Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my name is reyaz. I've been of and on skin lightening for the last 2-3 years. When I was younger i was really really really light. But as I got older, I got darker. I live in the Caribbean so going out and to beaches didn't really help either. More or less I would like to get back to my original light brown color or almost there.I just have a few questions on which I rely on your experience

1) How much HQ would I need to have access to, currently I am able to obtain 4-8%.

2) When mixing my recipe, can I mix in HQ with other lightening products? I used to use Fair and Handsome from Enami. Would that be ok?

3) While lightening, how do I protect myself from the sun, like what products should I use.

4) Is the saying about when you lighten skin, it gets darker even more quickly upon sun exposure? I am really scared about the last one.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and answer my questions! How to start soon!

BTW: my current skin tone is the same as my avatar.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
reyaz, welcome to the forum. To get back to your original color - HQ 4% and Retin-A 0.1% should get you there within a couple of months. Use an spf 30 or more SUNBLOCK during the day to protect the skin from getting darker. DO NOT USE hydroquinone and retin-A if you are going to go out in the sun. And I would also like to where you get HQ higher than 4%, please post the link.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! You said dont use the HQ or retin-a if im going out into the sun. So suppose I am, how long before I apply it would I be able to go out into the sun. By in the sun, i mean just outside the house. As for the HQ i get it as a prescription in a local pharmacy. I'm not sure how you would otherwise obtain it. Thanks for your reply by the way SUPER helpful.

P.S> Can I use a moisturiser with SPF as Sunblock or do I HAVE to buy sunblock with a high SPF and use it regularly?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
No you cant go out in the sun with HQ or Retin A even if you have sunblock on because those two are very unstable when exposed to the strong bouts of the sun. Yes buy a sunblock with a high SPF like the neutrogena ones with 50 to 60, you can use one with moisturizer but make sure its at least 30 spf or more, most moisturizers in the drugstore have spf 15. Use the sunblock regularly. You get the HQ with a prescription? What did you tell your doctor to get it? you dont seem to have any hyperpigmentation or marks for him to write it up for you. Use the HQ/RA in the evening and high spf sunblock during the day. Also get a wide brin sun hat and wear it whenever you go out, it further protects your skin from darkening.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well a few months ago I had an allergic reaction to something I ate which left very dark blotches behind on my arms and legs. My dermatologist prescribed something (cant remember the name exactly) that had 6% HQ. After using it on the spots, they vanished completely. There are a few spots left so i can just tell my doctor I need more for them. Thats how I got it. Just curious though, can I obtain 4% over the counter? I am planning to use it in conjunction with some Dove Mouisturiser products. Thanks for you help thus far! You have been very en"lightening" lol.

PS: When applying the HQ how much exactly do I put? Just enough to coat or more of a thicker layer?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You can order the HQ 4% from alldaychemist.com or [email protected] - this one you just send them an email, HQ and Retin-A costs 15 dollars a tube here but on alldaychemist.com, which is located in India, HQ and Retin-A costs about 3 bucks a tube or less but the shipping is 24 dollars so buy a couple or bulk at a time. You are supposed to apply enough HQ to cover the face thinly or moderately but dont think putting too much HQ cream on speeds the lightening, it doesnt. I dont think you should use the dove products with the HQ cream, use hte HQ cream alone or with Retin-A because using HQ with dove or other products dilutes it down from the 4% to less.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I like using the Neutrogena spf 70 or 85. You have to apply it 15-30 minutes before you go out, and try not to stay in the sun for too long.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an SPF of 35 with UVA and UVB protection from Dove. I really like it as it isnt oily and goes on dry and clear. Can I use this or is the SPF rating too low? Thanks!

PS: I was wondering, any products that contain either HQ or Retin A would be suitable for skin lightening or only the products listed at ADC?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I just went through 24 pages of Dove products! I never knew they made so many different things-wow!!

But only found SPF 15 to be the highest. They also have a Pro Age SPF 15.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have an SPF of 35 with UVA and UVB protection from Dove. I really like it as it isnt oily and goes on dry and clear. Can I use this or is the SPF rating too low? Thanks!

PS: I was wondering, any products that contain either HQ or Retin A would be suitable for skin lightening or only the products listed at ADC?
HQ does have lightening properties but not at very weak percentages.
Retin A is used as an exfoliant so if it does lighten your skin its not in the same way that HQ does. Stick with the recommendations at ADC.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hello reyaz,and a big WELCOME.
I think you have a problem in that it must be neigh impossible to avoid the sun where you live,cause obviously the sun contributes greatly to the colour of ones skin.

i have been using the 'Fairness ' products for quite a long time ,and overall i think its good products.

good wishes from England.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found the SPF 35 in a package at my local Pharamacy about a year ago and haven't used it since. I've been using dove products for 2 years and have never gone back. Dove works amazingly on my skin, had it not been for Dove Exfoliants and Mousturisers, my acne would of never cleared up - ever!
@secrets, yeah get it the Caribbean is hot year round and it's not possible to completely avoid the sun, but I guess using the appropriate sunscreen and trying to stay out of the sun unless absolutely necessary would be ok.

gymrat & lightennlift the name of the sunblock is Dove UV EXPERT With Mexoryl SX + Mexoryl XL "Extra Large Double Protection". Since I can't find it anywhere anymore, I guess they don't make it anymore? Oh well, when this is finished I'll have to find a new sunblock :p

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK guys. I've been out all morning scouring local drugstores for HQ & Retin-A. After hours of searching I found a ready supply of over-the-counter HQ 4% for about 5 US. Thats great because with shipping that would of cost 26.32 US! It's a 20g tube called TRINBRITE. It's made right here in my country so thats even better! Has vit E oil and Tretinoin and other good stuff
If anyone wants me to buy some for them just give me a shoutout! Cause for me when shipping from locations outside of US/Can and UK about 80% of the time I never get them. And shipping to US and UK from the Caribbean will definitely be cheaper. Anyways thats the good news. The bad news is that I haven't found any Retin-A like AT ALL. I don't even know what to look from. Looked at thousands of Astringent bottles, face washes, acne cleanses and exfoliants and no damn Retin-A. Did find TONS of 20% Benyzol Acid and 2-5% Salisytic Acid though. Are there any Retin-A substitutes or am I looking for the wrong thing?

Thanks guys, I'll be starting the process this evening using a fade soap to cleanse then follow up with the HQ 4%. And continue that until I get Retin-A. Should I start now or wait for the Retin-A, I mean I don't want to throw away cash if I'm not going to get good results without the Retin-A. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
reyaz, welcome to the forum. To get back to your original color - HQ 4% and Retin-A 0.1% should get you there within a couple of months. Use an spf 30 or more SUNBLOCK during the day to protect the skin from getting darker. DO NOT USE hydroquinone and retin-A if you are going to go out in the sun. And I would also like to where you get HQ higher than 4%, please post the link.

Uh oh.. i didnt know you coulnt use HQ/ Retin A outside
i dont know where i missed that point
I thought if i put a spf lotion over it than it was okay...i just started my regimine so i want to make sure i do everything right...please help .. thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i just realised that Retin-A is Tretinoin! I feel dumb :p Ok so I guess i found everthing !! Thanks for all your help everybody! This has been a learning experience, up yesterday I thought that skin lightening was something that isn't possible and that I can't remove those years of sun darkening. Looking forward to returning to my original light brown colour

Btw Tretinoin is also called: Tretinoin (Retin-A, Atralin, Renova, Avita, Altinac). Just for anyone looking for these products.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
gymrat & lightennlift the name of the sunblock is Dove UV EXPERT With Mexoryl SX + Mexoryl XL "Extra Large Double Protection". Since I can't find it anywhere anymore, I guess they don't make it anymore? Oh well, when this is finished I'll have to find a new sunblock :p
Too bad it is discontinued. Sounds like you have a nice sunscreen!! Probably a great one for your face. It always works like that, they make a product that works great then discontinue it!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts