Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- erm, bit of an odd one here:
I need help chosing how to rid my underarms and bikini of hair!

Basicly, the problem I have, is that my skin is too fragile and my hair seems to be indestructable! (My leg hair seems normal though...)

I have tried using hair removal creams, only to be burnt within the 5 minutes advised- AND THE DAMN HAIR IS STILL THERE!! I have been through all the brands. I get the exact same issue with my underarms- and when I say burn, I mean red raw patches that become scaly and very sore over time.

I have tried shaving- whilst OK with my underarms, my bikini line just becomes scattered with ingrowing hairs... attractive- NOT! Its also VERY uncomfortable and I really am sick of having to shave every single day with my underarms. I do exfoliate before shaving -every day, but it makes no difference. Still ingrowing hairs!

I am afraid of waxing- not so much the pain, but because when I tried my epliator under my arms, they bled. AND STILL HAIR! STILLLLL!!!! Really not nice. I could only imagine what waxing would do... but I am getting desperate here- does anyone have any advice they could offer me?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you tried tend skin for ingrown hair, also bikini zone seems to work. I had issues too the first time i tried to do it myself and the two products got me fixed. It does take about 2 weeks for you to notice a big difference. Now i use tendskin right before and after shaving or waxing, good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that- I will look those up (and pray we have them in the UK!!)

I should add- its not a first time problem- I have been battling this year on year since I was 14- I am now 28!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do the waxing. Once you do it, you wont be so scared of what it will feel like. It lasts for a good week at least, before any stubble and little to no ingrowns. Looks like you dont have many other options unless you shell out the cash for laser and that is not painless either. If you are getting ingrowns from shaving folow the same tips men do. use a sharp, fresh razor and some type of pre-shave oil or gel first. I hear tend skin is great stuff for ingrowns. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, being a fellow-Brit, I imagine that you're fair like me. Fair skin is almost always more prone to ingrowns than people with slightly darker complexions. I've been battling hair since I was 12. I have a endocrine disease that causes my facial hair to go crazy. After spending what seemed like a lifetime of tweezing, I started using Parissa warm wax (not hot, warm). It shifts about 80% of the hair off my face and neck - leaving just the serious "whiskers" along my jaw. I liked it so much that I started with the bikini line - I do get a few ingrowns but found that a mix of witchhazel and tea tree oil works a treat. The Parissa kits also come with Azulene oil which a) soothes; b) prevents ingrowns; and c) removes any was residue. Recently, I had a go on my underarms. The pain became a bit much, so I stopped halfway through. I thought it was probably more painful than necessary because keeping the skin taut and stripping the wax at the same time is a bit tricky. However, my ever-obliging boyfriend now holds the skin taut, and I strip off the wax - it's wonderful, three strips on each pit and I'm good for a month? BTW I'm not a good candidate for laser - my hair is too fair. I've never tried any of the other waxes out there, but I can certainly recommend this one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello- erm, bit of an odd one here:
I need help chosing how to rid my underarms and bikini of hair!

Basicly, the problem I have, is that my skin is too fragile and my hair seems to be indestructable! (My leg hair seems normal though...)

I have tried using hair removal creams, only to be burnt within the 5 minutes advised- AND THE DAMN HAIR IS STILL THERE!! I have been through all the brands. I get the exact same issue with my underarms- and when I say burn, I mean red raw patches that become scaly and very sore over time.

I have tried shaving- whilst OK with my underarms, my bikini line just becomes scattered with ingrowing hairs... attractive- NOT! Its also VERY uncomfortable and I really am sick of having to shave every single day with my underarms. I do exfoliate before shaving -every day, but it makes no difference. Still ingrowing hairs!

I am afraid of waxing- not so much the pain, but because when I tried my epliator under my arms, they bled. AND STILL HAIR! STILLLLL!!!! Really not nice. I could only imagine what waxing would do... but I am getting desperate here- does anyone have any advice they could offer me?
Hi Jen,

I know how you feel with the ingrown hair, trust me..

I don't believe how those hair removal creams could work on anyone, not at least if you have quite "strong" hair, I've tried it once and yes, the hair was still there..

I've started to use Somerset's Shaving oil (tiny blue bottle with silver cap), you can get it from Boots and it's quite cheap. It's better than normal shaving creams or gels because it softens the skin and hair, so that you get more gentle shaving.. I also put some extra shaving cream on top of the oil when I shave bikini line, and I find it at least better than shaving with just cream etc.

It also leaves the skin really soft and the skin feels actually nice and moisturised after shaving, the oil gives a little bit tingling and cooling effect.. Also, you should keep exfoliating the skin after you've shaved, it keeps the pores open so that they don't get clogged, and the hair is free to come out..

Uhh, I've tried shaving my bikini line once, and haven't done it since, it was so painful!!
But I've heard that you get use to it and after that it should go smoother, I'm too much of a coward to try it again!

Hope you got somekind of help from this!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would recommend getting waxed (don't try it yourself). I'm an esthetician and believe me - as long as you have a good esthetician your results will be great. My favorite thing to get waxed is my underarms because they stay hair free for 2 weeks + and never get stubble. Only problem is that you have to grow the hair out a little. The first time you go in will be the most painful but it's really not bad at all. If you're scared of pain, take 2 ibuprofen about 30 minutes before the procedure.

As with any hair removal technique, exfoliation is critical to protect against ingrown hair. I would recommend something containing salicylic acid or even a light sugar scrub every time you shower.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I have been waxing my eyebrows, and the hair on my upper lip for over a year now. Started out every two weeks. Now I only do it about every 4 wks or so.
When I began it was a bit painful. Put oil on it IMMEDIATELY after ripping. That takes away pain really well. Now I do the wax, go over it with eye makeup remover and then oil. This takes off any left over residue from the wax. I love doing my eyebrows now because I feel like I've been spoiled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts