Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!! I joined this board mainly so I could post here ^_^. I'm not new to skin lightening but I've been learning a lot of new things nonetheless.

About me:
I can't post links but I am naturally about Halle Berry/Thandie Newton/Corinne Bailey Rae's color but....yellower...if that makes sense (I have yellow undertones). I have acne scarring from an acne war but I'm winning
I am 23 years-old. I have used HQ in the past, but right now I use a lot of Asian products (Japanese, Korean, and Taiwanese mainly) and products by Reviva Labs, because in combo with healthy eating the products I've used have really helped my skin. I mainly using lightening products on my face to even skin tone and get rid of scarring which has decreased tons. But I'm all about maintaining a bright/even appearance and I don't like tanning (I don't think I look good darker), unfortunately I have some weird uneven tan on my arms. :\\

Anyway some of my favorite ingredients are arbutin, rice bran, AHA, glycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid (so nice for moisture!). There are others but those are the ones I can think of at the top of my head. ^_^ I'm obsessed with skincare and the quest for perfect skin, but I'm rational and don't do anything crazy.

My skin idols are Thandie Newton and Corinne Bailey Rae because they have a similar complexion and they have seemingly perfect skin from head to toe (at least I think so from what I can see from movies and pictures
).

Anyway, I noticed certain brands of products were favored more than others and I want to know if anyone else uses Asian whitening products? If so what are your experience with them. And if not would you consider using them? I'm nothing close to Asian but I use them because they work for me. I don't use them to whiten my skin like a fair/pale complexion but the ingredients are the same ones (usually, not always) used in fading/lightening/whitening/brightening products elsewhere. I like that there are tons of products made specifically for whitening/lightening unlike in American brands. They don't have HQ in them though. I particularly like products from la glace, Skinlite, Elishacoy, Kuan Yuan Lian, My Beauty Diary, and Beautymate.

It's nice to find a community where you can ask questions/respond without people thinking badly of you. I looked high and low for one so am glad to have found this one.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi 4eyes and welcome! I haven't used any Asian lightening products but have always been interested in them. Do you find any of them to be very good in terms of lightening? Any one in particular? I'm using Fair and Flawless 5xF lightening gel at the moment. I've just started but will post my results as soon as I know. I think products with natural ingredients seem to work better for me.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Welcome 4eyes! hmmm, I've used the Belo Whitening Lotion from the Philippines on my arms and back of neck. I also have some Maxi Peel & Skin White exfoliants & toners but I've read mixed reviews on the Splash products. I also use Likas soap.

I'm curious about your products too. I've looked a some Asian items online but several had titanium dioxide (or whatever it is that gives a ghostly look) and I know that makes me look chalky. I'm sort of peanut butter colored.

I've been buying so many random skin products (Skin Nouveau Carotein Cream, 55h+ Cristalline Glycerin, Hydroquinone 4% and Retin-A, Othine HQ, Fair & Flawless, Belo, Nadinola, Chanel Performance Anti-Taches, La Roche Anthelios sunscreen, TCA 20% peel, Glycolic 50%...) in the last months that it's insane.

However, I'm currently doing the RA/HQ regi for areas on my body esp my super stubborn forearm tan. I'm very much looking forward to the day when I only have like Retin-a, 60+ sunblock & Cetaphil moisturizer in my cabinet.

btw, I love Corinne Bailey Rae! Welcome again!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Karennanev: From my experience (with face products), they work best for maintenance of light/bright complexions...especially in conjunction with high SPF sunscreens and avoiding unnecessary sun exposure. They also work well for correcting skin problems like redness, acne scarring, anti-aging, and age spots. I wouldn't recommend them for dark complexions that are trying to lighten appearance because I don't think they are intense enough (the ones I have come across), but I've read enough on this forum to know there are better methods for that.

There are a ton of products marketed specifically for whitening (everything from cleansers, lotions, masks, serums, tablets, etc), and they are usually reasonably priced so I started by experimenting. There are also non-whitening products that are good for looking bright. I have a problem with looking sallow or a weird yellow/brown color (not related to diet or an illness), so the one's I've tried seem to "awaken" the complexion--I listed the brands I've liked/tried in my first post. Products that use hyaluronic acid as one of their top ingredients works well. My skin doesn't feel too dry or oily, and it gives it a fresh appearance. I also like Skinlite's strawberry yogurt masque-- it looks and smells just like strawberry yogurt, unfortunately it's not edible so I wouldn't recommend using it on an empty stomach

You can start off using sheet masks, it is what I did. If you are already using products that work, then masks can just be a nice addition, because they are like a mini-spa treatment.

@Eggomini: oh really? I haven't seen too many products (well non-sunscreen) that use titanium dioxide, but I feel the same way as you with not wanting to look chalky. lol. I'm still searching for the perfect sunscreen....one day I will find it. The one I have gives off that annoy white film AND makes my knees/elbows darker (and I exfoliate regularly!). You listed some suncreen in your list...did you like the La Roche sunscreen? Or do you have any recommendations?

And thanks everyone for the welcome

·
Registered
412 Posts
HI 4eyes and welcome!!

I havent used any skin lightening products other than Meladerm and now HQ/RA...there are so many products out there and it makes the selection process a lil confusing

I wanted to ask you though..what are sheet masks? can you give us some details such as what they do, where to purchase, how much...etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
@Eggomini: oh really? I haven't seen too many products (well non-sunscreen) that use titanium dioxide, but I feel the same way as you with not wanting to look chalky. lol. I'm still searching for the perfect sunscreen....one day I will find it. The one I have gives off that annoy white film AND makes my knees/elbows darker (and I exfoliate regularly!). You listed some suncreen in your list...did you like the La Roche sunscreen? Or do you have any recommendations? [/B]

And thanks everyone for the welcome
I was thinking about some Asian items on ebay that I saw...but yes, maybe the TD was included as a sunscreen rather than cosmetic whitener? I think that sort of thing is fine when the skin is already close to white but on yellow/gold and brown skin..yikes..lol!

I like the Anthelios 60 Melt-in Sunscreen Milk a lot more than the Neutrogena 60+ Pure Baby sunscreen or the Peter Thomas Roth I was using before.

The Garnier Ambre Solaire is supposed to be great too. cool advert..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot of masks come in jars and bottles, but not sheet masks. Typically you don't see these in western brands. Here is a link that can explain them better than I can, complete with pictures:

www [dot] lotuspalace [dot] blogspot [dot] com/2008/05/fabulous-invention-sheet-masks [dot] html

I'd just ignore where she says about where you can get them from. Apparently she shops at Ebay, but I noticed they aren't always the best priced. But at the end of this message I've included a short list of the best places to buy them.

When you take the out of the package you'll see a folded cotton when you unfold it it's an actual cotton mask with the eyes, nose (well sort of it, it still covers the nose), and mouth cut out. It's got the essence/lotion on the mask and usually there is plenty of it. They usually stick to your face so you don't have to worry about them falling off as you move around. There are also masks that don't contain the sheets, like the strawberry yogurt one from Skinlite, but they are still as effective.

There are a variety: ones for deep cleaning, hydrating, whitening, brightening, anti-blemish, anti-aging, etc. You basically put them on your face for the recommended amount of time (anywhere from 5 minutes to 30). Some masks tell you to wipe off the essence, some tell you to massage the rest in.

Which type of mask I use depends on what is going on with my skin. I use brightening masks in the morning (1-2x's weekly), hydrating masks in the winter, anti-blemish masks 1-2x's a week (at night), and I'll use whitening masks after I exfoliate my face. There is such a variety and they are cost-efficient.

I've listed where I get mine from. They all ship internationally.

www [dot] sasa [dot] com- they ship from Hong Kong. For standard shipping it is $6 and takes about 2 1/2 weeks to get to the US. For faster shipping, it will cost $15. They offer free shipping over $75. they have individual mask packs for as cheap as $.50. I buy my Kuan Yuan Lian masks here for $6.40 for 10 packs. I get the Skinlite Strawberry Yogurt masque is $1 for one. Sasa is best if you want cheap masks (best for experimenting with or stocking up on your favorites).
www [dot] imomoko [dot] com- is based in California. There shipping is cheap (I think it's like $4.99). They offer free shipping, over $60 I think. Not the best place to buy masks from, but I buy my Kose products from here.
www [dot] beautykat [dot] com- is based in California I think (somewhere in the states). The cheapest shipping ever at $2.88 and only $5.88 for priority. They ship out really fast too. I buy The Beauty Story masks from here because Sasa is always out of stock with them. They are $15.88 for a box of ten. They don't have a huge selection like Sasa, but their products are still worth looking at.
www [dot] yesstyle [dot] com- ships from Hong Kong. They have a flat fee shipping rate of $10, free shipping over $150. If you purchase items that are in stock they get to the states REALLY fast...I think mine took only 2-3 days to get here.

Those are others but those are the primary ones I use.

I think that's it. If you have any more questions about them let me know. When I discovered them it was like discovering gold lol.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Those masks sound neat... goodness, I don't need to buy anything else right now but I'm adding them to my list of things to try eventually. LOL!
Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was thinking about some Asian items on ebay that I saw...but yes, maybe the TD was included as a sunscreen rather than cosmetic whitener? I think that sort of thing is fine when the skin is already close to white but on yellow/gold and brown skin..yikes..lol!

I like the Anthelios 60 Melt-in Sunscreen Milk a lot more than the Neutrogena 60+ Pure Baby sunscreen or the Peter Thomas Roth I was using before.

The Garnier Ambre Solaire is supposed to be great too. cool advert..
Ebay has good stuff, but steer clear of the knock-off papaya soaps. I purchased 8 bars of what amounts to orange wax, that were so soft you could schmoosch (is that a word?) them with your fingers. These soaps pale in comparison to the original Likas sopas.

Wondering what to do with them now. They smell a'ight. Maybe I will make candles....

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
candles sounds like a good idea, get those "candle strings" from the craft or hardware store. Melt the Orange wax and shape them into a round cylinder block; let it harden and dry then poke a 2 centimeter hole through the top of the candle all the way to the bottom then insert the candle string and tie it on the other end when it comes out of the bottom. If you dont like its smell then you can always add a couple of drops of lavender, rosemary, chamomile, or other essential oil drops that smell good on top of the candle so its frangrance is released into the environment everytime you light it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
208 Posts
candles sounds like a good idea, get those "candle strings" from the craft or hardware store. Melt the Orange wax and shape them into a round cylinder block; let it harden and dry then poke a 2 centimeter hole through the top of the candle all the way to the bottom then insert the candle string and tie it on the other end when it comes out of the bottom. If you dont like its smell then you can always add a couple of drops of lavender, rosemary, chamomile, or other essential oil drops that smell good on top of the candle so its frangrance is released into the environment everytime you light it.
You are awesome! Is there ANYTHING you don't know how to do? LOL

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Ebay has good stuff, but steer clear of the knock-off papaya soaps. I purchased 8 bars of what amounts to orange wax, that were so soft you could schmoosch (is that a word?) them with your fingers. These soaps pale in comparison to the original Likas sopas.

Wondering what to do with them now. They smell a'ight. Maybe I will make candles....
@ the candlemaking! Thanks for the warning CM! I bought my last Likas papaya through Amazon (i think it was from Yollies) ..I got some Crusader soap the other day. It's super-harsh.

I think I'll stick with Likas and Dove.

·
Registered
208 Posts
@ the candlemaking! Thanks for the warning CM! I bought my last Likas papaya through Amazon (i think it was from Yollies) ..I got some Crusader soap the other day. It's super-harsh.

I think I'll stick with Likas and Dove.
Can you tell be about Crusader soap? What's in it? I have the glutathione/kojic acid soap and it is harsh also, but excellent for brightening and exfoliation.

Reminds me to stock up on Likas. Fortunately a local beauty and barber supply has it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts