Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting from Dubai..
Im 41, just recently moved from OZland and sooo excited I found this forum! Been sitting for hrs sorting and reading cool topics wow..it's like hanging out with bunch of people with similar interest sharing real stories, you guys rock!!

Im a health freak make up artist and people ALWAYS comment on how young I look and ask for tips and tricks, and now I'm the one who need input
(I gave up the idea of finding my 3rd and last dermatologist last year
)
Last couple yrs I've been getting constant breakouts, nothing major but annoyingly I had never had them all my life. I know it's not stress or changing skin regime. Tried home remedies and creams and nothing really rid of them (slice tomato is the closest tho). Should I still go ahead with DIY chemical peel?Thank you

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
HI and welcome!
Hmmm...do you think the breakouts are hormonal in origin? Less estrogen/more testosterone can trigger them in some women.

I like LRP Effaclar A.I. for spot treatment of occasional pimples.

I don't know about DIY peels for the spots....maybe Retin-A and vit C serum could help tho.

Hope you are loving Dubai! What a fabulous opportunity to live there!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha I secretly in denial thinking Im 2 young to have hormonal issue, so you got me there

I'll try RA and the serum combo next week which I can get way cheaper from Indonesia, Dubai could be very expensive nowdays in this area. Any particular brand for RA? Should I wait til spring, because I spend heaps of time outdoor and it is still HOT month here.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Greeting from Dubai..
Im 41, just recently moved from OZland and sooo excited I found this forum! Been sitting for hrs sorting and reading cool topics wow..it's like hanging out with bunch of people with similar interest sharing real stories, you guys rock!!

Im a health freak make up artist and people ALWAYS comment on how young I look and ask for tips and tricks, and now I'm the one who need input
)
Last couple yrs I've been getting constant breakouts, nothing major but annoyingly I had never had them all my life. I know it's not stress or changing skin regime. Tried home remedies and creams and nothing really rid of them (slice tomato is the closest tho). Should I still go ahead with DIY chemical peel?Thank you
Try using a AHA/BHA if you want to try a peel, these tend to be more benifical for those that are acne prone. You could also try using a clay mask for your breakouts. If you don't like the results from the AHA/BHA then try the TCA.

I agree with Fawnie, definately hormonal. I am 40 and battled adult acne so bad I ended up going on Accutane. I too thought, no way could it be hormornal. Didn't ever figure out what was causing it, but the Accutane cured it-
Try using Retin A or Differin and see how you do with that. Or maybe look at your cleanser and get one with salicylic acid.

Best of luck-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx Gymrat, I'm getting Accutane today, and see how it works, because the Alpha Plus and Proactiv dont do any good to my face except extreme drying and tightness all over. What do you think of Rexsol vit C gel wash? Ive been using clinique step 1 liquid for years and thinking of give it a go only because 2 people sworn by it

Thx Galin, dont I miss home and munching pies...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Feel for you henny, but I hear that Dubai has great Gold.
Next time you're missing home, go buy yourself a nice gold necklace!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha you put smile on my face galin..im northern beaches chic, so not into gold ,YET!

@ vencasand, sure will, sunscreen in my handbags, in my son's bag, in the car need I say more?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi henny, please don't forget that we all need some healthy sunshine too. Here in Aus we've become so sun phobic that now we're not getting enough vitamin D.
Keep the face and neck smothered in sunscreen but let some of those healthy rays in on your arms and legs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greeting from Dubai..

)
The key thing you have mentioned is that you never had it and all of a sudden you do... It could be that you have developed an allergy to a food, which, believe it or not can cause breakouts in the skin, especially if it's to dairy. I always recommend that you see a natureopathic doctor and have them draw some blood and send it in for a food allergy testing. You may be surprised what you find out. Other causes can be, your hormones are changing... perhaps an early menopause. Your diet has changed... too much wheat, dairly or sugar which would throw your pH level off on your skin causing too much acidity. Chocolate and coffee can do the same. Alkaline your system by putting lemon in your water and try drinking at least 64 oz of water daily. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables which are high in alkalinity. Do not exfoliate on a regular basis... once a week is plenty. Use products for sensitive skin and hydrate without oils until your skin balances. A good balancing line for combination skin that is healing because it contains copper and is organic in ingredients is Ormedic by Image Skincare. Good Luck

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Thx Gymrat, I'm getting Accutane today, and see how it works, because the Alpha Plus and Proactiv dont do any good to my face except extreme drying and tightness all over. What do you think of Rexsol vit C gel wash? Ive been using clinique step 1 liquid for years and thinking of give it a go only because 2 people sworn by it

Thx Galin, dont I miss home and munching pies...
I don't know anything about Rexsol, sorry. I use a wash from PCA, I absolutely love it. PCA phase 1 is what it is called. I am sure finding it in your area might be a challenge. PCA SKIN pHaze 1 Facial Wash - 10% Off Code FAB10

If you have been using something for years and it hasn't helped, change is good henny!!

Also, taking Vit D capsules works just as well as being in the sun. If you choose to be in the sun just lather up with the sunscreen. Especially, if you do get on Accutane. It will make you SOOOOOOOO sensitive to sunlight. More so than Retin-A. So just be careful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ gymrat, my silly dermatologists (both) refused to give me Accutane coz they thought my condition NOT BAD enough!! and I couldnt get from any pharmacy either without prescription, in this country Accutane consider illegal (but so is drinking ..lol)

Actually 6th day on Rexsol vit C wash and Alpha Plus, my skin's getting clearer (I keep on telling my hubby it's the DIY vit C serum I got from this forum haha...not sure which, but Im enjoying myself mixing stuff looking like a smartass scientist
thanks guys. As my son said maybe I just need more patience and faith in doctors huh?

@seaaura, thanks, I do all the good stuff and made the boys here eat and live super healthily 2, EVERYTHING you mention plus daily multivit,omega3,chlorophyl shake (uhm can never give up chocolate though..)
About naturopath, my DH freaked out 3 yrs ago in sydney and we didnt go back eversince..as you said he did a very thorough test and we were surprised allright. Result
H has to cut down on rice, pineapple, cabbage,bread,pasta,all milk except organic soy, all cheese, all seafood but squid,onion,garlic, chilli,red meat,poultry, and the list continue...he tried for 2 be good for 6 weeks and planned to seek for second opinion, which never happened to this day. I decided anything everything is ok in moderation, not 2 much or 2 little. I guess I settle with hormonal change for now ha3x. I'll check out Ormedic today. Cheers

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Oh ya Accutane you can't get without a prescription here either. It is not something to mess around with. I had to get lab work every month to make sure my liver and kidneys were functioning right. Plus had to do an online quiz every month before they would refill my prescription, along with a pregnancy test.........which my husband was snipped years ago, but that wasn't good enough, I still had to be checked. They have tight rules for those on Accutane. But like I said, SO worth it in my opinion.

I am glad you have found something that is working for you-that is the hardest part-so good luck with it all.

Gosh, what happens if you are caught drinking? It is illegal here for those under 21 years of age.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok that sound quite serious gymrat, does it mean you are on it for life,?because i prefer not to take anything oral if possible. Maybe I should start peels asap instead of just monthly facial...boy I am getting older..

haha..coming from OZ I still have to learn and adjust many things, like first advice to expats is obtaining the liquor licence, otherwise jail plus fine big time!! Only hotels and duty free shop sell alcohol (almost triple the price) and no such thing as bottle shops

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
ok that sound quite serious gymrat, does it mean you are on it for life,?because i prefer not to take anything oral if possible. Maybe I should start peels asap instead of just monthly facial...boy I am getting older..

haha..coming from OZ I still have to learn and adjust many things, like first advice to expats is obtaining the liquor licence, otherwise jail plus fine big time!! Only hotels and duty free shop sell alcohol (almost triple the price) and no such thing as bottle shops
Oh no, Accutane is not something you take forever. I was on it for 6 months. I started out at a very low dose, then gradually increased to what my body could handle. Which was only 60mg-
which I took 30mg in the AM and 30mg in the PM.

Alcohol is over rated anyways, may as well make it illegal-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts