Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to this site but been reading avidly for the last few weeks. I have been making my vit c serum only the basic one and getting on great with that. My problem is I have started using Retin A 0.5% and the first couple of days were fine but now my skin is blotchy, peeling and extemely sore. Should I continue or just put on around the eye area (my biggest problem). Didn't put any on last night and skin still feels and looks bad.
Thanks in anticipation for help

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Sew and welcome
I'm sorry that's happening to you and we can help you with that.

The Retin-A and Vit C serum work together to exfoliate and remodel the skin. They increase the turnover of the cells of the skin so that the new cells are more healthy.

When i burn myself with products or overexfoliation I use a honey mask and NCNProSkinCare Bio-Active Night cream. Bio-Active Night Repair Cream is an active, highest quality, luxurious, anti-aging skin revitalizing and regenerative treatment cream. Bio-Active Night Repair Cream*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look

EMU oil is also good for healing the skin.

You must wait til your skin calms down until you use Retin-A or C serum again. Then use them every other night til you get used to it. Or you can buffer the Retin-A to make it more tolerable. That's what I do and still get excellent results.

To buffer the Retin-A, you mix a pea-sized amount of Retin-A and any mild emollient cream, like Eucerin, that doesn't have a lot of additives. This essentially dilutes it to a milder strength. Then you increase the ratio of Retin-A to Cream as you become tolerant of it without peeling. Eventually you will tolerate the Retin-A without buffering. This makes it possible for you to buy just one strength of Retin-A and customize it instead of buying different strengths.

Apply the mixture to all 8 fingers equally and dot the mixture all over your face, and neck and chest if you want to. Then pat until it is evenly applied.
Apply what is left over to the back of your hands too if they have sun damage.

Hope this might help you a little and believe me I know what you're going thru! Wear a high UVA/UVB sunscreen while you are healing and while you are on Retin-A/C!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fawnie so much for your help, wish had read it ten mins ago, have just applied vit c serum and it stung like hell!! will lay off for a few days till skin calms down and then try your recommendations.

Thanks agai

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well, it should be OK, Sew.

What it does is a "controlled peel" so you are that much further along! If you do start to peel, don't pick - you don't want to scar.

I would keep putting the honey on and spritzing with mineral water to keep it moist. You could do some mild soaks with warm mineral water on cotton pads and try rolling the shreds off if they bother you. In a couple weeks you should be fine. Poor lamb, it happens.

Wearing a good sunblock will keep the areas from becoming hyperpigmented.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
8 Posts
E Burnham's night cream works best and moisturizing skin that is inflamed. They also carry Vit C serum and retinol products that don't irritate the skin as much. Check their website for product list

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sooz just a suggestion for you but you may want to ease off the vit c whilst your skin is getting used to the retinol, i know i have very dry skin and when i first started using the Green cream this started peeling badly and now after a few months im able to use both the vit c in the morning and the Green cream and my face is dealing with both products nicely now!

Fawnie can i ask though when you do a honey mask how you are able to stop the honey going every where? I hate honey masks mainly cause i find them very sticky!

Can i just change the subject and ask quickly i noticed some patches where my skin has peeled off on my face and is just taking ages to heal, so im just wanted to check that before buying a micro fibre cloth there is not a specific ene that i should look for! At the moment though im just moisutizer the face a lot, i may try using the vit c serum every other day, im thinking may be this is too much for me to use every day! Um

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Retin A can be a near miracle product. You might just have skin too sensitive for it. I agree with those who suggest letting it calm down & heal before trying anything else. Once your skin has healed, you might try blending a little retin A into some olive il before applying it. Also, with Retin A it is imperative you wait 20 mins after washing & drying your face to apply it. That is not a step to skip. Good luck & I hope you heal rapidly!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Also, with Retin A it is imperative you wait 20 mins after washing & drying your face to apply it. That is not a step to skip.
Ondine - why is this waiting period necessary? I started doing it after reading about it somewhere (on this site probably), but never did before and personally don't notice any difference. No visible difference, anyway. Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ondine - why is this waiting period necessary? I started doing it after reading about it somewhere (on this site probably), but never did before and personally don't notice any difference. No visible difference, anyway. Just curious. Thanks.
I use my retin-a right after I cleanse my face. No waiting. Unless I'm doing facial exercises, which I do first then I apply it. It is usually recommended to wait the 20-30 minutes, The only reason I can think of that comes to mind is to lessen the potential irritation. Of course if you've been using it awhile, this should not be much of a problem. YMMV
I've read that using it immediately after cleansing will help it to penetrate better.
Probably not much difference ultimately in the wait period unless your having irritation issues.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I'm not Ondine, but I can add some info from the Acne.About.com site:

"Retin-A is used once per day, or once every other day, usually at bedtime. The skin should first be washed with a mild cleanser. Twenty or 30 minutes after cleansing, Retin-A is applied to affected areas. This wait time is important to ensure completely dry skin. Applying Retin-A while skin is even the slightest bit damp invites irritation."

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Sew

I hope by now your skin is calming down!

Here is a link to a patented method called "Short Contact Treatment" of photoageing with topical retinoids. You have to scroll down past the ads to get to the meat of the article, but in a nutshell it says to apply the retinoid for a short term only, 30 sec to 3 minutes twice a day for 3 days a week. Rinse well. This supposedly lessens the irritation but still gives full benefits.

Short contact treatment of photoaging with topical retinoids - Patent 6083963

The method is patented, so the patent info is in the link as well.

Hope this helps and let us know how you are getting along.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thank you all for your help and sympathy! My skin has settled down and dare I say looks glowing.

I put vit c on for the first time this morn with no probs, but think will wait a little longer before appying retin. When I do start using again afer cleansing and waiting the require 20 mins, is that it - no eye cream or moisturiser?

It's great to be gaining all this expert advice and I'm grateful

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well thank you all for your help and sympathy! My skin has settled down and dare I say looks glowing.

I put vit c on for the first time this morn with no probs, but think will wait a little longer before appying retin. When I do start using again afer cleansing and waiting the require 20 mins, is that it - no eye cream or moisturiser?

It's great to be gaining all this expert advice and I'm grateful
That's great Sew! You peeled!

Yes I would wait a little while before starting RA again. At least until the redness has subsided. And I would definitely buffer. Wait for about 15 min after the RA to use eye cream, if you want to use it - it isn't necessary though. If you buffer, you shouldn't need a separate moisturizer.

Hope this helps!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
74 Posts
for Fawnie: I have obtained my Retin-A this week (on script from Dr). Just wondered, is it ok to start using it before I have the ingredients to make my Vit C serum or do the two have to go together? Also, I wondered if our Retin-A in Australia would be different to o/s? - says it contains butylated hydroxytoulene 1 mg/g and tretinoin 500 micrograms/g. Also contains PEG-40 stearate, stearyl alcohol, stearic acid, isopropyl myristate, sorbic acid, xanthan gum and water. It is made in Australia. Says it expires in May 2010. The Dr did mention liver issues 'disturbance in the level of enzymes in the liver' so if I have a blood test I need to say I am using Retin-A. The chemist was keen to ensure I knew what I was doing! She mentioned something about not using products with 'such and such' in, but cannot remember what that was now!
And I realise it can create some pimples and skin peeling and irritation. If it starts out too severe I will mix the cream with a drop of olive oil? Thanks a million.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
for Fawnie: I have obtained my Retin-A this week (on script from Dr). Just wondered, is it ok to start using it before I have the ingredients to make my Vit C serum or do the two have to go together? Also, I wondered if our Retin-A in Australia would be different to o/s? - says it contains butylated hydroxytoulene 1 mg/g and tretinoin 500 micrograms/g. Also contains PEG-40 stearate, stearyl alcohol, stearic acid, isopropyl myristate, sorbic acid, xanthan gum and water. It is made in Australia. Says it expires in May 2010. The Dr did mention liver issues 'disturbance in the level of enzymes in the liver' so if I have a blood test I need to say I am using Retin-A. The chemist was keen to ensure I knew what I was doing! She mentioned something about not using products with 'such and such' in, but cannot remember what that was now!
And I realise it can create some pimples and skin peeling and irritation. If it starts out too severe I will mix the cream with a drop of olive oil? Thanks a million.
You had me wondering, so I got my Retin A to compare. Mine says Tretinoin .1%. Who is the maker of yours? Mine is OrthoNeutrogena. I am in the states. This is a great question. I wonder if yours is different, being you are in Australia??

And you can start your Retin A before you start your Vit C. I use both, but you can use one before the other. When you get your Vit C, you will just want to apply your Vit C in the AM and your Retina A in the PM.

Fawnie can help you if you have other questions, she is the expert on these kinds of things. Ask her about honey.......just kidding. Really though, she is the smart one.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
This is just another way of saying 0.05% - which is commercially available in the US/Canada at least.

500mcg/1g = 0.5mg/1g = 50mg/100g = 0.05g/100g = 0.05%

Is this the question that is being asked?
I have no clue, but it had me wondering so I got mine to look. I have both .1% and .04%. Good question

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
You must have the micro-gel? The cream (which is what I have) comes in 0.025%, 0.05%, and 0.1%.
Yes, both are micro-gels. I have Differin too, which is .1% adapalene which is a cream. That is more an acne product, and my boys use that. Well, my one at home does. My oldest took Accutane, back in high school. If he get a pimple here or there he will use the Differin. Or what ever I mail actually-

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Oh and by the way........finished the whole container of licorice buttons-
all by myself!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts