Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Upon reccommendation by Ninasky (I think I have the right person, if not sorry!) I decided to try compounding my HQ with DPG instead of cooking it up with Eucerin. I tried cooking with Eucerin and the outcome was not so good... I got my DPG in the mail the other day and I'm ready to cook!

So my question is, can you tell me how to do this as I heard it was a lot simpler? I'm trying to get a strength of 10%, but I can figure out the amounts, just need info on the actual steps in the process.

Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
HQ Compound:
HQ
Dipropylene Glycol or Glycerin

You will need a surgical mask/gloves for mixing, and some disposable spoons, plus something to mix with that you will not use for food prep.

For a 150ml cream, use 50ml DPG - pour into the glass jug and cover with cling film. Pierce with a hole. Heat in microwave on high power for about 1 min. The DPG should be heated to around 80-90 degrees celcius. Try not to overheat.

Remove (while you have your mask on as the vapours will be very strong) and add the HQ powder crystals. For a 10% concentration, use about 15g to every 100g. Stir in until fully dissolved. The mixture should be clear.

Small hard crystals will begin to form before dissolving, please ensure that there are no crystals remaining. Most of it will dissolve quickly. Do not reheat the mixture with the HQ in otherwise it will turn brown.

After dissolving, heat your cream (about 100-120g) for around 20-30 seconds (until more fluid like) Add the DPG/HQ mix to the cream and mix throughly.

I do not use cream personally, I just use the DPG and HQ so its like an oil but it may sit on your skin for a while before fully dissolving.

This is the reason for the Glycolic acid cream, as it will help the HQ to penetrate better into the dermis (skin).

Please mix a test batch first before you do the full cream. Please test the cream on the inside of your arm to check you are not sensitive to the mixture (and not to waste HQ) and check whether you get dermititus over 2 days. You should be fine however with 10%. Dont attempt to mix a higher concentration.

If you do, you risk dermititus (rash) and your skin turning high yellow with patches and this does not look nice.

You may use HQ4% and retina, however, I use it very little now, and mostly on my body because it causes such sporadic flaking and peeling. Try not to use too much retina on your face and neck. There are posts about this.

I recommend you use HQ10% for your body and 4% for your face as the face is easier to lighten and is different to 'body skin'. But you can use 10% for both, my face is just sensitive to the higher one.

With the Glycolic, try it on your body first. I use it mostly for the body because I use a strong AHA cleanser and toner and if I used Glycolic on my face aswell it would overwhelm my face.

Apply glycolic every day, but alternate your HQ. Application of HQ (home compound) will cause your palms to turn brown, as they are more likely to be in contact with water (washing hands etc). Wash your palms thoroughly after every application of HQ or use surgical gloves.

You will not need to use any other lotion as the hypo combined with the DPG will do just fine.

Scrub every other day with a nice light body scrub or use a flannel (preferred). Do not use soap as a cleanser for the face use a good facial care range. Dont mix facial care ranges.

Dont mix too much HQ at a time (I mix weekly/fortnightly).

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
395 Posts
thanks for sending that lnl I'm so busy nowadays! Good luck with it mixing scarfree! Xx

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ps I now mix for others so if interested pm moi! Fx

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for those instructions LNL!! I have just a few questions for you

1) When you said "After dissolving, heat your cream (about 100-120g) for around 20-30 seconds (until more fluid like) Add the DPG/HQ mix to the cream and mix throughly." Are you referring to glycolic acid cream? Isn't that what is used for the glycolic acid peel? That won't be too much on the skin since I'm using retin-A? I'm not that familiar with that cream, I'd have to do some more research on that...

2) When u said u don't use a cream, you just use the oil, do you use 135ml of DPG instead with 15ml of HQ?

3) I don't use RA much because I had the .1% and it was too strong, but I always thought it was good to use everyday because of the exfoliation, but thanks for the tip! I had no idea...

4) I'm using this method mainly for discolorations from scars on my body, not so much for overall lightening. Although I am using HQ 4% for some acne scarring on my face.

5) I've heard a lot about AHA thrown around on the boards, do you recommed using it on a daily basis? (Something else I need to research
)

6) When you said "You will not need to use any other lotion as the hypo combined with the DPG will do just fine. " What kind of lotion are you referring to?

7) Lastly, but not least
, what is a "facial care range"? Like AHA's etc...?

Ninasky: Thanks for the offer!! If I end up with an explosion in my *******, I will be pm'ing you!! I already purchased the DPG, so I'm going to give it a shot...

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Scarfree, so sorry for the mix up. Omit the "cream" part because this original recipe was for people who were going to add the DPG/HQ mixture to their Eucerin cream to make it last longer and to have a cream rather than a gel. But you go ahead and ignore the cream part, this works better anyways with the DPG/HQ mixture used alone on your skin.
You dont use RA much? Im sorry for that too b/c everybody got started off on the 0.1% RA with the HQ, 0.1% RA GEL is not necessary to achieve lightening because most people find it too strong for them, thats why I suggest the 0.05% CREAM version which you can and you should use everyday to help with the lightening.
Use the HQ 4% with the RA 0.05% Cream version on your face and your scars will be gone in about a month then you can only use the RA everyday and leave the HQ b/c your scars will be gone and you will be even. I personally and many members here are going to be using hte RA for years and years to come b/c it reverses all the daily damage done to your skin from the environment and the sun.
The AHAs you dont need b/c you have the Retin-A which essentially does the same job of exfoliating; those people who use AHA such as Ninasky use it b/c they dont use the RA. But you can however do a Lactic Acid peel after three months of the RA use, stop the RA use 1 week before the Lactic Acid peel and dont use it one week after the peel. The Lactic Acid at 40% + concentration will lighten your skin. Makeupartistschoice.com has excellent Lactic Acid concentrations with Licorice Extract which is another lightener.

6. Ignore the lotion part b/c I explained earlier in this message that it was for those who wanted to add the DPG/HQ to a cream mixture to make a HQ cream instead of gel.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for clarifying that up for me! I just got my order in from ADC, so I used the retinA .05% the other night, but I stopped because I will be doing a peel next week. I think my skin likes the gel better, but its just too strong for everyday use. It seems like I got a little bit of acne coming to the surface from the cream, maybe because the cream is oil based... not sure. Then again, certain times of the month I break out more than others and maybe thats what it is..

So which do you like better between the lactic acid and the glycolic acid? There's so many acids, its hard to pick just one!

I'm also trying to get rid of some shallow rolling acne scars I have on my face, and I heard of people using glycolic acid (30%?) for that..

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh I didnt think u had the acne problem, ok use the 0.1% gel every other night then b/c that is the most effective at stopping acne in its tracks with conitnued use, it also gets rid of oily skin so if you keep using it for week you will see that when you once had oily skin is now considered "normal", also it tightens big pores. Ever since I learned more and more about Lactic Acid and used it myself and compared it to other peels, I have to say that LActic Acid is best at lightening the skin, exfolating and it also moisturizes so you get a glow and NO DOWN TIME!!! Glycolic Acid is good for those people who have never exfoliated in their life and they need the extra exfoliation to undo years worth of damage, it is VERY drying and I dont recommend it for darker skin tones. Lactic is the way to go.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok cool, so there is some truth to the gel being better for acne prone skin.. good to know, so I won't continue with the .05% I'll just use that for my neck and chest area then, so it won't go to waste.

I ordered the lactic and glycolic acid yesterday before I read your post
I figured more acids are better than one lol.. so I'll try out the lactic acid and see how that goes!! So you think it will be strong enough to help with rolling acne scarring?

Thanks again hun

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ninasky: Thanks for the offer!! If I end up with an explosion in my *******, I will be pm'ing you!! I already purchased the DPG, so I'm going to give it a shot...
Ok great -good luck. Please do not leave your microwave or pan unattended and do not overheat, okay. Do not heat HQ in microwave.

xx

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thansk
I just heat the DPG in the microwave, I didn't put the HQ in there.. Is the mixture supposed to have a tint of a pinkish brown color?

·
Registered
395 Posts
No,

The DPG mixture should be clear. No pinking, no browning. Does it turn when you add the lotion? Did you allow it to cool before you added the lotion? Just so I can spot where its going wrong...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ninasky-

Well... I didn't add lotion, I just used the DPG by itself. I put it in the microwave, covered in a pyrex bowl, and stirred the crystals in. That's it! LNL said that he mistakenly added that portion in there. I PM'ed LNL and he said:

Quote: Originally Posted by

no actually it has a very light yellowish grey tint. maybe its the quality of the HQ or where you got it from, differint places have different color HQ. 97% Purity is I think yellow, 98% is grey 99% beige 100% off white.

So... maybe it depends on the purity? I think I'm going to go to a photography store and order some new crystals anyway... I had a bad outcome with Ondine's recipe using eucerin too..

·
Registered
395 Posts
ninasky-

Well... I didn't add lotion, I just used the DPG by itself. I put it in the microwave, covered in a pyrex bowl, and stirred the crystals in. That's it! LNL said that he mistakenly added that portion in there. I PM'ed LNL and he said:

So... maybe it depends on the purity? I think I'm going to go to a photography store and order some new crystals anyway... I had a bad outcome with Ondine's recipe using eucerin too..
ok, as long as it is not brown.

a faint yellow tint may be detectable, but it can depend on what ur using to mix it, ie if a chopstick, the wood colour can affect it etc., but it sounds ok.

re the eucerin, i dont think the dpg/active ratio was enough. hq reacts so easily when it comes into contact with an aqua/water based lotion and there isnt enough stabiliser.

you can also put this mixture in a clear bottle - you'll be able to check it progress as you use it over the week. applies to dpg and hq only - oh and if successful dont use this for more than 3-4 months, ok?

·
Registered
55 Posts
6. Ignore the lotion part b/c I explained earlier in this message that it was for those who wanted to add the DPG/HQ to a cream mixture to make a HQ cream instead of gel.
@LightenNLift hate to dig up and old tread but what is the life of the HQ compound. Does it get old or expire/ no longer work. I made 9 oz and I think it's not working any more after a week I think. Maybe two.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
@LightenNLift  hate to dig up and old tread but what is the life of the HQ compound. Does it get old or expire/ no longer work. I made 9 oz and I think it's not working any more after a week I think. Maybe two.
It can oxides, if that happens it will turn brown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts