Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks Im totally new to this and would just really appreciate some advice. I work as a male stripper and use sunbeds a fair bit to keep up a deep tan I try to cover my nose to keep the skin clear from damage. I have slight dry skin on my forehead and the rest of my face is neutral. I use an Anti bacterial face wash and a toner and a non oil based moisturiser. I do a facial scrub about 2 times a week but stay clear of my nose as it seems to make it more oliy. I would really like to close up the pores and reduce the shiny oil look. please please help. kind regards Rod

·
Registered
220 Posts
Products with Glycolic acid are really great for pore minimizing pores and clearing blackheads. MD Formulations and PH Advantage have some great products you might want to look into.

Take a look around the site here as there are many threads that talk about oily problems!

Welcome here by the way - nice avatar! WOOHOO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply that sounds like fantastic advice I will search out the products you reccomend and give them a try Ive never used glycolic before. Thankyou for saying my picture is nice it was a charity auction for our local Special baby care unit so it has special memories for me x

·
Registered
224 Posts
hehe nice pic

·
Registered
255 Posts
You have to be real careful when using Glycolic acids. They can be painful and burn your skin if they are too potent.

There are lines that have you start off with a low percentage and work your way up.

One thing you have got to know is that pores DO NOT SHRINK. They are hereditary-some products can help minimize the look but not completely erase them. To go that far you'd probably need a laser procedure.

Have you ever tried oil blotting sheets? The ones from Clean & Clear work really well. You can find them at Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, etc...
They are inexpensive and portable-oh and discreet too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The products I mentioned that have Glycolic Acid are minimal enough. They aren't like using a Glycolic Peel, but their bioavailability is enough that they work and removing dirt and grime, black heads that make the pores look larger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thankyou so much for your advice Im really touched. Naturally and Bad Cat you are both very kind. I feel a bit silly asking for help but having a shiny nose and slightly open pores just gets me down from time to time. So any help is greatly appreciated and I will try everyones advice to see if it improves and report back. (Bad Cat Your an absolute fox and Naturally Im sure you are too) Thank you all x x x

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks RodmrO
It's really nice to hear those compliments once in a while.

Good luck in your search for the stop the shine mission

Don't worry or feel silly-we are all here to share and learn. Trust me Naturally is very smart you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,
I tried a facial scrub including my nose then applied a white clay mask to my nose then used lime juice which I left for 5 mins then l'oreal facial toner (with Glycolic acid in) then some a small ammount of anti septic cream. Then went to bed. Woke up and my pores are really tight and although the tip of my nose was a bit shiny overall it seems to have improved. What do you think ladies? Good ideas? and if so what frequency should I do this or a similar routine for. Thank you again x x x

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would try that maybe 2x a week and go from there. You can either back off or bump it up - 3x, etc. Sounds good so far - the clay mask most likely has some drying properties in it (as most clay masks do), lime juice - citric acid is a great bennie. The toner with glycolic acid will help clear the pores. GA is like the de-gluer and helps break up dead skin and unclogs those pores, which is what makes them SO large looking. The anti-septic cream - go lightly, especially if it contains any petroleum products. You could probably even skip it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You are getting great advice here. I too suffer from the larger pores....not a pleasant thing we have to deal with. Like Bad Cat said, we can't always shrink them, but we can make them look smaller by keeping them clear and clean - unclogged. I used to do the lime juice thing, but became to sensitive to it....go slowly....depending on your sensitivity.

And you'll notice Naturally is a skin care guru and give some great advice!!! Glad both Bad Cat and Naturally came to your rescue - great gals!!!!

Another thing I used to do is take equal parts cucumber juice (I smashed my own) and equal parts lime juice (again smashed my own) and slather on skin for up to 5 minutes before you shower....this sometimes will reduce the oil too....yet the cucumber is soothing.

Oh and you tapped into some very smart girls here....they gave you great advice.

Welcome to skincaretalk....we are all here for the same reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am again in all your debts with the fantastic help you have all given to me Im truly touched by all of the advice and tips and that people have taken time out to offer their knowledge. I suppose its trial and error so I will just keep on and see what works but try with out the anti septic cream? regard me as a guinea pig
all. Any more suggestions Ill glady give all a go and report back x x x

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think with all the other products you are using, it isn't essential to use the anti-septic cream. Unless you are using it for moisturizing properties.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You'll know what's best for your skin by the signs it shows ie...peeling, flaking, redness.

Just use your best judgement and don't overuse anything. Sounds like you found something that works

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey there girls,
Im really throwing my self into this
Im having a thread vein laser session (Something I started about two years ago but never went back to finish) I only have a couple of small ones but they contribute to some reddening on my nose. Also Ive ordered a 30ml bottle of 50% Glycolic acid as I seem not to have any sensitivity issues with the 30% solution. How long following the laser treatment should I leave it before using the Glycolic and how many times a week do you suggest I use a stronger solution for the same or less frequently? I think your last advice was either bi or tri weekly.
Thankyou so much again as the results so far have been brilliant love to you all x x x

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think I would have stuck with the 30% GA solution for now. Ask the doctor or whoever is doing your laser as to how long you should wait. I'd say at least 1 week if not 2 before doing any GA treatments. The norm for GA is usually 1x a week and that's using a mild percentage. I would go with that 1x a week and IF you bump up to the 50% definitely only 1 x a week. You NEED to give your skin a chance in between.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi!

The body shop also has an awesome mattifying moisturizing tea oil face gel. Be sure to ask the clerk about their monthly specials as the moisturizing gel is usually around 14$ but they go on special 2 for 20$.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts