Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.I need some advice on doing my first TCA 12% muac peel.I need as much info as possible on preparation,doing the peel and after care (moisturizers + cleansers+ sunblock) iv done glycolic + salicylic peels before but not TCA!I'm 30 and have very fair skin(blonde blue eyes) and have ALOT of premature aging from sun damage off using sun beds & sun bathing as a teen. Im in the uk btw!I have emu oil (emu oil well) for after the peel and im going to get some aquaphor too.I'm also going to try and get some neosporin but have to order off eBay for that.sunblock I have green people SPF 25. Any help would be great thank you :) :) :)

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
So glad to hear you are preparing the best you can!! You can never educate yourself enough especially when it comes to TCA peels. The more you know ahead of time the better off the process will be for you.

Here is a great informative thread to read through
http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthread.php/12337-TCA-Instructions

Also, do understand 12% is a very low strength it may take you a couple layers. What I would do is order this strength in the sample size bottle as well as order 15% in sample size bottle. My guess is 15% will work great for you with only one layer. But do read up on both and use your own judgment on which you purchase!! Be sure to let us know how this peel turns out for you!! :five:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you gymrat.I have a question about doing an at home peel if you get cold sores.I do get cold sores so can you still do a TCA or not?

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
Thank you gymrat.I have a question about doing an at home peel if you get cold sores.I do get cold sores so can you still do a TCA or not?
I wouldn't do a TCA if you are prone to cold sores. I'm sorry :( totally your call, but if it were me I would say no.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't do a TCA if you are prone to cold sores. I'm sorry :( totally your call, but if it were me I would say no.
Is there anything I could get from the doctor do you think? Or is there an alternative Peel I could do?

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
Is there anything I could get from the doctor do you think? Or is there an alternative Peel I could do?
Do you get cold sores often?? If so you could ask your Dr for a prescription to have just in case you need it. I am not prone to them but I have a friend whos toddler gets them so she keeps a prescription on hand. Tell me what kind of results you were looking from doing the TCA?? What are you wanting to improve?? Maybe another peel will work for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply!I would like my skin smoother,pores smaller and the lines under my eyes reduced.iv done glycolic 50% and iv done salicylic 20% but the fine lines still remain

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
Sorry for the late reply!I would like my skin smoother,pores smaller and the lines under my eyes reduced.iv done glycolic 50% and iv done salicylic 20% but the fine lines still remain
Have you considered Retin A? Or Vit C serum? I am not sure what other products you are using, but both are something to consider.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to try retain A and a vit c serum. What products would you recommend.I'm in the uk btw!

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
I would like to try retain A and a vit c serum. What products would you recommend.I'm in the uk btw!
Just bumping this for info :) :)
I'm sorry I totally missed this..........thank you for bumping it, shame on me :( Ok for Vit C serum I would encourage you to make your own as you will save $ in the long run. If you don't want to make your own I can give you a few places to look. As for Retin A, this would need to be prescribed by a Dr or you can order it through AllDayChemist http://www.alldaychemist.com/ There are a few members who are from UK and do group orders for this as well, so do check here for that. By doing a group order you save on the shipping cost. http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/46196/adc-london-orders Anymore questions just ask!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank u gymerat! Thats ok :) I'm late on my replies because my Nana has been in hospital the last few months so i haven't had much time lately1f61e I'd love to make my own vit c serum though!iv been looking through lots of threads but been getting a little overwhelmed with it. if there's a simple recipe a newbie could make from the uk I'd be extremely greatful1f4961f496

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi @gymrat i'm glad that I'm still doing research on TCA's as I get cold sores, not often but I do get them usually from acidic foods like pasta sauce or OJ, but not every time. Is there any reason besides the fact that I might get one to not do a TCA? I can live with one for a few days if it'll help improve my skin. I have done a Jessner peel and a GA/LA combo peel with no outbreak.

TIA

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
Hi @gymrat i'm glad that I'm still doing research on TCA's as I get cold sores, not often but I do get them usually from acidic foods like pasta sauce or OJ, but not every time. Is there any reason besides the fact that I might get one to not do a TCA? I can live with one for a few days if it'll help improve my skin. I have done a Jessner peel and a GA/LA combo peel with no outbreak.

TIA
Well...... they say if you are prone to cold sores you should stay away from peels in general. I have never had one (cold sore) but.......I have friends/relatives who get them occasionally. Have you ever tried taking Lysine in supplement form?? If not, something to consider. Those I know who take this consistently have had great success and has kept their outbreaks at bay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well...... they say if you are prone to cold sores you should stay away from peels in general. I have never had one (cold sore) but.......I have friends/relatives who get them occasionally. Have you ever tried taking Lysine in supplement form?? If not, something to consider. Those I know who take this consistently have had great success and has kept their outbreaks at bay.
I have never heard of Lysine, thank you I will look into it. How odd though, now I'm interested in why this occurs and why they tell you to stay away from it, is it because it will cause an outbreak or something worse. I'll have to do some research on this.

As always thanks for your feedback!

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
I have never heard of Lysine, thank you I will look into it. How odd though, now I'm interested in why this occurs and why they tell you to stay away from it, is it because it will cause an outbreak or something worse. I'll have to do some research on this.

As always thanks for your feedback!
There is medication (Valtrex, is one) you can get if you are worried. But if you have done Jessner and GA/LA and not had an issue, I would not be overly concerned. Now if you were looking into fillers, dermabrasion, etc, then yes, I would talk to your Dr about getting medication, depending on how severe/often you get them.

Why does it happen? Because with a peel, you stimulate the skin, with this, it can reactivate the virus that resides in the sensory nerves. Not saying it activates a new infection, just wakes up the one thats been there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@MrsBurney2015 did you try the TCA peel?
@gymrat I'm going to try the 12% TCA and see how I go with it.what instructions would you advise?how would you recommend I use it eg timings,for how many weeks

I was going to do a test patch then maybe do my forehead to try it out for the first proper go.for after care I was going to use vit e oil + emu oil,maybe Vaseline if its major dry.what do you think?if I do well on the 12% I might go higher.

·
Administrator
33,530 Posts
@gymrat I'm going to try the 12% TCA and see how I go with it.what instructions would you advise?how would you recommend I use it eg timings,for how many weeks

I was going to do a test patch then maybe do my forehead to try it out for the first proper go.for after care I was going to use vit e oil + emu oil,maybe Vaseline if its major dry.what do you think?if I do well on the 12% I might go higher.
You should be extremely dry from using 12%. And you don't want to keep your skin overly moisturized, as you will be defeating the purpose of doing a peel.

I would read the thread I provided second post of this thread, it will walk you through the process. Use neosporin immediately after the peel until all areas are no longer pink. You may not have any pink areas.

Do a patch test on the lower part of your jawline.

And if this is a MUAC you should have received detail instructions with it, explaining times, layer, etc. Read through that instruction card as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
No @annaamia I haven't. I had an 'incident' with another peel that I had bought before the TCA. Everything turned out fine in the end but just taking a break from the scare. I think after the holidays I am going to go for it as I really want to try the TCA, 15% because it sounds like it's just what I need.

Please let me know how your peel goes for you.

@gymrat just to confirm unlike other peels were you want to keep your skin moisterized with the TCA you just want to use Neosporin until the pink is gone. What then after? Back to normal skin routin?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts