Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen my doctor about this and she just fobbed me off with "we all get itches from time to time". I don't have alot of faith with my GPs (any of them) as they seem to always fob me off (including when I asked at a BMI of 13 to be referred to hopsital for help, but thats another story...)

I have a patch which is about an inch wide circle just up from my elbow towards my wrist- not actually on my elbow, though it is round circle shaped and in the elbow area- basicly, its not being lent on!

It started of as a red itch, few spots turned up, I just assumed it was a new bout of eczema which I normally get on my wrists (where cheap jewellery brings it out) and the backs of my knees, so I am aware of what Eczema looks like.

But then it did this weird thing- as I applied creams, it became almost hard and shiny! It did not go away, it spread- it had been a few spots, it then became a round hairless patch which still itched like mad, but its like all the elasticity in my skin had just vanished and in its place a circle pink thing!

Its sort of like as if I had painted a filled in circle with clear nail varnish- odd!

Its not going away- its been about 3 months now. I have tried everything I can think, itch creams, calomine, savlon, germaline, antibac, eucerin and an acid based itch relief cream. Nothing has helped. Sometimes the itch reduces but it never goes. Its worse when I am out in sunlight.

I have no idea what it is or how to treat it! I know no one here can diagnose what this is, but being that my doctor couldn't give two hoots, and I am fast running out of cash to pay for experiments to relieve the itch and repair my skin, I am stuck!

If anyone can help, I would be really grateful! Thanks in advance and thanks for reading.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hmmm, that's odd...I'd go back to the flippin GP and say that you need to see a dermatologist, that is the only thing I can think of - or can you change your GP?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
maybe even ask a pharmasist, they do see it all, maybe he can tell you what it is, and what can bedone. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im with gailn on this one, sounds like ringworm I've had it 3 times and always on my arms
. Go to the store and get some athletes foot treatment, I cant remember the name of what I have used but ill post it when I get home! Keep the area dry, try not to moisturize it much until the infection is gone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just came into my head! Lamisil is what I used, worked pretty well but I havent tried any others. They should carry it at any drugstore, got mine @ Safeway

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to get back to everyone on this- I think it could be an allergy- to the gym!!- No really- they use a certain cleaner in the gym, added to the generally scummy machines (the cleaner doesn't really clean, it just "disinfects") and hey-presto- itchy rash!

What got me thinking was that it flared up alot more after my gym shower days. I then thought it was what I was using in the shower but that changes monthly so then thought about the gym and noticed that only about 10% of users actually "clean" the machines after use- meaning I come along and lean ontop of dry sweat!! Ewwww!

I've stopped leaning on the machines and the problem seems to be getting better- although its not gone. Its lost its hard shiny skin feel and instead I have just the itch left. It seems it does feel worse now when I am working out or late at night. I think I work out so hard (probably too hard) that I override any itches with focusing on my workout, but when I do sit back and think, I really do itch quite alot when I am there.
They have just had a gym revamp- new clean machines and guess what- its not nearly as bad as it was! No blood now! (it was that itchy!)

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. I think my GPs are pretty hopeless to begin with, I doubt going back will help- been there before, have the (many) t-shirts. (Long story there)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts