the skin, where it builds up, causing the characteristic bumps. As the bumps burst and sweat is released, you may feel the prickly, or stinging, sensation that gives this condition its common name.

#14 ·
This is what it says in the Mayoclinic.com
Heat rash develops when your sweat ducts become blocked and perspiration is trapped under your skin. Symptoms range from superficial blisters to deep, red lumps. Some forms of heat rash can be intensely itchy or prickly

Still... nothing to do with oily sunscreen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.