Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to register after looking for a place to talk (and ask) about my skin 'issues'. I guess I'll write a bit about that and myself as an introduction:

So I've been diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis which, in my case, basically means that I get some flaky skin around my nose, chin, and scalp area. It's not really that much of a problem or even that noticeable as long as I take showers regularly and exfoliate those areas, i.e., rub off the flaky skin as best I can. For about a day or two the flakes are gone and I'm fine, but then if I wait longer before taking a shower it comes back. Pretty annoying.

Anyway, I think that all that exfoliation over the years has caused my skin around those areas (especially around my nose) to be a bit more red than normal. I mean, I do notice that right after I do it the skin is redder than it is a day after, so it's gotta have something to do with it. That's the problem I'm mostly having to deal with now; finding a way to get rid of the flakes without causing much irritation to my skin. So I'm experimenting with some hydrating gels now (cremes sometimes flake on my skin).

Besides that, which is my main skin problem, I've also had to deal with acne for the past years, which also attributed to the redness. About a year ago though I started taking Isotretinoin (Accutane) which pretty much got rid of all the acne (though it wasn't much to begin with, it was quite annoying and damaging since it was coupled with the Eczema).

Now, lo and behold, I wake up today (on the day school starts again!) with two pimples on my nose! The dermatologist said that there was a 90% chance of the acne being gone forever or at least for a few years, and that if it didn't work I could take another cure of 6 months with again 90% chance. Now, I did get some acne on my head a month or so after I stopped taking it, but my face was clear. Now today, of all days today, it's back on my face....

Yeah, great stuff. I think anxiety and stress has a lot to do with it (even though I didn't really think I was that anxious or stressful about school starting...weird).

In a couple hours I gotta go to school, and I'm trying to think of a way to cover the spots (I popped them both, bad habit I know, but I had to do something), hopefully some kind of make-up thing my sister has can work to cover the redness.

Ok, so that's for all my skin problems. As for myself; I'm a 20 year old guy who likes listening to music, watching movies (aspiring film-maker), and yeah, that's about it for now.

Hi.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Welcome cyrus-

I am sorry to hear about your skin issues, and I totally understand your frustration. I too took Accutane, and had great success.

I am sorry to hear you are having a little re-occurring acne. Did your Derm give you any kind of topical to use, differin being the one I would recommend.

For your dry skin, you can try using a little jojoba oil or even grapeseed oil. Both oils are fairly light and should not cause any kind of break outs. They both work really well. Just use a little bit in the area that you need.

Both oils can be found in most health food stores. Best of luck to you, and please don't let this get you down.

Stick around this site and you will get some great advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote: Originally Posted by gymrat

I am sorry to hear you are having a little re-occurring acne. Did your Derm give you any kind of topical to use, differin being the one I would recommend.

Nah he didn't give anything else for the acne because it wasn't that bad to begin with, just inflaming the eczema so that's why I took the Accutane. I'll probably go for another cure of 6 months if the acne gets worse, but I have to wait a while so I'll probably do that next year.

Quote: Originally Posted by

For your dry skin, you can try using a little jojoba oil or even grapeseed oil. Both oils are fairly light and should not cause any kind of break outs. They both work really well. Just use a little bit in the area that you need.

Both oils can be found in most health food stores.

The weird thing is is that my skin is actually pretty oily by nature. It's part of the Seborrheic eczema. I just need a moisturizer for the flaky areas to get rid of them, though I sometimes use vaseline for that (it sucks though because in sunlight it can be seen pretty obviously so I can only use it at home).

Quote: Originally Posted by

Best of luck to you, and please don't let this get you down.

Stick around this site and you will get some great advice.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'll definitely stick around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Cyrus,
Welcome to SCT and don't stress too much over your skin condition.
Because you are 20, I am quite sure that it is a combination of "hormones, selective oily skin areas and an invasion of malessizia" thats causing those irritations.
maybe you can buy a hydrocortisone cream1% over the counter( I don't recommend daily use - just when you kinda break out )you can invest in an antifungal facial wash too..Oh and STOP picking on your pimples with your fingers!
Do remember that wellness also comes from within, so drink your H2O and cut down on your "junk food group"..ai.
All the best and see you around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try something with sulfur in it like Dr. Joesoef's 10% sulfur soap. Also try to avoid SLS & SLES. When I switched to more natural products, they helped tremendously. Also unrefined shea butter is awesome. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
hi cyrus dont worry there are lots of people on here who will be able to help you with your skin!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts