Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK--I reversed all sun exposure using only glycolics, TCA peels and then retin-a (and melasma with tri-luma). Suddenly I am at a point where my skin is peeling still and flaking and it is getting to a place in areas where there seems to be NO pigment at all and it is so light that I am like a really, REALLY, light skin WHITE almost Geisha look. Has anyone gone through this? There is no explanation I have at present it is just retin-a I am using to help exfoliate the last of my top to toe tca peels but the peeling is going for weeks in all areas and soooo deep.

I did not set out to lighten as much as get rid of discolouration and did not use any of the harsher lightners. I am a bit freaked.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Lexi, its the strong TCA peels, the three strengths of peels: mild, medium, and deep, TCA is classified in the deep range and the risks associated with that and the other deep peel: Phenols are that it goes down to ur melanocytes and disrupts them making your depigmented thats why phenol and stronger TCA peels are not recommended for darker skin types or for people who are not Fitz I-II b/c they destroy the natural color of the skin and in some cases its irreversible. I do recall you used multiple applications/coatings of high strength TCA. Dont worry, its probably just the skin returning to its original color, if its still flaking and it takes a month at least to recover from strong or consecutive TCA peels. If it still stays depigmented then you are going to have to REPIGMENT by naturally tanning out in the sun or using self tanners to even it out.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of realised this. I went TOO deep in a couple areas and they are not peeling/flaking at ALL they are just white (yellow/white asian colour) but the rest of me had the pigment left and I was actually mad at myself for not being braver and taking it longer, it is what I call my "permatan" which is maybe a misnomer because I think ANYONE over 2 years old has a different colour skin after a few exposures. I am turning very light though. I went out and bought three different kinds of self-tanner, problem is that I am so flaking that I cannot even use that!

The strange thing is that the TCA is working LONG after the fact. Like I have freckles that are "peeling off" every few days still, then they leave a bloody area and heal perfectly white and normal.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I kind of realised this. I went TOO deep in a couple areas and they are not peeling/flaking at ALL they are just white (yellow/white asian colour) but the rest of me had the pigment left and I was actually mad at myself for not being braver and taking it longer, it is what I call my "permatan" which is maybe a misnomer because I think ANYONE over 2 years old has a different colour skin after a few exposures. I am turning very light though. I went out and bought three different kinds of self-tanner, problem is that I am so flaking that I cannot even use that!

The strange thing is that the TCA is working LONG after the fact. Like I have freckles that are "peeling off" every few days still, then they leave a bloody area and heal perfectly white and normal.
what is your beginning complexion? i need som MAJOR help with my elbows and knees
such a slooooow process

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is your beginning complexion? i need som MAJOR help with my elbows and knees
such a slooooow process
To begin with I am about as dark (without sun) as your photo is on your display. NOW I am chalk white! I mean I am like REALLY white, whiter than most white people, like Irish/English white. It does not look real it looks "de-pigmented" but I know it will come back I just need to wait for the peels.

I HIGHLY recommend double layers of tca 30% on the hard areas, it does not even hurt much there (my knees are peeling and peeling too!). Follow up with retin-a and it continues to turn the skin over so fast the new skin comes up de-pigmented, how long it stays I think depends on how long you can keep it from UV exposure.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
To begin with I am about as dark (without sun) as your photo is on your display. NOW I am chalk white! I mean I am like REALLY white, whiter than most white people, like Irish/English white. It does not look real it looks "de-pigmented" but I know it will come back I just need to wait for the peels.

I HIGHLY recommend double layers of tca 30% on the hard areas, it does not even hurt much there (my knees are peeling and peeling too!). Follow up with retin-a and it continues to turn the skin over so fast the new skin comes up de-pigmented, how long it stays I think depends on how long you can keep it from UV exposure.
Yikes.. id look horrid white.. i may still consider trying it on my difficult areas thoughh.. how long was yoru downtown?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STILL GOING! If it is a small area you can manage, I did ALL over I was REAL bad about 5 days then it has been so far about two weeks more and the peeling and flaking is still going and going and going. If I did just my elbows or knees it would be easy to hide with like vaseline or something. If you have REAL dark elbows or knees for sure try it. I had the "folds" of darkness, they are GONE now.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Multi-layered 30%. I suggest you practice first. You DO want frosting, it will hurt but you are not going to scar at this level. I did two layers mostly and when I did large areas (body, legs, arms) I learned it was best to use eyeliner and mark circles and do one circle at a time because otherwise you panic you are burning and may neutralise other areas too soon. It hurts like HELL I promise that much.

·
Registered
245 Posts
OK cool.. I was thinking of going ahead with using retin a for a few weeks without any lightening agents.....

Now im sure to consider the tca peel.. where can i buy it to do it at home ? Lexi I am desperate to get your response on this...

and how many bottles would you suggest I buy ? Do they last long or not too long ????

Please respond at the earliest.. I will start tca immediately .. I need to get white like you are right now..

·
Registered
524 Posts
tca 30+% peels caused me 3 weeks hiding from the world, then depressing hyperpigmented areas around the eyes, and after the initial pinkness faded, i expected to look lighter, but looked darker than ever for 6 mos.

lookin forward to lexi's update 3 mos to 6 mos from now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@ guesswhoi am.. my sympathies with you . take care of yourself and your skin

@ lexi - where did you get your tca from ?

Please respond!

·
Registered
108 Posts
tca 30+% peels caused me 3 weeks hiding from the world, then depressing hyperpigmented areas around the eyes, and after the initial pinkness faded, i expected to look lighter, but looked darker than ever for 6 mos.

lookin forward to lexi's update 3 mos to 6 mos from now.
lol anti-optimism
good luck with ur hyperpigemntations getting fixed

1 - 20 of 37 Posts