Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to this forum as you can see
I have been reading your forum for a couple of weeks looking for a simple skin care routine but unfortunately I am still as confused as ever! A little background info....I am a 23 year old guy from the UK. All through my teens I had lots of acne, tried every solution under the sun, eventually even going as far as accutane (really hated the stuff). The only thing that worked was following Dan Kerns BP regimen. About 3 years ago I was able to wean myself off this regimen, and have concluded that I have long since outgrown my hormonal acne problem. I still want to improve my skin however, and I have been unable to find that perfect combination of products. I have blocked pores and sensitive skin, as well as slight acne scarring from my course of accutane.

My latest regimin includes "Simple" moisturising face wash, green cream level 3, and sunsense daily face spf50. I am unsure of everything I am using
I think the sunscreen is overkill but have almost given up trying to find a decent one here in the UK, and I'm not sure I need the green cream but really want to refine my skin. So I would very much appreciate peoples input into my regimen. Incredibly sorry for the lengthy first post, I want to say more but I already seem to have over done it
I look forward to your help.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
No need to apologize for the post. That's what where here for.

I'm not familiar with that sunscreen but spf 50 is not overkill.
In the UK... Garnier Ambre Solaire is a very good sunscreen line.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Adam have you ever thought about using a topical for your acne and the scarring? I know you said you have sensitive skin, I did too after taking Accutane. I have been off Accutane since January and my skin is finally not as sensitive. Maybe try using Vit C serum and adding a low strenghth of Retin A to it. This will really help with any scars that you have and any break outs you get in the future.

I know all about Dans regimen. The sad thing about that is it is a BP product. BP may work for the moment, but in the long run, it will cause more damage than what it is worth. Also, you should never have to wean yourself off of any kind of facial products. You become addicted to BP because it keeps your acne under some control. The minute you stop is when all hell breaks loose-

Although, I am a fan of green cream, I am just thinking maybe another type of topical would work better for you. Differin is a great one, if you are not a fan of Retin A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Periwinkle, thank you very much for the ambre solaire suggestion. I will most definitely look into this. Also, has anyone had any experience with the Aubrey organics natural sun spf25?

Gymrat, I haven't addressed my acne directly for a couple of years now, not since quitting the BP, because it is now down to a level that I am quite comfortable with. I wouldn't even say I have an acne problem. As for the scarring, it is incredibly minor. Accutane was a big mistake for me, prior to my course of treatment, my acne was incredibly persistent and I had a lot of it, but I hadn't developed cystic acne. Of course, as to be expected my acne dramatically increased for the first month or two on Accutane, and I developed cystic acne for the first time especially on my right cheek which is where the scarring is. I have a slight depression in this area now as a result. I think it has improved over time and I very much doubt anyone else has really noticed, I'm not sure the contours of the cheek could ever be repaired though...It doesn't bother me too much, maybe because I'm a guy.
Do you think the Differin would be more suitable than green cream for someone with my background? What would be the advantages? I am very interested in the vitamin c serum, should I wait until I have settled on a retinol of some description before perusing another active? I would also like to make my own vit c serum, but keeping the active ingredients refrigerated and checking the ph seems like a task. Is it less complicated than I think?
Oh and I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to the constant BP use, I think my sensitivity issues arose from sticking to Dan Kern's regimen rather than as a result of Accutane. It helped me out a lot and gave me lovely skin at the time, but it was very harsh at the same time.
OOps, lots more babbling from me haha, anyway, Thank you!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Adam have you ever thought about using a topical for your acne and the scarring? I know you said you have sensitive skin, I did too after taking Accutane. I have been off Accutane since January and my skin is finally not as sensitive. Maybe try using Vit C serum and adding a low strenghth of Retin A to it. This will really help with any scars that you have and any break outs you get in the future.

I know all about Dans regimen. The sad thing about that is it is a BP product. BP may work for the moment, but in the long run, it will cause more damage than what it is worth. Also, you should never have to wean yourself off of any kind of facial products. You become addicted to BP because it keeps your acne under some control. The minute you stop is when all hell breaks loose-

Although, I am a fan of green cream, I am just thinking maybe another type of topical would work better for you. Differin is a great one, if you are not a fan of Retin A.
Hi Gymrat,

Never tried differin or accutane before. Do these help with acne scars if you have used both? I suffer from adult acne and I have some horrible scarring on my cheeks. On top, my skin is pretty sensitive too.

Also, does green cream or retIN-A help with both acne and scars?

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts