Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..i have spent a lot of time gazing through these forums and decided to finally post a message of my own.

My situation is like this, i am almost 26..spend probably not enough time in the sun as i'm supposed to. I jog early in the morning probably about 4x/week. I have thyroid issues as well as food absoption issues. I eat mostly whole grain bread, brown rice pasta and beans since i am cautious about what i eat. I don't eat fast food, i don't smoke and i rarely drink as all those things lead to quick aging.
Anyway i don't know if any of this is relevant but who cares. I think I look pretty good, I don't know how my skin compares to other ppl my age. I don't seem to be suffering from any significant wrinkles yet but i noticed i have a couple forehead lines. I honestly don't know how long i've had them but i don't like them. Maybe i frown too much. I also have a couple visible veins under my left eye which makes me look older than if i didn't have them. That could be possibly from contact lenses or too much time in front of a computer screen.

What i want basically is a cream that promotes collagen production and can slow down the aging process. I don't know too much about this area which is why i came here. I eat healthy and i just want to look as good as i can for as long as i can. I don't know if anything can help the forehead lines disappear but it would be great if there was something. I have done some research on creams and things and i think the more i read the more i get a headache. I initially came close to purchasing products from xtendlife.com then decided not to. I really would rather buy something locally rather than overseas.

I have read about serums, cleansers, anti aging cream..and basically came to the conclusion that a quality AHA product would be best. Someone mentioned Alpha-H rejuvinating 10% cream works wonders.

I live in Toronto,Canada. Can anyone recommend something useful with AHA. I feel lost i don't know what exactly to look for and where to buy it. Also should it be 5-8%? I don't know if a place like Shoppers Drug mart or a local health food store would have such a product..or do i need to order over the internet?

any suggestions would help..

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Hi welcome! I have use AHA for years and I really love them. I often buy mine from drugstoredotcom. I have used several brands over the years and one I like is Aqua Glycolic. If you go to the site just type in glycolic and a lot of products will come up. I also have used and love M.D. Forte III. If you are not use to these products start out slow and get the lower % and by ALL means never forget your sunscreen/block when going outside if on a cloudy day! Your skin will get more sensitive to the sun once you start using these products. Perhaps someone here can direct you to a lower priced product or website but this site is one of my favorites for shopping for AHA's but there are others. Good luck with it and I truly feel you will like using AHA's just remember to stick with it, gotta use it for it to work! At first it can sting a little but that just tells me it's working

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really cool thank you...drugstoredotcom i will check that out

ordering over the internet is always the most convenient..i wouldn't normally take that route but when you hear from someone else they do it that way then i know its safe and the products are valid. i have also read about AHA at informative sites that aha really does what it claims to do. thanks again

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just started reading about Green Cream | High Potency Retinols
would this be better than the AHA alone? this is all a little overwhelming at the moment..i think i have to lie down lol

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Well I have never tried the Green Cream but I think it would be safe to say it is much stronger than AHA. I think a few folks on here have used it. I think if you have skin that is not use to any kind of "treatment" you may want to work your way up slowly. Start with a AHA cleanser, toner and cream/lotion for a while then try a weaker Green Cream

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for all your help goatlady..i think i should take advantage of your generosity at the moment since i am close to buying exactly what i am looking for.

at drugstore.com:

M.D. Forte Facial Cleanser III 8 fl oz (240 ml) sells for $36 CAD. I am wondering if this is a good product for me. I noticed the ingredients include Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol. Aqua Glycolic has SD Alcohol 40B. Since i am new to this all i know from what i've read is avoid products with alcohol. Again i'm just playing devils advocate so i can find what i need. Like you mentioned these products are sold in toners,cleansers and lotions. Do i buy the entire set? Once i get used to these products I'll know what regimen i will need to follow

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my skin i would say is dry..well its hard to say

my forehead is usually oily but the rest of my face and my hands are usually dry

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
combo skin which mine is somewhat like. Also mature sadly being 47 years old. These products have not hurt my skin. I had no adverse effects from them at all. If you feel you are getting too dry when using them you could use another cream with more moisture say every other day. That should help.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
i just started reading about Green Cream | High Potency Retinols
would this be better than the AHA alone? this is all a little overwhelming at the moment..i think i have to lie down lol
I use Green Cream and love it. I also use Retin A and a AHA/BHA peel once a week. I have never had any problems with the combinations of any of my products.

Use just a little and see how your face is going to react to them before you jump feet first in with them.

A little goes a long way with the Green Cream.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks again for all the help

i think since my skin is more dry than oily, i'm going to give it a go buying the entire set: lotion,toner and cleanser...its not like i can't afford it. i like to give things a try and just like with anything else i'll learn what works and what doesnt.

the green cream i'll definately keep an eye out for the more i become accustomed to the AHA products.

appreciate all the input here..my next step is ordering..will simply decide which brand to get and then i'll buy

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can always use Retin-A in a low concentration like .4%. It's available in the US with an Rx, but many reputable online sites will ship to the US without. It will definitely reduce wrinkles, and many studies have proven it. It makes your skin more sensitive to the sun though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i live in canada so i think i might need a prescription..if that is the case then i won't bother

i mean, if its been proven that AHA works to reduce wrinkles and tighten the skin then that might be good enough for me. i eat well, exercise, don't smoke or drink so i think the hydroxy will be the cherry on top

of coarse the older i get the more into skincare i'll become so i don't know yet

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i forgot to mention that i already apply emu oil to my face..just pure emu oil. it hasn't really made any visible difference yet but its only been a month. at the moment the thing that bugs me the most is my left eye. under the eye its blue and 3 small veins are visible and it really makes me mad. buying a concealer is already on my to do list. the only question is will it work

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
You can always go with the AHA's to "prep" your skin for the stronger stuff like RA, TCA peels and glycolic peels. Start slow with your treatments. Keeping your skin hydrated ( emu oil etc ) is a good thing. Don't forget your sunscreen a must! If not you will just reverse everything you do. Besides your skin will become more sensitive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes defiinately starting slow is key especially since these products can be pretty potent.

ok i think i'll be purchasing Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12% Glycolic AHA. it seems to have great reviews and this is more or less what i'm looking for. i'm just going to go ahead and plead idiocy on this one but is an ingredient such as Cetyl Alcohol harmful at all? i read that alcholol is a harmful ingredient in beauty products. in this case it could be fine and not harmful at all i don't know

bascially my final two questions:

1. when buying a product such as this AHA cream, it suggests to use the same brand of cleanser beforehand. so in order for this exfoliant to reach its maximum potential, should i buy this same brands line of products ie: lotions, cleansers or does it matter if i use a cleanser i already own?

2. referring to the Cetyl Alcohol, is this harmful at all. i'd assume that it wouldn't be since the customers are people who are extra cautious and mindful of their skin

as always thank you for all the feedback

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it seems cetyl is safe so nothing to worry about

already purchased the 3 pack: souffle 12%, the cleanser and the moisturizer although i wonder if i really need the last two..

excited especially after reading things like "amazing product"..skin looks younger..wrinkles faded..

we will see how it works on me

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
STick with it and use it daily and don't stop unless you get some irritation then just quit for few days and try again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea this is something i've wanted to try for a while but i kept putting it off..

goatlady, do you think its necessary to apply the moisterizer after applying the toner like it says to do? i've read that the cream doesn't offer much in terms of keeping the skin moist but what if i don't care

say i'm at home and i don't care that my skin is dry..does it matter if i don't apply teh moisterizer?

this is important especially when you look at it in terms of the long run. i hope this stuff lasts a long time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts