Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I have this disgusting big itchy hive outbreak! It started last Saturday (Nov. 19, 2008) and it started out on my rists and hands (just a little) then by sunday morning it was itchy. And yes, I admit, I have been scrathing extremely. By sunday I have been scratching all day because it has been extremely itchy, like none other. And right now it is Monday (Dec. 1, 2008) and its still itchy and red and lumpy. It goes away if I don't scratch if for a few hours. but one scratch explands it and it starts getting irratating fast.

My question is how did this happen? It havent eat anything out or ordinary, and nothing that Im allegic too. Randomly Saturday night I scratched then the next morning it was massively itchy. Also do hives spread if you scratch your arm then your leg then etc.? Because I have/had spots from my feet, legs, chest, back, arms, neck, just about everywhere!
Is there a virus or anything I have? Or just a random outbreak (never had it in my life).

I am also taking a acne pills (Doryx) and I started that like a month again, and when I started no hives or side effect EVER happened. The pills never made me itchy or anything. So I doubt its that, but it might. Also is there a recommanded over the counter drug I can use? I have read that my body is producing false alarms from stress and histamine and releases causing the hives. Again nothing like this ever happened to me before!

Please help me!
Thank you so so so much!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello! I'm so sorry I didn't see this post months ago. I may be able to help. I have a rare disease (mastocytosis) which results in hives, leukemia and, potentially, death. But enough about me. Believe it or not, my disease is kept completely under control with two over-the-counter remedies. Why two? Because our bodies have two different histamine receptors. So, my oncologoical hematologist has me on two different histamine blockers. One is Claritin (generic Loratadine, an H1 Blocker). The other is Tagamet (generic Cimetidine). Most people think of Tagamet as a remedy for stomach acid but, believe it or not, it is also an antihistamine (an H2 blocker). Let me know how you're doing. By the way, many times a product or food or other substance is fine until you cross the threshold of tolerance. After that, you're sensitized and will need those antihistamines.

God bless you,

Michele/Frenchie
Annabelle only at SCT

·
Registered
40 Posts
It sounds like Urticaria, which is nettle rash, but can be caused by allergic reactions to foods, chemicals pollutants, or bites or stings. First try Chamomile, don't scratch, as you may make it worse. I had this some 10 years ago, after just leaning against conifers we have in the garden. also as it was ( unusually for us) sunny, I had put a factor 8 on,and just parted the trees to talk with my neighbour. That night the itch on my hands was unbearable, and as it was weekend, no chemist shops open. I soon saw the pharmasist on Monday and he prescribed Chamomile lotion. keep applying it until you feel relief.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Annabelle,

I have been diagnosed with Mastocytosis, or Urticaria Pigmentosa which started over 30 years ago. My dermatologist recommended antihistamines, which dried me up and have long term terrible side effects!

Went into a health food store and happened to pick the brain of this very
informative sales person/nutritionist who told me instead of the drugs, try Quercetin and Bromelain supplementation- start with 500mg. 3x a day in-between meals. I was so dependent on the meds, I was frightened to stop- but gradually about 3 days after taking the supplements, guess what? it worked, my doc had nothing but surprise in his eyes!

I am sharing this with you because it really helps!

It's not only about meds all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Marcy!

Thank you so very much! I have intentionally been taking only half of my recommended Tagament dosage since I don't want my stomach acid to be tampered with too much. After all, one must be able to break down and assimilate nutrients.

I have read about the two natural remedies you mention and wondered if they were truly effective.

Not trying to advertise but I know vitacost.com offers both the supplements you mention. I am due to place an order anyway so will be certain to add your recommendations to my order. Will let you know if they help my symptoms. There is no cure for my congenital disease but controlling the hives, blemishes, swollen glands, fever, et cetera is the best one can hope for anyway. And if all that can be accomplished without drying drugs, well, so much the better!

I must be a bit cautious so am planning to try your recommendation during the middle of July when I will be off for a week a staycation. My work environment is full of fumes and chemicals so want to give my system a full week to adjust to a new regimen.

Very grateful that you read this thread and replied.

God bless you and merci beaucoups,

Michele, AKA Frenchie
Annabelle on SCT only

1 - 5 of 5 Posts