Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am new to this forum
, and new to anti-aging skin care in general.

Until now, my skin care only involved keeping it clean with Cetaphil cleanser, and using a good sunscreen. But as I am getting older (just turned 40), I am noticing some annoying things - mainly eye wrinkles, dark circles under my eyes, and deeper folds between my nose & mouth . So, I've been doing a lot of on-line research, and have found this site to be very helpful (thanks!). I'm glad to find out that I don't have to just stand back and let age take over my face - I can do something about it!

So, I am trying to build a skin care regime based on the information I have read, mostly on this site. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I also have a few specific questions that I listed at the end.

(For the record, I have what I would call combination skin. It is very fair, and tends to break out - this is fairly well controlled by Solodyn oral antibiotics).

For a regime:

- I just started the Ageless if you Dare routine

- I would like to use Retin-A, probably the lowest concentration at first (.025%?) because I am new to it and my skin is pretty sensitive. This should only be used at night, correct?

- It seems that Vitamin-C serum is important. I could try one of the DYI ones. This should only be used in the morning, correct?

- Some sort of daily exfoliation, like the microfiber cloths mentioned here (or can I just use a washcloth to scrub?)

- I need some type of Vitamin K gel or cream for the dark circles under my eyes

- I would also like some sort of eye gel/cream to address the wrinkles

- I am interested in trying the Xtendlife products based on reviews I've read here (probably the day cream and night cream)

- I will still use sunscreen

Soooo, does this sound okay for a basic regime? I know different products work for different people, so I'm not necessarily looking for specific product/brand recommendations (although they are most certainly welcome and appreciated!), but the regime in general.

Now, my specific questions:
- My main question is about the application of all these things. When do you apply each, and do you have to wait a certain amount of time between them? Does eye cream come before day cream. When do you use the sunscreen? As you can see, I'm pretty clueless about all this

- I read here that one should use a moisturizer before the Retin-A to reduce redness. But I also read that using a moisterizer can 'dilute' the Retin-A. What's the best way to use it?

- What does toner do, and do I need it?

- I currently use Cetaphil cleanser. Should I switch to something with anti-aging ingredients?

- For the Retin-A, would the cream or the gel be better?

Thanks so much for any input. I am happy to have found this site!! (I sense a new obsession coming on.....
)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes it's confusing at first..We've all been there! Read read read!
this may help a little:
Retinoids 101 - Everything there is to know about retinoids

Don't try to address every problem all at once. Try a product, such as RA, for a while and then gradually add another product. You won't know what you are reacting to if you have a problem. Give your skin a chance to adjuct to the RA before jumping in on something else! Good luck! Use a gentle cleanser with RA and never a toner.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi JennyH, and welcome to the site! I know it may seem pretty darn confusing, but you seem to have read quite a bit, and learnt from it- good for you- yes the moisturizer would dilute ther retin A, I would try the retina without the moisturizer first depending on how sensitive your skin is. - The toner is remove any oils or debris the cleanser does not remove and to keep your skin balanced. And you always wear sun block a good one! before stepping outside, myself I wear spf 60 by vichy! hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi JennyH, and welcome to the site! I know it may seem pretty darn confusing, but you seem to have read quite a bit, and learnt from it- good for you- yes the moisturizer would dilute ther retin A, I would try the retina without the moisturizer first depending on how sensitive your skin is. - The toner is remove any oils or debris the cleanser does not remove and to keep your skin balanced. And you always wear sun block a good one! before stepping outside, myself I wear spf 60 by vichy! hope this helps you out.
Thanks! Is the 60 by Vichy the "milk" kind? How does it feel on your face - does it make it feel oily? I've tried lots of sunscreens and they usually leave my face a little shiny and oily.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
No the vichy is a cream, in a tube. It does not feel oily whatsoever there is a sheen to it, but it doesn't leave you shiny- You won't look like you've got oily skin. It's not heavy either, feel like you've got nothing on your face. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi Mony,

Do you wear the spf 60 sunblock all year round or a lower spf during winter?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Year round- why switch when you find something good! besides lots of sunblocks make my face break out, this one doesn't so I stick with it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Oh, I'm ticked off, I went into Shopper's drug mart to get more of my Vichy sunblock they were out- and don't expect any for a month or two. Called the other two shoppers nobody's got it in stock, all sold out waiting on a shipment; So I bit the bullet out of necessatity I got the La Roche Posay brand of spf 60- I hope I don't break out... wouldn't that be cute I do my first TCA Peel and then right after break out.....not a good thing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts