Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am mid-60s going on 40. Have had face lift and use retin A, botox and thermage every year. I want to keep up with everything and will share what I find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had thermage treatments three times, each about 9 months apart. The last one was two years ago. I did it because I was moving to Africa (west) for two years and knew I wouldn't be able to get other treatments here. Thermage makes little difference right away but seems to have a gradual accumulative effect over time, firming and plumping skin, I guess from the growth of additional collagen. I plan to have another treatment when I return to California in November. At my age (65) the plumping softens the contours of my face rather than getting rid of specific lines or wrinkles. It particularly helped around my eyes and mouth area. My naso-labial folds were filled with some sort of gore-tex product years ago and remain OK. I didn't find the thermage overly painful, nothing compared to laser treatments. It is expensive (1,000$ or so) but treatments once a year or so, just to keep it up, are so much less than a face lift. I also maintain with retin A and vit. C.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and Fawnie--you seem to be high on facial exercise. I was always told by derms that it could stretch and worsen wrinkles? Tell me about your experience with it. I'll do ANYTHING.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am mid-60s going on 40. Have had face lift and use retin A, botox and thermage every year. I want to keep up with everything and will share what I find.
Hi Suzi and welcome.

I was just wondering how long ago you had the face lift?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a face lift five years ago that is still holding. I had very oily skin as a young person and that has protected me from wrinkles, but I had some drooping skin around my eyes and chin. I tend to look gaunt rather than wrinkled. People guess my age to be 45-50 now which is wonderful. Family members tend to stay young looking but I think the lift really helped. It was quite traumatic just in that I looked like hell for about a month. I was put to sleep and then stayed with a nurse over night so they saw me through the worst of it. I am a psychologist and had to stay away from the office because I didn't want my patients to know. I got a new haircut before I went back to work and everyone thought it was that. My surgeon did a very good job, very subtle, augmented with a fair number of fat transfers while I was still out with the lift. Frankly I think that did as much good as the lift and the fat is still there. I had horrible bruising from the fat transfers, so I am hesitant to do it again unless I have the whole thing (lift too) again..and probably I will around 70. I didn't have my eyes done along with it but did have a forehead lift (forehead too high to begin with) which did not leave me looking permanently surprised as I feared. Now I kind of maintain with botox, thermage yearly, retin A and vit. C. I'd say the work I have had done has softened my face rather than smoothed it (which it didn't need so much).

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I had a face lift five years ago that is still holding. I had very oily skin as a young person and that has protected me from wrinkles, but I had some drooping skin around my eyes and chin. I tend to look gaunt rather than wrinkled. People guess my age to be 45-50 now which is wonderful. Family members tend to stay young looking but I think the lift really helped. It was quite traumatic just in that I looked like hell for about a month. I was put to sleep and then stayed with a nurse over night so they saw me through the worst of it. I am a psychologist and had to stay away from the office because I didn't want my patients to know. I got a new haircut before I went back to work and everyone thought it was that. My surgeon did a very good job, very subtle, augmented with a fair number of fat transfers while I was still out with the lift. Frankly I think that did as much good as the lift and the fat is still there. I had horrible bruising from the fat transfers, so I am hesitant to do it again unless I have the whole thing (lift too) again..and probably I will around 70. I didn't have my eyes done along with it but did have a forehead lift (forehead too high to begin with) which did not leave me looking permanently surprised as I feared. Now I kind of maintain with botox, thermage yearly, retin A and vit. C. I'd say the work I have had done has softened my face rather than smoothed it (which it didn't need so much).
Wow sounds great!! Gives me hope when my time comes-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oh, and Fawnie--you seem to be high on facial exercise. I was always told by derms that it could stretch and worsen wrinkles? Tell me about your experience with it. I'll do ANYTHING.
Oh yeah I AM high on facial exercise and massage! Here is a link to some FAQs about it:
Facial Exercise: Straight answers to frequently asked questions.

If it stretched out my skin and made wrinkles worse for me, I would have stopped long before now! Been doing Flex Effect for almost a year with excellent tightening of slack tissues of eyes, jaw and neck. It fills in hollows around eyes. I also do Ageless if you Dare for the cheek building exercises. I nearly have my Chipmunk Cheeks back!

If you've already had face surgery, this will maintain the good result for you. Sometimes surgery can cause unnatural tautness and loss of facial fat. Exercise/massage rebuilds that plumpness and doesn't give ppl that overly drawn look. If only Joan Rivers had discovered facial exercise/massage....

If you don't like the look that a specific exercise have given you, you simply quit or modify that exercise and the face reverts to the original state.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
at $149 a bottle, better be good! Have you used it Chivis?
I've checked their website and It's pictures of women in their 20's, I hate that!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Wow sounds great!! Gives me hope when my time comes-
I'm too afraid! Lucky as I was with simple procedures...but I wish though, and to find the surgeon that won't mess and of course I hope I will have $

Suzi do the Retin A and thermage dry your face? I'm asking because I used to have oily skin but after Glycolic Acid & Quasar, now my skin is very dry

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
at $149 a bottle, better be good! Have you used it Chivis?
I've checked their website and It's pictures of women in their 20's, I hate that!
I think Chivis is trying to promote it.

I agree with you marie I do hate when ones website is of young girls who don't have a purpose to use anti aging products. Get women in their 40-70's that makes more sense to me!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Gymrat, it's like that in every skin care!

you asked about my lump in another thread and I can't find this thread anymore, here's a picture, it's not a big deal, but it's there! I could have it removed but I more afraid of the possible scar and maybe worst

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
that is only 1/3 of my nostril!

I know it really doesn't show unless i point it out! that why I don't seek to remove it, I'm too afraid it get worst.

ppl thinks it's a tag.

here's another pix maybe you can see it better? (not my nostril but the lump LOL)

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Gymrat, it's like that in every skin care!

you asked about my lump in another thread and I can't find this thread anymore, here's a picture, it's not a big deal, but it's there! I could have it removed but I more afraid of the possible scar and maybe worst
Oh I do see it, marie. It doesn't look bad or noticeable at all though. I didn't even see it until I looked at the picture with the circle around it-

Your skin looks very healthy. I do know the lump must be a pain because it was caused by an injection. What did the Dr. say that did this?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts