Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 22 years old with Irish and French skin, very fair, susceptible to sunlight, ages well, prone to breakouts! I know that this time of year is really no good to expect a fresh complexion, but I'm getting desperate and broke! I've tried the "Clean and Clear in shower exfoliating facial scrub" as well as every product in the neutrogena deep clean line, all natural, lightly to acne-grade medicated, you name it, I've probably tried it!!

I'm at my wit's end trying to find a way to clear up my skin. I don't have a severe case of acne, most of my blemishes look like cysts, basically a clogged pore that is aggravated so it swells around the clog... I know it's bad for me, but I can't help myself, I try to squeeze out the aggravation before it becomes HUGE and red. It happens everytime regardless of whether I touch the thing or not. They mostly occur on my chin/jaw line, nose & upper cheeks (just under the eye socket), between my eyebrows, and all over my forehead and hair line.

I'm going out of my mind here
, and I can't afford a monthly $20 payment for some fancy system. I tried a few remedies that I found on YouTube which worked but only for a couple weeks or so, and a honey and cinnamon blemish clearing goo, but I'm at a loss
!

Does anyone else have these types of skin problems? If so, did anyone find a reasonably priced cure? I don't think I can leave college with the same skin I entered high school with!

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Try retin-a, i see Ondine gave u the links to get it cheap and without a script on another thread

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current routine is one of three neutrogena products (Deep Clean Creme, D.C. Invigorating, and D.C. Invigorating scrub) or neutrogena anti-acne face wash in the morning and right before bed, whether or not I'm wearing makeup I wash my face twice daily. I use Clean & Clear's Anti-Acne moisturizer once daily. It usually is worse at my dad's house because the town where I live and this house have especially hard water.

I did get Ondine's site picks, I wasn't aware that Retin A could clear up my skin! I'll give it a try, but I'm wary of ordering online and a $24 shipping fee is a bit steep right now.

I'm on a budget, but if there's some kind of soap or face wash that I could get that works in spite of the water here and can clear up these blemishes, I would be eternally grateful!

Many thanks to everyone for helping! <3

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
My current routine is one of three neutrogena products (Deep Clean Creme, D.C. Invigorating, and D.C. Invigorating scrub) or neutrogena anti-acne face wash in the morning and right before bed, whether or not I'm wearing makeup I wash my face twice daily. I use Clean & Clear's Anti-Acne moisturizer once daily. It usually is worse at my dad's house because the town where I live and this house have especially hard water.

I did get Ondine's site picks, I wasn't aware that Retin A could clear up my skin! I'll give it a try, but I'm wary of ordering online and a $24 shipping fee is a bit steep right now.

I'm on a budget, but if there's some kind of soap or face wash that I could get that works in spite of the water here and can clear up these blemishes, I would be eternally grateful!

Many thanks to everyone for helping! <3
I use RA and although it is great, I thought I would suggest/recommend a few things you could try first. Have you ever tried a face wash containing salicylic acid? It is great for acne prone skin. It really helps to dry them up. I would not recommend using a face scrub having acne prone skin. It is too abrasive. Try using a face mask, preferably mud or clay based, once a week instead of the scrub.

Best of luck-

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem, both with my skin and my pocketbook! I am currently using Erno Laszlo products and although they are a bit pricy, you can find what you need on e-Bay for way less than they cost retail. Check it out. They are seriously good products that last a very long time, at least 3 months.

If you should find that these are too expensive, try this:

First off, don't scrub if you have acne! It makes it worse! If you feel like just washing doesn't get your face clean, try this method:

Fill sink with comfortably hot/warm water and place your cleansing bar in the water for a minute.

Take the bar and rub it on your wet face.

Wash your face with your hands and then use the soapy water in the sink to splash your face 20 times.

Drain the sink and splash your face 10 more times with clean running water.

Pat dry with a clean towel. Use a clean towel every time.

This method works wonders for me. I use a bath towel around the sink because I tend to get water everywhere when I splash.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gymrat! I'll try the mask, I do use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash with Salycilic (sp? I never know!) Acid and it seems to work for a couple of days then the bumps come back with a vengeance! It's like my skin is punishing me for disturbing it... grrr.

MrsAdams, thanks to you too, I'll give your method a try first because I'm a little wary of ordering things online. I have the same problem with splashing too, my dad has called me the Tazmanian Devil of Water!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help! <3

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely forgot about that mask, thank you so much Fawnie! I'm going to give it a try ASAP.

So far my diet leaves little to be desired... a bit too much grease, preservatives and soda, and not enough water and fresh fruits and veggies, BUT I'm making the lifestyle change, it's a bit tough though, being a student with no job and very little time on my hands!

For anyone interested:
Question; I've heard eating cucumbers helps to hydrate from the inside out which can lead to more healthy, glowing skin... is this true?

Another: I'm an aspiring makeup artist and will be starting airbrushing services soon... anyone have a preferred brand of airbrush foundation? Suggestions and reviews are welcome (please PM them!)

One more: my skin is always glowing, perfectly soft, and even immediately after I wash my face... any tips about how I can make this last? (that refreshed, 'just rinsed my face', glow)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Cucumbers are one of the vegetables with the highest water contents. So you won't have any more benefit than drinking water and taking a multivitamin. Nothing specially really.

I have no idea about the make up.

There are several ways to get the skin glowing in the way you say so:

1. You actually wash your face more often, if you're gentle and use proper cleansers you can get away with washing more than once or twice a day with no ill effect.

2. You can use those "refreshing wipes" to clean your face during the day.

3. You can buy those water sprays that are supposed to do the same thing as the wipes, I'm not a big fan because whenever you apply spray to your face, the water evaporates and it will dry your face.

4. I like to blot my face with my towel and that absorbs oils and stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Bonjour Theatre du Reves and welcome!
I used to have severe acnee too, those cystic zits are painful! I've tried everything from accutane to proactive, nothing worked for me. But I tried one of those at home dermabraasions (from Avon) and that quickly took care of the problem for me. I do it once a week and voila, no more pimples! Good Luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh merci beaucoup Mony!!!!

I tried my own "brand" of exfoliation with an idea I got from youtube. Michelle Phan (look her up, anyone interested, she does makeup and skincare tutorials with natural/easy to acquire ingredients), who is a fantasic youtuber, suggested a mild exfoliant or microdermabrasion kit (she preferred Olay, as well, I think) applied to the face and instead of using your fingers to scrub, use an electric toothbrush. I've been told not to scrub because it's bad for acne prone skin, would the Olay stuff irritate my sensitive skin?

Thanks a bunch, Freddy! Any suggestions as to which skin cleansers are gentle enough to do so?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
If you have acne and sensitive skin, I for sure wouldn't use the electric tooth brush. When I had acne I would use a baby brush a couple times a week. But I didn't have sensitive skin. Just be careful not to be too aggressive with what ever you are using to exfoliate.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The idea behind the electric tooth brush is a good one, however I agree with gymrat. If your skin is that sensitive skip the brush, and use your weaker fingers lightly to "glide" the product on. The idea is to help scrub out the pores, not irrate them any further. Should your skin get irratated, (mine does at times) I make a strong batch of green tea, and use it as a compress for my face. It does wonders for me!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok, so I've spent countless hours studying acne so maybe I can assist. It sounds to me like you're trying way too many things at once. Remember that a pimple takes 2-3 weeks to form. Give every new regimen and product at least a month before you decide to move onto something else. Also, acne-prone skin tends to be very sensitive so bombarding it with new treatments can make matters much worse. I learned that lesson the hard way myself. It's very tempting to try new, promising things but what has worked for me to get clear are treatments that have been proven by double-blind peer-reviewed scientific studies. I also highly recommend Paula Begoun's books, they have literally saved my skin and my wallet.

First off, cleansers that contain any 'active' ingredient such as salicylic, glycolic, etc. are a waste of money. You are literally just washing those ingredients down the drain. They do not stay on the skin long enough to be effective. Get a moisturizer or some other kind of treatment with these ingredients and they will be much more effective.

Bar soaps are not good for acne-prone skin. Think of it this way - the ingredients that are used to keep it in the solid bar form will stay on the skin and can clog pores. Not saying it is this way for everyone, but in my opinion it's better to be safe than sorry.

Try a simple, simple routine and your skin will thank you. I recommend the acne.org website and regimen. A mild cleanser, benzoyl peroxide treatment and mild moisturizer. An exfoliation treatment (chemical, salicylic moisturizer)should be added about a month into the regimen.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What about those blotting papers? I like Shiseido's Pure line for oily skin - they have a bit of translucent powder on them in addition to blotting.
Blotting papers are awesome btw! Great for oily skin...I use so many I should take out stock in them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks to everyone that has contributed, I'd like to think that I know plenty about skin and skin care, but it is true that one never stops learning. I'll give the methods suggested a try, and I appreciate everyone's help.

Right now I'm settling on Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser at night with honey spot treatments and aspirin treatments as needed, but no more than 2-3 times per week (too much has been drying me out), and Neutrogena (their products have been good to me) Rapid Clear Shine Control Cream Cleanser in the morning. I moisturize with Clean & Clear Anti-Acne moisturizer. This regimen has improved my skin tone so far, but it's only 2, or so, days into this one, so I'll keep y'all posted.

Vananners, thank you very much for your advice, I do find myself being a bit too hasty to change my routine when it doesn't work right away, so I could do with a little patience before I give up and spend more.

Again, thanks to everyone! I've learned so much and your advice not only saves my skin, you help me with my career!
<3

·
Registered
13 Posts
how much water do you drink on a daily basis? if you drink about 3 litres a day you'll really start to see a huge improvement. simple things have great effect over a decent mount of time

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
moneylog, I truly believe that if anyone was interested in your product, now they will have lost interest! There are thousands of people whom read these threads and can respect the fact that " there is no advertising here". That is pretty sad, the truth is there is such a thing as bad publicity, and this was "IN POOR TASTE!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts