Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have combination skin, and have so far been using sea weed cleanser range from the body shop. my skin does look brighter but i seem to have a problem with toners. in the past i dropped them because if i got a spot it always came up as a hard painfull lumps and then whiteheads especially when the weaher is warmer where as without it they are just normal spots. I've tried this regime for a couple of months and it's the same again.
there is alchohol in the toner could this be causing it by overdring my skin?
Should I switch to a cleanser for oily skin or will this make it worse?

Help!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Why not try witch hazel, an astringent, instead?
Dr Hauschka makes some organic mild products suitable for all skin and includes witch hazel in a toner.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Why not try witch hazel, an astringent, instead?
Dr Hauschka makes some organic mild products suitable for all skin and includes witch hazel in a toner.
I use witch hazel with lavender == much more gentle on (my) skin that regular toners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alcohol is known to dry out skin. It's ok to use on the skin every once in a while to help clean and strip, but it can be drying. Witch Hazel is very good. Aloe Vera gel works well, too. It's cool, soothing, good healing properties and its leaves a clean feeling. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have combination/oily skin too and have always been using toner. Thought toning was an essential step to skincare but recently I have completely stopped using toners and I find my skin looks the same even when I use a toner or not and the best thing of all , I don't have to spend money in buying toners anymore!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think I have combination skin, and have so far been using sea weed cleanser range from the body shop. my skin does look brighter but i seem to have a problem with toners. in the past i dropped them because if i got a spot it always came up as a hard painfull lumps and then whiteheads especially when the weaher is warmer where as without it they are just normal spots. I've tried this regime for a couple of months and it's the same again.
there is alchohol in the toner could this be causing it by overdring my skin?
Should I switch to a cleanser for oily skin or will this make it worse?

Help!
You really shouldnt be using alcohol based toners, especially not on the dry areas of your face. Alcohol is a dehydrating agent.. No wonder ur skin became excessively dry. I suggest use a cleanser for oily skin and use a moisturizer to hydrate thge dry patches on your face.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello there Nicola,

Do not jump to the conclusion that any oily parts of your skin are tough. In fact, an oily skin is fragile and sensitive.

The more you try to degrease it with a strong astringent or cleanser, the oilier it often becomes.

I suspect that the alcohol in your toner is, as you are wondering, causing your skin to become overly dry.

Do not switch to a cleanser for oily skin. Try one for normal or dry skin. To tone use a soothing facial toner.

I suggest:

1. 'Simple' Cleanser
2. 'Simple' Toner. This contains camomile to soothe, witch hazel to tone and tighten pores and allantoin to soften and protect.

In addition, it has no perfume, colour or harsh chemicals and won't upset your skin. I hope this helps you. Best of luck!

Warmest regards,

Redrose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts