Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all:

I need some advice. I don't know if i over washed my face or the product used or a combination of both.

Here's the dilema:

Washed face with a salicylic acid face wash

It started tingling then burning

Used it for a a few weeks don't know why it started burning all of a sudden.

Recently started washing my face three times a day cause it is so hot.

So now i noticed that the skin around my eyes are darker turning almost black like i bleached and went in the sun and got burnt.

I used st ives scrub, some of the skin came off off.

The skin looks ashy and tight and feels scaly as though the skin is dry.

Has anyone experienced this and know what is going on and can offer some advice / solution?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes dear, you are overwashing your face and stripping the acid mantle.

Try laying off the salicylic acid for a while til you've restored your skin? I would use a gentle lotion cleanser without alcohol or acid and not use a toner either. Use just a cold cloth to dab at your face rather than washing when it's hot out. You don't need to wash 3 times a day!

St Ives scrub is the debbil - way too harsh for anything except your ******* floor. If you need to exfoliate try a microfiber cloth but not until your skin has returned to normal! If you try to exfoliate now you'll be in a world of hurt!

La Roche-Posay makes some good gentle moisturizers. Or try Vanicream which is available at Walmart. It doesn't have any irritating ingredients and will protect the skin. And wear a sunblock like Burt's Bees that has no chemical ingredients! Your skin is so delicate now and prone to UV damage more than ever.

Hope this helps and hope you get better soon!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

Skin is alive and forever changing. What to use to clean and nourish your face and keep it supple is so important.
Your complexion can improve enormously if you treat it correctly.
You've almost certainly disturbed the acid mantle of your skin with over-zealous routines. It's not necessary to wash your face 3 times daily. It has been extremely hot in the UK recently but I still wash my face only once a week and that is when I exfoliate.
Suggestions
Splash your face with cold water in the morning and use a gentle skin-toner on a cotton wool pad. This should be enough if you've cleansed your complexion the night before. If you feel you need more, choose a soap-free facial wash or cleanser.

Day-time care is all about protection against the sun, pollution and dehydration. Use a cream with an SPF factor.

Night-time
You could choose a quality cold-pressed oil for cleansing. Massage into your face and remove with a flannel. Repeat until face debris is removed and a thin film of oil will remain to nourish your complexion.
Your eye area needs protection and it's a good idea to wear sun glasses even on days which are not especially sunny.

Hope this helps,

Warm regards,

redrose

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes i agree.. its all about protecting your skin against the sun that's why nowadays we have SPF 30 or even 50 added in our daily skin care products

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You might try the Spectrogel for sensitive skin. Since I began using a RetinA/HQ routine & a TCA peel, I've been using it. Very gentle w/o stripping your skin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your poor face. Be very careful what you put on it and how often. Everything that we put on our skin goes into our body, and the face is too near the brain for my liking to be putting such harsh things on the skin.

A good quality hydrating skin care system should last all day even in hot weather.

I hope your face recovers soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts