Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 20 years old and have been dealing with acne for years....since middle school, I have been to doctors tried several antibotics, tried accutane which worked for about a year then it all came back, I've tried creams... and I just cant get clear skin!!! I hate it!!!!

I have a good diet, I keep my skin clean... does anyone have any suggestions of what to use to help:

control acne
and to get rid of acne scars....

thank you so much!!!!!

I'm new so any info would help!!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble...has your Dr recommended another round of Accutane?
Maybe microdermabrasion/peels could help once the acne is under control. Some oral contraceptives also help by changing the hormonal activity of the skin.

Hope this helps in some way.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thank you!!!! but i started my second round of accutane but had to stop (money issues), but i was told doing peels isnt good when you have accutane still in your system, is that true? or is that just for tca peels?

thanks alot for your help!!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I hope it works out for you too!!!

Please ask your Dr's nurse about financial assistance from the manufacturer. She may have the forms already or know of a quick way to get you on the program! You are by no means the only one who can't afford it....truly!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
well thank you!!!! but i started my second round of accutane but had to stop (money issues), but i was told doing peels isnt good when you have accutane still in your system, is that true? or is that just for tca peels?

thanks alot for your help!!!!
NO peels of ANY kind while you are taking Accutane. My derm recommends waiting 6 months after finishing your last dose. 12 months to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Acne is a condition that is characterized by plugged pores; white heads and blackheads, deep lumps and pimples. The condition usually affects people on the upper arms, face, neck, chest and shoulders. Acne does not discriminate against age but it is people in their teens who mostly suffer from it. Among the effects of the condition is the patient getting upset and disfiguring of the affected parts. Permanent scars may occur in the very severe cases although some acne types leave scars regardless of the severity of the condition
www,botanical-source,com

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Pumi I don't really always agree with this term but it fits here(...go big or go home...) you can try diluting it if you want, but I haven't ever heard of someone having a bad reaction to it. I used it full strength.... There is something else you can try there "Nature's own" it's a very mild but natural cleanser... you can even use it to clean cuts, and abbrassions as well.. I find it smells like tea treee oil. and a little dab goes a long way, that and a very soft facial brush to try and delicately dig the stuff out of your pores.. Good luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Different things always work for different people. For me, a combination of a mild cleanser, 2x a day benzoyl peroxide application and mild moisturizer has worked amazingly. All fragrance-free and being super, super gentle with the skin. I got my regimen from this site and it seems to have worked for a lot of people:

w w w . a c n e . o r g

If you think you want to try it, just remember that it takes time and patience. It took about 2 months before I noticed an improvement and a good 6 months to be almost totally clear.

I also think that positive thoughts help because they will boost self-esteem. I always tell myself "My skin is healthy and has the abillity to heal itself". I wrote this on my mirror for a while when my acne was severe.

Good luck on your quest!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Please read the info about benzoyl peroxide under the Topical Antibacterials section of this article:

Smart Skin Care: Acne treatments

It certainly helps in the short run, but I would worry about the cell damage it causes and the free radicals it generates in terms of long-term results! Good skin now/aged skin later.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, I have heard that about Benzoyl Peroxide. I did struggle with this but talked to my dermatologist about it. Basically, BP is an oxidant (which can cause cell death, etc. long term). SO we concluded together that since BP is the ONLY thing that keeps me clear that it would be safe to use if I am also using a large load of antioxidants every day to counteract. It's the same idea with the recent sunscreen debate.

Basically I had to make this choice: live with severe acne (cystic and scarring) OR use BP 2x a day plus antioxidants and have clear skin. Easy decision for me.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Glad it's working for you Vananners! Just so you are medically informed about it. It's a hard decision to make, and everyone should have the facts before jumping on this bandwagon.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, and I know it may not work for everyone. I'm lucky it did for me as some people can never find a 'cure' for their acne. It's been a long and painful road (6 years) and I'd love to not use it that's for sure. It dries out my skin pretty badly. Maybe someday (fingers crossed)!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts