Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not looking for anything in particular, just a really good general facial cleansing product. Not a face scrub but a cleanser.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The Body Shop's Tea Tree Oil Foaming Cleanser is good for this type of skin and at around $12 doesn't break the bank either. A nice bonus is that it leaves the skin feeling almost mint fresh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i have pretty spotty skin, it gets worse in the winter cuz it gets all dry. It is oily otherwise though so all in all pretty bad skin naturally. I moisturize to sort that out after ive gone through the cleansing routine.

What i want to avoid getting is a cleanser specifically for spots when i think getting decent cleanser that would be good for my skin alround would be better ya know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
If you're sometimes oily, sometimes dry, I'd be trying a creme cleanser. This way, when you're dry you can use it as a wipe-off (extra moisturising), and when you're oily you can wash it off. I've found that foaming cleansers tend to make dry skin too dry, which can cause the oil glands to over-produce sebum to counteract it, making your skin extra oily! cue loads of breakouts!). Would love to know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't agree. Just because a cleanser is foaming, doesn't mean that it will automatically dry your skin out. It really depends on what's in the product rather than the method of delivery doesn't it?

Moreover, I don't think leaving a cleanser on your face for prolonged periods of time is a good idea, and that's what you're doing when you "wipe it off." If anything that will make you break out. We have moisturizers that were made for the purpose of moisturizing so we don't need to use cleansers for such a purpose.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I really found that Neutrogena's Acne Stress Control cream cleanser (not scrub) worked wonders when my skin was going through a healing period this past August. It has 2% salicylic Acid (I'm all about that!) so I WOULD leave it on my skin for about a minute and a half.
Everyone's skin is different but I have found what Gardengirl said about foaming cleansers to be true for me if I wasn't using other products that helped balance the moisture level of my skin.
Right now, I am alternating the cream cleanser (at night) with Neutrogena's 2% Salicylic Acid pink grapefruit foaming cleanser (morning). I am using a FANTASTIC serum and moisturizer that I know should take most of the credit but I'm happy with my routine. And Neutrogena only runs about $7
and it is easy to get.
If the tea tree oil foaming wash that Freddy recommended is anything like Desert Essence's, then I think trying it is def worth it. Tea Tree oil has amazing healing and anti-bacterial agents. It is truly magical.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeez, thanks everybody!!! this forums awesome for quick replies.
I think im gonna try that tea tree foaming cleanser. Ive had that recommended before and im into all that natural stuff too.

Also, i always make sure i moisturize with a seperate product after using my face scrub and cleanser so i guess thats no big deal for me personally.

Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a really big fan of the Neutrogena foaming facial cleanser ($12 in a blue pump bottle) and I absolutely LOVE it. I don't use the supporting toner/moisturizer but found that it really leaves my face feeling refreshed. I have combination skin; oily forehead/nose and dry cheeks and this cleanser doesn't dry my skin at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me, Neutrogena is too aggressive. It is like liquid sandpaper on my skin. My whole face turns red like an apple...an unhappy apple.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think it depends on what Neutrogena product you use. Some of them don't have any of those little bubbles that exfoliate. I'm pretty sure the foaming cleanser doesn't have any. Myself, I don't use ANY Neutrogena products because I'm allergic to their products.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No. I never really got into finding out what it was, all I know is to stay the hell away from them since I know for sure I'll get that weird reaction from them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok it's true that I haven't been in skin care very long but as I'm reading some of you guys post I'm going back to the school days. For starters, I thought that you should stick to the same product line when using cleaners, toners, and moisturizers. What is your take on that? How do you know you have a reaction to a certain product if your mixing everything?

·
Registered
576 Posts
good point. I think the trick is to introduce one new product at a time. Of course that won't tell you if it is a specific chemical reaction to ingredients between two or more products.
As far as sticking to the same routine...some products simply stop working for me after a while ... especially hair products so I can't stick with one routine forever! Product commitment issues

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok it's true that I haven't been in skin care very long but as I'm reading some of you guys post I'm going back to the school days. For starters, I thought that you should stick to the same product line when using cleaners, toners, and moisturizers. What is your take on that? How do you know you have a reaction to a certain product if your mixing everything?
I think that makes some sense. Unfortunately for me, the company that makes my moisturizing/light wrinkle serum does not make any facial wash products.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts