Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to this site and like most of you I'm always searching for great beauty products and tips. Right now I'm looking for answers to my problem nails.....very weak and flaky. Would be greatful for any advice. PS. I'm otherwise healthy and well.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Have you tried taking prenatal vitamins? They work great for your hair and nails!!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi Cathy and welcome to the site, I used to have weak nails that would break before they grew to a decent length, plus they grew crooked ( I used to have over 100 warts on my fingers as a child). The only thing that My mom and me now use for our nails is a nail hardener called "witch craft" The stuff is awesome.

If you look at the ingredients there is a touch of formaldiahide, but my mother brought into the doctor's office years ago and asked him if that could hurt us and he said it was so minute, it couldn't hurt a fly. So I use witch craft nail hardeneer- it's a nice glossy look too and yes it's cheap!

·
Registered
419 Posts
My nails used to peel and were brittle. I definitely suggest vitamins with Biotin. I also use Nail Tek II. My manicurist suggested it to me and since I've been using it ( over a year now) my nails look great. Also apply olive oil/almond seed oil to your nails first...let it soak in, then apply the Nail Tek II.
Nail Tek Intensive Therapy II, 0.50oz

HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that. Hopefully this product exists in Australia....will have to check.

Hi Cathy and welcome to the site, I used to have weak nails that would break before they grew to a decent length, plus they grew crooked ( I used to have over 100 warts on my fingers as a child). The only thing that My mom and me now use for our nails is a nail hardener called "witch craft" The stuff is awesome.

If you look at the ingredients there is a touch of formaldiahide, but my mother brought into the doctor's office years ago and asked him if that could hurt us and he said it was so minute, it couldn't hurt a fly. So I use witch craft nail hardeneer- it's a nice glossy look too and yes it's cheap!

·
Registered
35 Posts
A problem nails solution that works- Nail Tek products...especially helpful for people trying to grow their own natural nails.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Taking supplements like:

MSM along with vit C,
silica in the form of BioSil,
and prenatal vitamins

will help not only your nails but also your hair, skin and joints!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
For sure try the Nail Tek II! I always had weak, brittle nails and tended to bite them when they would peel. Someone suggested this product to me and ever since then, my nails are long and strong! I second the Nail Tek!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have used OPI Nail Envy nail strengthener for years. If you follow the instructions exactly you will have nice nails in no time.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I second fawnie. Try silica supplement. Use it for 4-6 months, 6-8 tablets a day, makes nails extremely hard and shiny. Also improves hair (makes it more shiny and you loose less hair).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Cathy,

Welcome to the forum.

Nail condition can mirror your health. Nails can also dry out in very hot water and when exposed to detergents - so use household gloves to avoid this.

The area just under the cuticle comproses the active cells and nail-care here will provide results.

Thin brittle nails will often improve if you take Evening Primrose Oil. The recommended dose is six 500mg capsules daily for 6 months. Do persevre because it takes 3-4 months for a nail to grow from base to tip and 5-6 months to renew completely.

Use a rich cream every night and a hand-lotion containing and SPF during the day. Massage cream in well to speed up the circulation and encourage nail growth.

One a week, soak your nails in a little warmed olive oil for 5 minutes.

'Sally Hansen' products are made specifically for nails and there is a very good nail strengthener which you apply over the whole nail area, not just the cuticle.
Achieving sensational nails takes time so don't give up,

Hope this helps,

redrose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts