Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to this forum so feel like i should introduce myself a bit!!

Iv recently turned 30 and very very dry skin with bit of an oily nose!! Having tried quite a few products over the years which do not really seem to do anything for my skin!! So at the moment Im using some clinique moisture splurge and turnaround concentrate mask, the olay microdermabrasion kit and avon firming dramatic cream!! All of these products are very nice as far as moisturizing my face but am really wanting something stronger to combact those fine lines I have!! I seem to have very fragile skin so am in desprate need to find something now before my fine lines become wrinkles! I also have rosehip, almond, and jo jo oil which I use on my face once a week!! I also try to make my own face masks up every two weeks, yoghurt, honey etc..

Firstly I would like to know what you lot would recommend for good cleaner and exfloliater for my face, clinique 3 step solution (which apparantly has lots of alcohol in so may not be best for my face,) md formulations or dermatological!!??

The anti aging products I have been looking at so far, that seem to be getting good reviews are

SkinCeuticals Retinol, DCL facial moisturizing cream, Clinical Youth Serum, Ole Henrinksen Express Truth cream

I have also looked at the Austlian website. "adorebeauty" and "kitcosmetics"

I do live in england so not too sure about ordering off australian website but the products on the sites mentioned above have been recommended to me!!

Anyway I have gone through quite a lot of pharmacy products already such as l'oreal, avon etc and none of these haven help me with mine fine lines so far, Im fed up a bit like everyone else on spending money on products that dont work!!

Any help you can give me I really would appreciate!!

Thanks for the help

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi NY!
Welcome!
Have you tried Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream? It's very good at getting the gunk off but is very kind to the skin and moisturizing. In fact the entire DrH line is excellent.
Oh I love Rosehip Seed Oil! I put it on top of my Vitamin C serum, mix it WITH the C serum, pat it on anytime I feel parched, use it on cuticles....it's wonderful! I understand it has a natural retinoid in it and is great for fine lines. How do you use it???
fawnie

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a Vitamin C cream night cream and vitamin e one too bought these from body shop but they do leave my skin very soft!! Also thinking about getting Clinique Antioxdent cream too or may be cheaper version if can get my hand on one!!

At the moment!! I use cleansing towels and moisturizing in the morning before work and then in the evening I cleanse properly and use my elizabeth arden serum I have Vit C Cream and Clinique moisture splure!!

I only use the oils I have once a week as Iv noticed depending on product my skin can break out in spots, which i have never had before!! I mix the three oils that I have together and then put my moistuizer in with them as well and put this onto my face a good hour so before bed!!

Not sure if this is correct to do or not so if you have any better suggestions?

Iv looked briefly at the Dr Hauschka stuffn did seem to get good reviews!! I will try to get some samples!!

Why do you say natural retinol? Can this be as good as the normal stuff, so to speak, I dont really much about it to be honest so any extra info you can give me would be great!!

Thankyou so much

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of my friends are in their 30's and look great using the vitamin A line of cleansers and creams for their face. it's from the line owned by Jennifer Stallone. I can't remember the exact name of the product but I'll let you know soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have dry skin, my recommendation would be to try the Oil Cleansing method for your skin -just do an internet search for info on this. Basically what you are doing is cleansing your skin with oils instead of cleansers so you don't strip away the natural oils on your skin which are protective. It's a wonderful way for people with dry skin to cleanse their skin, but don't simply slather any old oil on your face, there are different oils that do different things so make sure you do you an internet search for this information so you do it correctly. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Most of my friends are in their 30's and look great using the vitamin A line of cleansers and creams for their face. it's from the line owned by Jennifer Stallone. I can't remember the exact name of the product but I'll let you know soon.
I think the name of the product is called Serious Skin. It was originally formulated for teenage skin but have branched out to include all ages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also in my 30's and I know what you mean. I went through all pharmacy product and countless products I don't want to bore you with a list of products I use. I also found out I have senstive skin, so very hesitant to trying new products. Just last year I was given a product free by a friend for Dry to Normal skin by NU SKIN. _- Had never heard of the company, but gave it a try. My skin feels so much better, and acutally my friends are noticing the youthful glow.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replys, I am however getting very confused now about what is the best thing for me to do!!

Iv never even started freaking out about wrinkles and lines until recently!! I have never had bad skin or anything, so even though I know Im getting older and these things unfortunatly happen, I also feel like that due to the arthritis medication that I am on this has also mad my skin very fragile and thin so to speak!!

So anyway Im not sure if Il be eligable due to my medical circumstances for one but first thing was thinking of doing was getting gylonical facial peel, if anyone knows a good one I can do from home that be great, save me a bit money too!!

Firstly as far as putting correct oils into my face, I will def read up more about this!! However I am just wondering If things like Rosehip Oil etc is still ok for me to use a week on my face and If you use these products instead of your normal cleanser, exfoliate?

Also this serious skin care did seem to have good reviews that I have read!!
I could not find the actual website for it though!! Do you have the full name of it for me please, thank you!!

What I am wondering though is do these products actually get rid of fine lines and wrinkles!! Obviously I dont want something to strong on my face to start with, as I tend to come out in spots otherwise, I need vast improvement in my skin texture, as no looking very good recently!! Even though I have a good diet, drink plenty of water etc!! Im not sure If Vitamin A creams will strong enough for me!!

To min_77. Ages ago in my younger years im sure iv tried the NU products never any good for me but thanks for suggestion!! I must say though if you have sensative skin sometimes its the stupid perfume they put in products and alcohol that can make your skin react as I have found out!! What works for one person though does not always work for another!! Pleased you found something that helps you thoug!!

I do apologise if I have gone on a bit!! I do appreciate all the advice please keep it coming!! Thankyou so much!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't put any oil on your face. Essential oils can be very irritating to the skin and you could possibly break out as well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Also this serious skin care did seem to have good reviews that I have read!!
I could not find the actual website for it though!! Do you have the full name of it for me please, thank you!!
Hi, Google "serious skin care" and you will see all the products in the line. I think everyone has their favourite skin products: Dr. Hauschka's line is good and you can order his "try me kits"; Dr. Denese has a good product line and she has a number of products to address fine lines; myself I like the Cellex-C line -- the serum does work but you won't see results for 2-3 months. Or try the Vit.C recipes on this site -- will save you a lot of money. If you want to address the oily nose problem buy a package of Clean and Clear facial blotters -- you can use them to blot oil off your nose and it won't mess up your make-up.

I must admit I use several products and I do try new ones; you have to give a product at least 2-3 months to see if it is working for you -- that is unless the product says "you will see results in .... days" if you don't turf it. Unfortunately that's the way it is with cosmetics.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah Baby, EO's are wrong to put on the skin, but certain "carrier oils", like jojoba, olive, rosehip seed, etc are good! =)
Yeah, but do you use these straight? I know they are added to things to doctor them up but never used them as is. I know that tea tree oil is used straight for blemishes, though.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As as as my oils are concerened I got told to mix these in with moisturizer so just started doing that once a week but just use tiny bit of the each of the three oils I have!! I also love my coconut cream, Am I better off using the Vit C as a serum thren and not as Im doing as a night cream? Is it necessary to use a Vit A and E cream as well or do I just need my vit c cream and antioxident cream and the supplement i take such as fish oils, enough for me, or should i just alternate my creams?

Can tea tree oil not ruin your skin colouring?

Are the skin care products from somebody such as dr denise more developed towards getting rid of fine lines than say the serious skin care cream?

Will it be to high for me to start my retinol cream at O.5 to start with?

Was thinking of getting a skin care peel with 30 per cent of gylonical acid will this be alright for me to use myself at home or should I pay extra to get facial peel done professionaly?

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dont know if Il need this in my skin care routine but Will my antioxdent cream already have peptides in it or what cream does peptides come? thanks again

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Can tea tree oil not ruin your skin colouring?
Tea tree oil is used as an ingredient in alot of different products. I've never done it myself (maybe others here have), but it is my understanding that the oil itself can be dabbed directly on blemishes to promote healing. So the area to which you are applying the oil is limited - just to the blemish itself.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
NY,

I have used carrier oils, like rosehip seed and olive directly on my skin without problems. Test first to see if you are sensitive tho. You can mix or use straight.

You can use your Vit C serum alone and use other creams over it containing A,E, antioxidants, whatever. Just be sure to wait 30 min after using C for it to absorb before applying anything else or it will cancel it out and make it ineffective.

The only "serious" skin care products, IMO, are Retin-A and the other retinoids like Taz, etc, broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunblock, and vit c. Other products may make the skin look good but may not help in the long run.

What retinol cream are you starting @ 0.5%?? Depends on what your skin is like to begin with -- sensitive? I wouldn't. You could start using it 2 or 3 times a week to start with and see how it goes after 4 weeks. If you do it too high too fast you will without a doubt have problems and want to quit, so go slow!! You can always increase it as you adjust, but if you get the red peelies right away you will just have to undo a big mess.

I would get a glycolic peel done professionally to start. You could do a lot of harm with 30% glycolic at home.

Hope this is some help, and this is just my belief, others may disagree. That's what forums are for: sharing info.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah the oils have been good on my skin so far think once a week though is enough for me, not sure if i have sensative skin though or just perfume some products have in them but anyway!

Fawnie I dont quite understand what you mean though by serious skin care products are the ones that you have listed what you would recommend for what I have described as my skin type? Or what sort of products could do me more harm than good?

Think your correct about peel though need to go proffessional first would be worried about any skin damage a I think!!
yes you are being a lot of help
thankyou for all your i really do appreciate it

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ret product I have been reading by the reading is skin ceuticals, dont know if you have heard of it or any better recommenditions for me to try

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
NY, you have a wonderful interest in your skin I can tell! It's hard to recommend a skin care program without seeing your skin, and I'm not a skincare professional. Just from reading forums and trying things myself I found what works for me, but I made a lot of mistakes with it!

If you are on a lot of medications for your arthritis, maybe your doctor can recommend to you what products to stay away from. You already know that perfumed products are bad for you, so that's a good start! Definitely stick to mild products and get samples before buying if possible. Or make sure you can return any products that cause problems for you, even if you have used them.

The "serious skin care products" are Retin-A (or Taz, etc), vitamin C, and sunscreen. They can cause trouble if used too often or in too high concentrations to start with. Other skin care products can cause problems with allergies & breakouts, but just mostly they are a lot of hype and not worth the money in the long run. I'd stick to the basics like this and then if you want to get peels, fine, but the basics really take you where you need to go. If you have dry dry dry skin, you may need something like Renova, which is Retin-A in a more moisturizing form and use it very very sparingly and slowly.

Fish oils are always a good idea for skin health! And so is hyaluronic acid in oral supplement form - it can really plump up the skin and lessen the look of wrinkles!

Good on you for looking for ways to take care of yourself!

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
The ret product I have been reading by the reading is skin ceuticals, dont know if you have heard of it or any better recommenditions for me to try
Yes! SkinCeuticals has a lot of good science behind it!

One retinol product I have used is Green Cream made by AST: Green Cream - high potency retinol
I used it before I "graduated" to Retin-A and it was not as irritating and drying as some retinols. www.Dermstore has free shipping for it too. I would start with strength "3" and work up to "6" so you don't burn yourself. I liked it because I saw results right away with smoothing and brightening my skin. I used it only at night, since sunlight can deteriorate it. During the day I used vit C and sunscreen.

SkinCeuticals makes a great Vit C serum: C+E Ferulic, which is tolerated by dry skin. It would be a good one to start with, but look around and get a good price. Sometimes the "sample" vials are cheap online.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts