Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
Let me give you a little background. Since I was a small child, I've traveled many places, including various parts of africa, uk, and many hot places in the US.
My face and neck is the color of Lanisha Cole (the dark-skinned girl in Pharrell's "Frontin" video) but the rest of my body is at least 3 shades lighter. I don't know if it was because I've never used sunscreen/sunblock until recently (because i was taught that black people didn't need sunscreen), but i saw a picture of me at 6 yrs old with the most even and uniform color from head to toe, and I would love to get close to that picture if possible.
I don't want to drastically change my complexion, I wouldn't ask for your help if the rest of my body got as dark as my face and neck did- because whether lighter or darker, the only thing I long for is even skin all over. I've tried tanning the rest of my body, but for some reason, it doesn't last long and I quickly go back to my natural color, whereas on my face/neck, the tan seems permanent.
So I just want to lighten my face/neck 2-3 shades lighter- no lighter than that- to be as close to even as possible w/the rest of my body (so I can wear low-cut tops without feeling self-conscious because of the drastic contrast between my face/neck and my chest).
Please give me good suggestions, so I can lighten steadily w/o looking a hot mess with a bleached look on my face. What products should I use? Where do i get them? How do i mix these products?? Tools? I am so clueless. I also want to know how can I maintain this new even skin once I've achieved it? Because i tan very easily. Also any warnings would be helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, if this helps, my nose and the area around my eyebrows is lighter than the rest of my face. i feel like the rest of my face- like my forehead, the area around my eyes, etc... would be a bit resistant.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Welcome to the group, prtybrwn!

That was a great bkgd sketch you posted. Lightening in your situation should be a piece of cake! Usually, the more resistant areas are those where the skin is thicker.

Many black/moxed race people didn't wear sunscreen because of the myth that we didn't need it (& now some of us are perma-fried!
)

First: run out & get a good sunscreen. There are many good ones available at reasonable prices from regular pharmacies. I am using the Neutrogena spray mist SPF 60 one & it doesn't turn me BLUE like him--->

second: Using one of the sources I'll pm you (because we KNOW they're legit & sell authentic product) to buy some

- Hydroquinone 4% safe reliable lightening agent
- Tretinoin (generic name for Retin A) It comes in several strengths from the mildest at 0.025% to medium at 0.05% to max strength at 0.1%

RETIN A (RA) is strong stuff. You do not want to begin at the highest strength & severely irritate your skin. Begin at 0.025%. & over time, work your way up as tolerance increases.

What to do: The 'alternating method' is very effective & easy to do.

Day 1 morning: wash & pat skin dry. Apply thin coat of HQ4%. Wait about 10 mins, apply sunscree.

Day 1 night: as above BUT no sunscreen.

Day 2 morning: wash, pat dry, apply sunscreen.

Day 2 evening: wash, pat dry WAIT 20 MINS then apply your RA as follows: a pea sied amt will do your whole face. I dot it onto my fingertips & apply it like that & genrly smooth it in.

That's all there is to it! Alternate between these steps. RA is a potent exfoliant. It also helps boost the effect & absorption of the HQ. It has anti-aging properties & thickens skin by boosting collagen production.

- Expect some flaking & exfoliating from the RA. This is normal. If you get irritation like hypersensitive skin, a rash, lots of redness, RA is possibly not for you. Some people do not tolerate it. If this happens, just repeat day 1 over & over. There are other exfoliant alternatives we can dig up.

RESULTS should become definitely apparent in one montht (the time a new skin cycle takes). Dark skin must exfoliate away over time; it does NOT bleach. The new skin that develops will be affected by the creams & produce less melanin with each cycle.

I hope this helps you!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
sounds like you have some sundamage, you can undo everything with Retin-A, even if you dont use the hydroquinone 4%, you should return to your original even color with just the Retin-A alone in your case.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You may be right, LightenNLift...but in case her skin doesn't tolerate the RA (look what happened to live1) the HQ will add an option.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Thats true Retin-A takes a while to get used to since its so potent and it has a lot of side effects like they state on the third week and from then on you get the occassional breakout but its well worth sticking through it to adjust and then you'll start appreciating it later on say 8 months to a year down the road when your skin gets comfortable.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I personally love RA. I didn't know any better back in Jan so I began right away with the 0.1% & luckily I took to it immediately. Just the regular peeling but nothing disturbing. I got lucky! REALLY lucky. that could've gone all kinds of wrong!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much ladies, I really appreciate your help! I've been so skeptical about this because 3 years ago, I tried to use a product from fair & white (exclusive whitenizer gel), and that worked quickly but the thing is it started to lighten very unevenly in very light splotches on my face. Since that happened, I just gave up on trying to even my skin with lighteners, and I've been afraid to try anything since then.
Ondine, thanks for your regimen. Please pm me your sources when you get the chance. Also, once I get my desired complexion, do I have to do anything special for maintenance?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You'll have to switch to a maintenance regimen. You will use the HQ4% only 2x/day on 2 to 3 days per week. Perhaps even less. Only you will be able to determine how much usage maintains your colour as it is different for each person. Continuing with the RA is a great idea if your skin likes it. I might as well post the sources here--->

for HQ4% & Tretinoin (RA) in ALL strengths: alldaychemistdotcom
They are inexpensive & reliable. Many of us use them here. Shipping is high, but this is offset easily by buying many tubes of cream at once as the cost remains the same for shipping. They are in India but ship from the USA to all over the world.

for HQ4% & RA 0.1% (strongest so don't use it right away) superskinstoreatgmaildotcom

they are in the USA & they are 100% reliable. Their product is identical to ADC's. You email them, tell them what you want & they prepare you a paypal or Googlepay invoice.

Please stick around & contribute to the threads & begin your own too. Share info re your progress as this is helpful to many on the same road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again ondine! I will definitely be here for a while to share my progress. You've been so helpful.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Ondine,

Well I checked out this thread like I said I would. You know I am so tempted to start your regimen right now. Too bad I just ordered two more bottles of Meladerm. Oh well. By the way, we are so lucky to have you on here. You have such a wealth of knowledge. It's just fantastic!!

The only thing stopping me, besides being scared of undoing all the good work my Meladerm has done is the thought of getting red and peeling. I like to look my best for work, etc, and the thought of looking red and peeling and making my face look even darker, is such a horrible thought. Is there any way of preventing this?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thank you so much! Actually, a lot of what I know, I learned from others here. We've really got a great bunch & lately, many really cool new people are popping up & adding to the discourse. As for the RA & peeling, using the weakest formulation 2x/week at first & applying a little natural oil (like sweet almond or olive etc) to the dry spots will help you control this effect. You'll be able to closely observe the way your unique skin reacts to the product & adjust accordingly. A veteran here, Periwinkle posted an incredibly useful link to an article re RA & introducing your skin to it & 'buffering' it to lessen adverse reactions. If I find it, I'll send you a link to it. You could also send him a message. He probably can tell you right away where it is.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks again Ondine. That sounds like good advice. I'll see if I can find Periwinkle's advice myself first and if I can't find it I'll ask him. It's so weird with my skin, some days I feel like I've made a lot of progress and then it looks almost as bad as ever. Maybe it's all in my head

·
Registered
47 Posts
If iyou order Hq 4% from SSS or ADC, its in a tube and you dont have to mix it. its already mixed...you just have to later it on LOL
I dont think it turns brown if you use it before the expiration date.
Usually people who are compounding stuff mix Hq from higher % to lower in order to use it safely

1 - 16 of 16 Posts