Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could recommend a product that would help with sun damaged skin. I just started Friday night with the green cream, (I ordered a sample of L6) so I am going to see if that helps with my adult acne and large pores. I, like many people LOVED to bake in the sun for many many years, I do have some under eye wrinkles and loose neck skin.

I also was laid off from work a few months back, so I really can not afford expensive products. My older daughter will be going off to college in the fall and I really cant afford to pamper my self with too many products. I do not want to neglect my skin, but on a tight budget it seems very hard to do.

I never really had nice skin and all those years of tanning are starting to catch up. I know there is no "miracle" cream, but I thought maybe somebody could offer some suggestions. One other question, how long does it normally take to see results from the green cream, and if any, what kind of results have others had. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
HI Mom
Everyone is different in their responses to GC. I like the way it smoothed my skin the first week I used it, but my skin is normal, altho had sun damage: lines, dark spots.

The lines become smoother looking due to the silicone in the GC. The dark spots take longer to fade. Using Vit C serum in the daytime + sunscreen will help also. MSM + vit C supplements by mouth help with the dark spots.

When you say "sun damage" what do you mean? It means different things to different ppl.

Here is the Green Cream Forum which answers many questions related to GC use, as that is mostly what they are talking about there:

ADVANCED SKIN TECHNOLOGY • View forum - Green Cream General Discussion

Good luck with it and post back how it's helping you!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend Fawnie....

Thank you for responding!!!!! When I say sun damaged I guess I mean, hmmmm Im not quite sure how to describe.....gee...well, for one nose to cheek area is not smooth, kinda like.....I cant believe I cannot find the right words to describe this.....it is not tight (my large pores make this appear worse) I am sorry that I am having a difficult time describing this, you think you asked me an engineering question )LOL

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
No problem, do you mean like sagging, or large pores, or rough texture?

Green Cream is a retinol and helps to undo sun damaged skin. It helps stimulate collagen production within the skin. It helps slough off the outer horny layer and thickens the dermis, the underlayer, to smooth out the wrinkles.

I think you should see a big improvement week by week using the GC. It can take up to 6 months for some ppl to see a drastic change.

You don't need to spend a fortune to have good skin. That's what this is all about - sharing info and experience and pointing out some great ideas to each other. Please share your experience with it as you go too!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
I was wondering if someone could recommend a product that would help with sun damaged skin. I just started Friday night with the green cream, (I ordered a sample of L6) so I am going to see if that helps with my adult acne and large pores. I, like many people LOVED to bake in the sun for many many years, I do have some under eye wrinkles and loose neck skin.

I also was laid off from work a few months back, so I really can not afford expensive products. My older daughter will be going off to college in the fall and I really cant afford to pamper my self with too many products. I do not want to neglect my skin, but on a tight budget it seems very hard to do.

I never really had nice skin and all those years of tanning are starting to catch up. I know there is no "miracle" cream, but I thought maybe somebody could offer some suggestions. One other question, how long does it normally take to see results from the green cream, and if any, what kind of results have others had. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
I can't remember if you are making your own Vit C serum or not? If you are bot, it is a great way to save, and doesn't cost alot to make. Distilled water, glycerin and L-ascorbic acid is pretty basic but beneficial serum. What I would do is look up DIY recipes and see what you can make yourself to save the cost of having to buy products. You really can make alot on your own. Also, facial oils are relatively inexpensive and can save alot on moisturizers. I will give you a few links to take a look at:
skin care, actives, skin care product, natural skin care, serious skin care, organic skin care, skin care information BulkActives: skin actives and ingredients for DIY skin care www.gardenofwisdom.com- places for products to use to make your own
Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils
www.gardenofwisdom.com for facial oils
www.essntialdayspa for getting some great recipes. There are lots of great sites these are just a few. If you need more, let me know. I am sure others can contribute to the list.

I too was a sun worshiper, and am paying for it now. It can be a tough mountain to climb, try to be patient. Take it one day at a time. You are heading in the right direction using the green cream. Add Vit C to that and a facial oil, squalane, rosehip seed oil, jojoba, emu, etc for your moisturizer, a good sunscreen and you are doing yourself more good than you know.

Also, loosing your job and having a child go away for college, are both extremely stressful. Try to find a way to relieve some stress. Taking a long walk, riding a bike, etc. Being stressed will also add to those fine lines and wrinkles. Having a son away at college myself, I know all about those stressful situations.

I hope you find a few inexpensive products, and best of luck to you-

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A BIG THANK YOU to both of you!!!!!!!
as always great advice...a big HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGG to you!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mom
best to you,
If you don't want to spring for the LRP Sunscreen gel, just be sure to look for one that has Mexoryl or Tinosorb to stabilize it. Very important to wear SS!
Good nite!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Two good suggestions -- Green Cream & Vit C. The Vit C will benefit your skin immensely and by making your own -- even a simple version will not cost a great deal. The Green Cream -- I have not used it but there seems to be a good following of users on this site. I would suggest a product such as Hydra B 5 that delivers hyaluronic acid to your skin and moisturizes it.

Other ideas --- check out:
Anti-Wrinkle Treatments that Work: PharmacyMix Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, Anthelios Sunscreens, La Roche Posay, Hydroquinone Cream, Lakota, Thorne Research

Your description of your skin sounds very much like mine did -- don't get discouraged, your skin will react to a regular regime.

You will want to add a good sunscreen plus exfoliate at least 1-2X a week.

I'm thinking of adding the Reversa Skin Firming Gel with soy -- I already use their Corrective Night Cream (however since you have the Green Cream I'd stay with that).

Another good line of products that hydrate well is Renova. Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to try and make my own Vitamin C serum, but I am concerned that I may not get the ph right. I have never made any homemade products before (aside from food and cookies LOL) I am going to look into it and view the websites that you guys were kind enough to post. If I don't feel that I can handle that task, can anyone recommend an inexpensive decent Vitamin C serum, I'm sure the one I am currently using is not that good, although it does give my skin a nice glow (and as posted before, somehow my dark circles are fading) not sure what is causing that to happen.

But anyway, as always thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would like to try and make my own Vitamin C serum, but I am concerned that I may not get the ph right. I have never made any homemade products before (aside from food and cookies LOL) I am going to look into it and view the websites that you guys were kind enough to post. If I don't feel that I can handle that task, can anyone recommend an inexpensive decent Vitamin C serum, I'm sure the one I am currently using is not that good, although it does give my skin a nice glow (and as posted before, somehow my dark circles are fading) not sure what is causing that to happen.

But anyway, as always thank you for your suggestions.
There's lots of info about Vit C serum on this site as is there about making your own serum. Obviously the serum you are using is somewhat effective if your skin tone is evening out.

What is the name of the serum?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mari,

I am currently using 40 carrots, it does not indicate on the bottle or the website the strength. I did view some positive comments on makeupalley (after I purchased it) It says that it has retinol in it, but does not indicate the strength of that either.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, after searching the web, I finally found a list of ingredients in the 40 carrots plus c serum. Maybe some of you with more experience can tell me if it is even worth it for me to use, or look for a new product. Thank you in advance
Here it is Mari:

Water, Glycerin, Vitis Vinifera Fruit Extract (Grape), Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel), Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Methyl Gluceth 20, Betanol Age Radiance Complex: Beta-Carotene (and), Retinol (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot), Daucus Carota Sativa Juice (Carrot), Soluable Collagen, Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Tea Tree), Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium PCA, Phenoxyethanol (and), Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Fragrance, Red 33, Yellow 5

I certainly do not want to waste my time on a useless product, and more importantly do more harm than good.

Thanks for any feedback...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please be careful with Vitamin C and retinols! I would highly recommend talking to your doctor for recommendations of inexpensive options before making your own serum.

One simple, inexpensive thing you can be doing is wearing at least an SPF 30 EVERY day, and when you go outside wear a wide-brimmed hat. This is what the American Academy of Dermatology recommends. Encourage your children to wear sunscreen every day too - at least SPF 30. This will help prevent melanoma and aging for them! Eating healthy will also be beneficial. The skin is often the first sign of how someone is doing on the inside.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Please be careful with Vitamin C and retinols! I would highly recommend talking to your doctor for recommendations of inexpensive options before making your own serum.
Why would someone need to talk to a doctor about a DIY topical vitamin C serum? Why would a doctor even care?

The Vitamin C serum is just ascorbic acid powder or crystals at a commonly used concentration and distilled water - plus maybe some glycerin or oils. This is not only less expensive but probably alot safer than commerical preps that require additional ingredients that we don't know anything about in order to give them an extended shelf-life for marketing purposes.

Your suggestion sounds unreasonable and expensive (cost of a doctor's visit). Please explain further.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Fawnie having just read what you wrote if it is the silicones in the green cream smoothing out fine lines am i correct to say that this is not then gonna be a long term, what im trying to say is once you finish on the green cream do these fine lines stay gone or reduced or can they come back?

Anyhow im gonna order my bits tonight for me moisturizer so if you know of good ingrendients i can add to this for aging skin let us know and il add these too! Cant wait to start seeing some big improvements to me skin!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Ok, after searching the web, I finally found a list of ingredients in the 40 carrots plus c serum. Maybe some of you with more experience can tell me if it is even worth it for me to use, or look for a new product. I certainly do not want to waste my time on a useless product, and more importantly do more harm than good.

Thanks for any feedback...
I can see nothing harmful in the product (with my limited knowledge of chemicals -- you can check out cosmetic ingredients by googling "SKIN DEEP")

This is not a true Vit C serum but if it is fading some of your dark spots it is doing you some good.

Take an inventory of your skin -- is it dry, oily? what issues do you want to correct. On a limited budget try some of the over the counter cosmetics that are readily available. You won't break your budget with these even if they don't address your concerns (if you don't like a product you can always use it as hand cream or for your knees, elbows and feet). Buying an expensive product does not guarantee you will get the results you want.

Remember everyone's skin is different -- try to get samples of products or buy sample kits to see if they suit your skin. Have fun experimenting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for your words of wisdom....Could you or any one else possibly recommend any good over the counter products I have oily oily skin, I also realize everyones skin is different so what may work for me may not work for others and vice versa. I have experimented with some, (I posted in a previous thread) but have not really found any that seem to help with my skin.......I will def. keep on searching.

Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thank you for your words of wisdom....Could you or any one else possibly recommend any good over the counter products I have oily oily skin, I also realize everyones skin is different so what may work for me may not work for others and vice versa. I have experimented with some, (I posted in a previous thread) but have not really found any that seem to help with my skin.......I will def. keep on searching. Thank you!!!!!
I agree with the recommendations that the previous members have given to you - vitamin C, a retinol, and sunscreen. It is hard to add anything to what has been said without you giving us more to go on. Specifically, as Mari asked - what problems are you looking to address? And it is hard to recommend specific brands because availability differs in different parts of the country and world. But if you want to ask a more specific question or for feedback on specific products before you spend money on them - we would be happy to help.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thank you for your words of wisdom....Could you or any one else possibly recommend any good over the counter products I have oily oily skin, I also realize everyones skin is different so what may work for me may not work for others and vice versa. I have experimented with some, (I posted in a previous thread) but have not really found any that seem to help with my skin.......I will def. keep on searching.

Thank you!!!!!
Mom

I think it would be good to wait until you've used the GC a while before spending money on any other products. Your skin may normalize to the point that you won't need "Oily skin" products any more.

While you are getting regulated on GC, don't confuse the issue by adding more unknown products or you won't know what is causing it if you do have a reaction. Hope it helps you! It has been a Godsend for a lot of ppl.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts