Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a butter consisting of Shea butter, olive oil, vitamin e oil with coconut & almond fragrence. Whiped with a stick blender, spooned into a wide mouth jar and refrigerated. QUESTION IS: How long will it last in the fridge and how long would it last out in a cool dark place? THANKS

·
Registered
14 Posts
I made a butter consisting of Shea butter, olive oil, vitamin e oil with coconut & almond fragrence. Whiped with a stick blender, spooned into a wide mouth jar and refrigerated. QUESTION IS: How long will it last in the fridge and how long would it last out in a cool dark place? THANKS
Hey Marissa,
It depends on the ratio and concentrate. Vitamin e is actually a natural preservative. If all the mentioned ingredients are all pure and natural then it should keep until you notice inconsistancy - which I'll say 10-14 days (in the fridge) The only problem with your recipe is - olive oil tends to 'clog' and shea butter slightly 'harden' when place in a fridge so maybe a cool dry place is a better option.
Keep the butter free from contamination and make small portion, a few days shouldn't be a problem!
Good Luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question for you. I tried to make some body butter using shea butter, cocoa butter, coffee butter, a dab of vit e oil. I melted them all down,,, cooled them and whipped them. It has turned out as hard as a rock. I've tried melting it down and whipping again, but still sets up like a rock. I was told to add some unsented bottled lotion to it. Just wondering what this would do to it. Any ideas? I was going for a coffee/cocoa fragrance. Smells not quite what I'm looking for either. I added some vanilla but maybe not enough? HELP please!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Marissa, Vit E is not a preservative. It is an antioxidant and will, however, help keep the other ingredients from going rancid.

Your body butter will last a long time -- I'd say up to 6 months. It does not need to be refrigerated.

bugsmema, you need to add some oil to your butter mixture to soften it up. I wouldn't add the lotion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I make my body butters I don't refrigerate them either or use a preservative. I like to say away from any preservatives if I can. I make just enough to last a few months and then make them again. I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Most butters and oils do not need refrigerator. Besides, if you put it in the fridge it will turn stiff and cold and hard to apply.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I'm thinking with BB you aren't going to be making buckets of it so maybe adding a preservative would be redundant? I stay away from preservs. as much as I can (though going cheap and commercial lately). They all seem to make my face red and irritated. Not sure for BB what a preservative would do. I've never really paid attn. I am a bit dense at times.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Shea butter usually stays solid and can go for MONTHS and still be fine so yes what the orders said 6 months is no need to refrigerate cause its already too hard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dont think there should be any problem for it to last long if you put it in the fridge. Also, that sounds like a great concoction. Was it effective>?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts