Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm Carolyn and I just turned the big 5-0 a couple of months ago. A little background about what brought me to this forum. I have followed a skincare regimen since I was in my teens. Of course, early on I used drugstore products (Maybelline, Max Factor, Cover Girl, L'Oreal) and then progressed into the department store brands (Estee Lauder, Lancome, Clarins, Christian Dior) and finally to the more "cosmeticeutical" products (Dermalogica, Bioelements, Pevonia). I follow the basic regimen of cleansing, toning, exfoliating, mosturizing, but I did not know about the latest anti-aging skincare "musts" (i.e., retinoids, antioxidants, hydroquinone) until recently while attending my dermatologist's open house. There were reps there from several companies, including the rep from Skinceuticals who told me all about their latest and greatest product Phloretin CF and everything it would do for my skin. Then another rep told me I needed to be using a form of Retin-A in my skincare routine. And then another rep told me I should be using hydroquinone on my brown spots. So, I came home and started doing research on all these products. After reading all the glowing remarks about these products from other websites, I ordered Skinceuticals Phloretin CF, CE Ferulic, B5 Gel, and Cellex-C Advanced C Serum. I also got the prescription products (generic tretinoin cream 0.05, Lustra 4% hydroquinone) after visiting my dermatologist's office and meeting with his aesthetician. She told me to follow this routine:

AM:
Cleanse
Topical antioxidant
Eye cream
Sunscreen

PM:
Cleanse
Retin-A
Hydroquinone (until the brown spots were gone but no longer than 8 weeks)
Eye cream
Moisturizer (if needed)

But I wanted more information about this whole process, so I started doing more research and found so much contradictory information. As I posted on another thread on this forum about Vitamin C serum, I went to Dr. Neal Schultz' dermtv website and watched all his episodes about different derm topics. What he advised was completely different from what my aesthetician said, what the Skinceuticals rep and website said, what others on the different forums (including this one) said about these products and their proper usage (order and time of application).

I even posted on the derm.net.au website, which is connected in some way to Melbourne Dermatology, about the issue regarding the oxidation of these Vitamin C serums and how that renders them ineffective. One of its regulars, Peter, was talking about how all these Vitamin C serums become oxidized once they are opened and become unstable and what the long-term effects of that would be on someone's skin.

So, I ended up here on my quest to find out any and all and everything in between I can about these products, their usage, etc. so I can experience the most effectiveness for my money (which is a lot by the way).

Thanks to everyone for your comments, suggestions, advice, etc.

Carolyn

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Welcome again.

Many of us here have used the expensive commercial C serums out there and now make our own. There are several recipes on this site.
Looks like you have a great daily skin regimine. What kind of sunscreen are you using?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome again.

Many of us here have used the expensive commercial C serums out there and now make our own. There are several recipes on this site.
Looks like you have a great daily skin regimine. What kind of sunscreen are you using?
I use EltaMD sunscreens: UV Daily (SPF 40) or UV Physical (tinted, SPF 41). The EltaMD sunscreens are physical sunscreens rather than chemical. And, there again, are all sorts of opinions about physical vs. chemical sunscreens.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I use EltaMD sunscreens: UV Daily (SPF 40) or UV Physical (tinted, SPF 41). The EltaMD sunscreens are physical sunscreens rather than chemical. And, there again, are all sorts of opinions about physical vs. chemical sunscreens.
Your not kiddin.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to join us.
I m impressed by your years of effort, dedications, and discipline! Your skin must be fantastic but yet you are not satisfied with the results. I wonder why ? Presumably, it is not glowing enough despite the tireless effort ? I just wonder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts