Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've suffered with skin problems all my life but the last year it has gotten pretty bad. It's pretty much all over my body, really dry, red, sometimes raised and sometimes even ooze's (pretty gross i know!). The littlest blotch seems to just spread within a day! I've been using hydroquarterzone cream, which is the only thing i've found that gets rid of it, but as its so strong i can only use it up to 7 days, and then of course the condition comes straight back within a few days.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem? if anyone knows what it actually is? and what products anyone can suggest?

Thanks, Lucy xx

·
Registered
679 Posts
lucy i have psoriasis and my battle with it is the same as yours with eczema. i am breaking out all over. i was using triamcinolone cream that is a steroid cream like hydrocortisone. problem with using these over and over is they can damage the skin over time and make the skin thin. i was using a product that worked for moisturizing and it might have even helped me but it is too expensive for me to use. it is a cream that is made from poprolis and aloe. it is really nice cream but like i said a 4 oz tube only lasted me 2 weeks and this is something you have to use daily,twice a day. mine is all over my body but if yours is in a smaller area you could try it. it is from a company called forever young aloe products. you will have to google it. hope it helps. i loved it only i can't afford a vat of it. i might even need a caldron of it. best of luck..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can relate to using too much hydrocortizone. Trying to find other remedies to using less and less. But, so far my doctor has prescribed some menthol mixed with the creme, so that it soothed some of the redness.

I've been using shea butter and a creme called " Trixera" from a company called Avene.. It is made for eczema treatment.

As well, I have noticed a difference from taking vitamins..
Flax Seed Oil, Silica, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B..

Still searching for a cure to this eczema....

·
Registered
31 Posts
My daughter developed a cough with using the hydrocortisone. It was a dry tickle kind of cough. I couldn't figure out what would be causing it. Then a naturopath said to never use hydrocortizonehydrocortisone eczema because it would push the problem into the body and my daughter could develop a cough.

Sure enough - we took her off the hydrocortisone and the cough went away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys I'll definitely be trying the different products.
Also since then i have started using Palmers cocoa butter, it hasn't gone completely but its definitely calmed down. Worth a try to anyone trying to find a remedy.

xxx

·
Registered
580 Posts
Why don't you try Oatmeal based products to calm the skin. Or try raw Shea Butter, I used that last winter on my back,legs,arms and stomache because they got REALLY itchy, where I couldn't sleep. But putting a thick coat of Organic Shea Butter soothed down the itching a lot. I don't have eczema though but my skin gets itchy sometimes in winter.

Also, use soaps with a oil base, with moisturizing ingredients. Don't use exfoliating ingredients and products. I heard that a lot of illnesses are by inflammation within the body. Omega 3s are believed to calm down inflammation within the skin so maybe you try a high concentration in Fish Oil. You should try do some research on supplements that may help, I think the issue is more internal.

You should also look at eating habits, maybe you are allergic to something..

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
have any of you tried the light therapy treatments? theyre probably best done by a dermatologist i think.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My niece and nephew also suffer from terrible Eczema. And my niece uses Aveeno lotion on her skin and it does improve her eczema. Aveeno is an oatmeal based product, and I have also used it (not for eczema reason) but its really good. I do recommend it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi there, I really feel for you. I had eczema as a child and now my eldest daughter is suffering through it. You really aught to get a RAST blood test which checks for food allergies to start with, or even the pinprick test up your arms which will tell you fi you are also allergic to dust mites, pollen, cat hair etc.

We tried the palmers cocoa butter lotions too but they made her scream as they stung and it was because of the mineral oil content and fragrance. It did show some minor improvement but not worth the screaming.

Please, please try St Ives soothing body wash with oatmeal and shea in the shower then (its a little expensive but it works better than the other lotions which have fragrance) use the Aveeno HAND lotion. Put it on two to three times a day and you will see drastic improvement topically. It will never get rid of eczema - nothing does that's why there are so many 'cures' for it but it really does help and it doesn't sting. If you have eczema on your face and need to wash your face free of sunscreen or make-up, use extra virgin olive oil, sprinkled with some water. My daughter's skin is looking so healthy at the moment with only a tinge of red at the end of each day. We have spent $1000s on lotions, potions, supplements, dietary changes and this basic skin care maintanence is working the best so far - even beyond hydrocortizone which is becoming less effective as she gets older.

I hope you find some relief soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Practical self help:
*If you suspect that one of these foods may be aggravating your problem, cut it out of your diet for a month. If you observe a change for the better while avoiding this item, reintroduce it, watching to see if there is any reaction. If an adverse reaction takes place (intensification or reappearance of the problem), avoid it again for a few weeks. If improvement occurs again with re-emergence of the problem once the offending food is reintroduced for a second time, the chance are that you have identified a food to which you are sensitive and should avoid until the condition can be dealt with at a deeper level (ideally, through alternative medical treatment).
*Although some eczema sufferers find that hot, sunny weather aggravates their condition, many find that carefully regulated, moderate exposure to sunlight improves it. However, great care should be taken to avoid overexposure to the sun, avoiding times of the day when it is at its strongest and most likely to cause damage to the skin. Use a sunscreen and always patch-test it first to check that it will not trigger off an adverse reaction. Apply the product to a very small area of skin for a few days, and wait to see if there is any reaction before using it on larger areas of the body.
*Always ensure that irritated, dry or itchy patches of eczema are kept well moisturized, especially after bathing or showering. It is also important to keep skin well lubricated and supple during the winter when weather conditions and centrally heated rooms are likely to have a dehydrating effect on the skin. Liberal use of emulsifying cream and ointment may be very helpful after bathing in keeping the drying effect of water on the skin to a minimum, but always check that any products you use are lanolin-free, since lanolin can trigger severe skin reactions in those who are allergic or sensitive to it.
It is very good self help for serious eczema. It will help you to prevent you from eczema.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used Canesten - a cream for vaginal thrush after a suggestion from a pharmacist. My 8 year old suffered with eczema for about a year and it cleared it up. Give it a try it worked for her. we have tried various things from cortisone creams to various home remedies and spent a pretty penny too!!! Canesten did the job for us!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i use aveeno unsented lotion Dove unsented body wash and the deodorant alse Alls washing detergent. Take lots of vitamins flaxseed oil and fish oils. and wash up with a very little of blech so basicly go on a unsented diet lol i have done this for 2 year and havent had an extreme break out. and it is best when u get out of the shower you dry off in the bathroom will its still stemy and put lotion on quick to lock in moisture. stay away from sented stuff and parfums it has way to much unnecessary chemicals in to that will hurt, burn and itch your skin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried bleach baths?

I just posted about my experience with this in another topic, beach bath helps eczema. Sorry, can't post link since I haven't made 15 posts or more.

·
Registered
679 Posts
i have an update and i hope it will help with your exzema also. i started on vit d3 1000iu and i am now using a cream called rosehips and hibiscus scar cream. the cream started to help my psoriasis almost right away. i no longer have scaly skin on my arms, still working on my legs but the lesions were there longer and the cream seems to be doing it's job. i know it says scar cream but it helped clear my scaly, nasty to look at arms in 3 months of use. i wish they made it in a larger size. i started taking vitamin d3 about 2 months ago so i don't know which one helps the most but my arms are clear!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been suffering with exzema for years...I like all of you have been to many dermatologists and even regulars MD's and all they do is prescribe the same old steroid cream...tell you its detergents or stress....and after spending so much money and time nothing helped....then by accident...I've been talking to my sister who is suffering with yeast infections due to her antibiotics....she gets vaginal yeast infections..we both looked into this for my exzema and low and behold!!! Yes it is yeast in my body coming through as exzema on my skin!! I had one beer last weekend and my hands were sooo bad...so this week I started an antifungal/yeast medication....that my sister got from her dr's...its Nystatin or you can take Diflucan for yeast infections...OH MY GOD!!! My hands were cleared by the 2nd day! So now I have to stay on a yeast free diet and I dont mind....google yeast and exzema...you will be surprised at the results...I couldnt wait to share this with all of you on here...please try it....no breads...or sugars or pasta...but it can be done!!! Please give it a chance...I am soo much better now...I actually didnt have to put gloves on to shower like a usually do because my hands hurt so much ! Good Luck and please give it a try!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Justme1, do you think a topical antifungal cream would work too? I still have a lot of breakout on my hands, even with fragrance-free hand products and using gloves. I still have occasional breakouts elsewhere, but nothing like what's going on on my hands. I'll have to look at my diet too since I'm a big sugar addict.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try the antifungal creams..why not..I actually bought monistat for my hands..it helps a bit...but I am taking a slew of supplements...like Capryl, Pau D'arco..oil of oregano...if you go to vitamin shoppe or whole foods..they have these yeast/candida cleanse supplements for the body to rid of yeast...the stuff in those packages are exactly what I'm taking...my hands are getting better and my neck is completely clear...but I am still suffering a bit with flare ups...but it has gotten better since I am doing this yeast thing...also regarding sugars..pasta's, bread, cookies etc ..try to avoid them since they aggravate yeast...I am drinking soda with stevia...which is the only sweetener that doesnt aggravate yeast..think about it..if you make bread..when you add sugar to the yeast the yeast bubbles..thats what I feel like its doing under my skin...I think in a few days I should be back to my old self again...so hang in there...and def give it a try...even see if you can get a prescription of Diflucan from your dr since it is for yeast infections...any other help...please feel free to ask...I am an excema sufferer for years....now this yeast thing is the only thing that seems to work...good luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Oil of Oregano is excellent and should help your eczema. i found this on the net, hope it helps!

--------------------------------------
What are the Benefits of Oil of Oregano?

The ancient Greeks were one of the first people to recognize oregano oil for its health benefits and medicinal qualities. It is known to be a potent antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic oil that can reduce pain and inflammation and effectively fight off infections.

Some of the specific benefits of Oil of Oregano are:

Destroying organisms that contribute to skin infections and digestive problems.
Strengthening the immune system.
Increasing joint and muscle flexibility.
Improving respiratory health.

Uses of Oil of Oregano

Skin Infections
Oil of Oregano can be applied directly onto the skin to treat itches, skin infections, and irritated gums, but only if it has been diluted. Always follow the instructions on your particular bottle before applying topically onto the skin, since highly concentrated oils may first need to be mixed with Olive Oil or Coconut Oil before application (usually one teaspoon of Olive Oil or Coconut Oil per one drop of Oil of Oregano).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try hyaluronic serum! It works almost instantaneously for my eczema. It's the only thing that actually gets rids of it. Apricot moisturizer is good but nothing compared to hyaluronic serum. You can find it for less then 20 bucks on ebay. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try the antifungal creams..why not..I actually bought monistat for my hands..it helps a bit...but I am taking a slew of supplements...like Capryl, Pau D'arco..oil of oregano...if you go to vitamin shoppe or whole foods..they have these yeast/candida cleanse supplements for the body to rid of yeast...the stuff in those packages are exactly what I'm taking...my hands are getting better and my neck is completely clear...but I am still suffering a bit with flare ups...but it has gotten better since I am doing this yeast thing...also regarding sugars..pasta's, bread, cookies etc ..try to avoid them since they aggravate yeast...I am drinking soda with stevia...which is the only sweetener that doesnt aggravate yeast..think about it..if you make bread..when you add sugar to the yeast the yeast bubbles..thats what I feel like its doing under my skin...I think in a few days I should be back to my old self again...so hang in there...and def give it a try...even see if you can get a prescription of Diflucan from your dr since it is for yeast infections...any other help...please feel free to ask...I am an excema sufferer for years....now this yeast thing is the only thing that seems to work...good luck!!!!
Thanks Justme! I have Monistat, so I'm giving that a try. I'm off to my local health food store, so I'll take a look at those cleansing supplements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts