Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and say hello to all. I hope I can be of assistance to everyone with any question they may have regarding skincare and makeup application/tips! As a professional makeup artist for over 10 years (mostly to fitness stars in both print and televison) and as a Beauty writer for the Examiner (please see my URL located in my profile) I'm certain I can at least get you pointed in the right direction!!
Good day to all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and say hello to all. I hope I can be of assistance to everyone with any question they may have regarding skincare and makeup application/tips! As a professional makeup artist for over 10 years (mostly to fitness stars in both print and televison) and as a Beauty writer for the Examiner (please see my URL located in my profile) I'm certain I can at least get you pointed in the right direction!!
Good day to all!
Thanks for the info. I am 80 years young and always thinking of ways to
look and feel younger. I do have lines around my mouth, crows feet and
lines underneath my cheek bones. Do you have any info. to give me os
products that will help me. I have been online tonight and found the xtendlife
cream. Also, someone told me that retinal a and vitamin c are very good for
my skin. If y ou have time, please give me a quick reply

Thanks.......Helen Flora

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hello danipage07 it's always nice to have more people with experience join us, have fun!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Helen Flora-

Good morning and thank you for your question!

First of all prescription retinoids (retin A, for instance) do well with fine lines and hyperpigmentation (melasma) because of it's ability to speed up the exfoliation of your skin. So it is going to depend on how "deep" your lines are. If they are severe enough around your mouth or at least deeper than a "fine" line I would suggest looking into derm afillers. You can visit your local plastic surgeon or if you have a medi spa in your area where they deal with derma fillers you may want to pay them a visit. There is currently derma fillers on the market today like Restylane and rejuvederm etc. In case your not familiar with derma fillers they are injected in those areas that need to be "filled" or plumped if you will and can also help with sagginess. Botox would be another thing to look into.(used between eyes and forehead) Depending on how many injections you need of Botox it can run you anywhere from $400 and up and again your plastic surgeon can do this or a doctor at a medi spa or even your dermatologist. Rejuvederm and Restylane are used around the mouth area and one syringe full of it can run you $500 or more, but the results can last up to a year. Botox will last up to 3 months. The more you do Botox however, the more lasting the result will become.

There is much controversy in the beauty world when it comes to vitamin C as to whether it's a bunch of hoopla or not. It falls into applying vitamins topically do they really work? After reading research and studying it myself it is my personal opinion you would be much better off CONSUMING vitamin C supplements as this acts as an antioxidant and helps fight free radicals in our bodies that speed up our aging process. (please ask your doctor before taking ANY supplement as they could interfere with current medications you are taking) Vitamin C topically can at worst, be irritating to some people's skin and at best, give you a subtle glow to your skin. Help reduce or get rid of wrinkles? Highly doubtful. Again, Vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps free radical damage and helps prevent unnecessary aging from things like pollution etc.

Again, without knowing the severity of your wrinkles it is hard to really suggest any topical solutions. Ongoing chemical peels used in conjunction with retin A is a good start for someone starting to develop fine lines and minor wrinkles, as with ongoing treatments of microdermabrasion. If wrinkles are deep I would stick to derma fillers, laser procedures, mini eyelifts or if severe enough a facelift of sorts whether it be a partial or full.

If surgery isn't your cup of tea stick with derma fillers and if you, like many people don't want to inject things into your face (understandable) you can look into accessories such has headbands that can be worn either under a wig or not that just look like a hair ornament but secretly give you instant lift to your entire face, or there are tapes that are connected with an almost invisible string that can strategically be placed behind each ear lifting "turkey neck" and lift eyes up. For more info on purchasing these products you can google Alcone Company to find their website. I am unfortunately unable as a "newbie" on here to give you their exact website at this time.

You can also find additional beauty tips and tricks, hair tips and much more by perusing any of the 84 articles I currently have published with Examiner. You can find that online info on my profile.

Hope this information was useful to you and a God Bless to you Miss 80 young!!!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've not read about the controversy in the beauty world about topical vitamin C. It's well proven to work. Of course there are more crappy C serums out there than good ones. The crappy ones are not well formulated and often don't tell you what the PH level is (needs to be under 3.5) or what percentage of vitamin C is in their product. And many are made with inferior forms of vitamin C. The ever popular Skinceuticals CE Ferulic is backed by much research and has a very strong following. Many, I and I mean many of us around here make our own and not only save a boat load of money but have gotten great results from this. While taking vitamin C orally is always a good thing for health/skin, applying it topically will give so much more vitamin C in your skin. Something like 20 times more is what I've read.

Retin-a (tretinoin) can be obtained very cheaply without a RX from this place. Cheapest place on the planet to purchase it. We swear by this company around here.

www.alldaychemist.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to point out that just because one has not "read" about something online or in their favorite magazine does not mean that it doesn't exist or isn't true.

I am involved in the beauty industry and I have worked with cosmetic companies such as Christian Dior, Prescriptives, English Ideas, etc. and have attended their schools/seminars where they discussed this very topic among many others. (referring to Vitamin C). Furthermore, there are things that go on in the hair industry that people may never hear about unless of course they are in the hair industry. I had the pleasure of working with Paul Mitchell as a representative where I attended many a schools and seminars and met some of the actual scientists involved with the making of their products. I learned an endless amount of things regarding their company as well as other companies and what goes into some companies products. One particular company stood out to me as they currently (and have been for sometime) one of the leaders in sales for their shampoos/conditioners etc. and unbeknownst to the general public is TERRIBLE for their hair!! Scientific proof was shown in that particular class I attended. Now is this proof readily available on the internet for one's reading pleasure? Perhaps, but perhaps not...........if not, does that mean this proof doesn't exist?

Bottom line, if one can't find it on the internet it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In addition, to purchasing a generic form of any medication via the internet or in this case well below cost of a medication that may or may not require a prescription, should not be taken too lightly. Granted, upon visiting AllDayChemist there were extremely rock bottom prices, but why? Could they be compromised somehow? Like with unknown additives that aren't normally in the product? Is the retin A "old" like has it been sitting around for longer than it should and a new expire date posted on it? Is the strength really the same as the one that requires a prescription? Is it even good quality? These are things to think about next time someone orders from a site such as this. Best case scenario, the product my end up being just fine, but may not be as potent.

This reminds me of another issue that came up with Paul Mitchell scientists, you know how you find Paul Mitchell products in some of your local grocery stores and targets? Did you know that it's not there because Paul Mitchell sold it to them? It's there via the black market (hence with the aforementioned website selling retin A at rock bottom prices) Paul Mitchell has had a fighting battle with these "black market" people. Paul Mitchell sent in people to actually purchase these products at these grocery stores etc. and brought them back to Paul Mitchell lab for testing. What did they find? Rat feces and sewer water, yes..........feces and sewer water actually in these products that were being passed off as the real thing. They were tampered with and the product itself compromised. Back in 2005 Paul Mitchell even broadcasted commercials on television advocating purchasing his products from a professional salon ONLY. As representatives we were made available a package of literature and DVD's to hand out to our salon clients to educate them so they could educate their clientele. And hey.........you can probably find that info on the internet too!

So to all, please be careful when purchasing prescriptions or professional products from the web or even at local grocery stores etc...........do you really want to risk putting rat feces and sewer water on your hair or worse yet ingesting it or putting it on your face????????????

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
O.k I get the fact that your a big shot in the industry. Good for you. Alldaychemist products are not compromised in any way. If I were to put up a pole right now you would quickly realize that. And they certainly don't sell products that resemble rat feces and sewer water.

I'm very surprised your not more up to speed on topical vitamin C. Seeing as though your at the center of things in the industry.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I became a bit suspicious of online pharmacies after ordering one of my prescription allergy nasal sprays at a very good price. The drug itself may or may not be the same as my USA prescription med, but the vehicle burned my mucus membranes like fire! What kind of savings is that?

Another experience with a different online pharmacy was a problem too. After ordering a med from them with one of my credit cards that I use only for online ordering, a bogus charge showed up from the country the pharmacy was based in. The CC company picked up on it and investigated it and canceled the card.

I'm kinda wary of ADC Lumigan....it took me 16 weeks to see any results - ppl using the USA brand are seeing better results it seems. Not very scientific, but it makes me wonder.

I hate the way USA Big Pharma rapes us with exorbitant pricing, but I've learned not to trust my health to online pharmacies now.

PS - that awful but popular hair care line wouldn't be the illustrious Pantene would it?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rapid Lash is definitely more costly but I won't order anything from an online pharmacy. If the price is too good to be true, then I suspect it's probably an inferior product. Who is to say that it hasn't been tampered with....my health is too important to entrust to an online pharmaceutical company that is here today but could be gone tomorrow!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I have to say CanadiaDrugSuperstore.com has been fine for me and I've been ordering from them for a year now. My Retin-A Micro is in a sealed airpump with French and English writing and is brand name same as my USA Rx. No problem with it whatsoever. A different Canada pharmacy has been a nightmare for me.

Caveat emptor.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Periwinkle, listen, I'm not here for a match of wits or lack there of, I simply am here to share knowledge that I have with others via a forum that allows me to do that. What you or any other reader of this forum does with this information that I post is the decision of you/that person.

I am in no way implying that I am a "big shot" in the industry I am just stating where and how I obtained such information because if I didn't not much weight would be put into what I was saying would it? It was made clear in another post in which I was involved that studies etc. where appreciated when posting comments.

Nonetheless, it would be a ridiculous thought to some how think that animosity could develop over a person that while yes, being in the industry, but mostly caring about the general public's health is somehow wrong..........don't you think??

Bottom line, just because you don't agree with another person's post, does that make that other person wrong, not up to date or just a plain liar? Not so much, it just shows that these two people disagree.

So with that being said let's just say that we agree to disagree.........respectively.

Everyone enjoy the rest of their weekend and have a blessed up coming week!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts