Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so today I plucked all of my roses and buds from their bushes (Bright pink and Yellow Knockout Roses). I decided it was time to give making rosewater a try. I did not do the distilled version (inverted pot lid) BUT the time saving infused version.

I put 6 cups of water into a stainless steel pot and 6 cups of tightly packed roses and buds. NO stems, leaves, etc... Brought to a simmer and turned off the heat...let steep for an hour. Roses lost ALL their color and I strained and squeezed the roses then poured into Mason jars. The color is not what I expected, so I have added a pic and want to know what you think!

ALSO, I have VERY dry skin and wanted to use a rosewater vitamin C spray on my body before my daily dose of an oil concoction (moisturizer). When I added the rosewater to my vitamin C...it turned PINK! Very pretty BUT Is this reaction between the rosewater and C crystals okay and is this okay to use on my skin? I assume so, but I AM a novice and wanted to know for sure.

Again...A BIG Thank in advance!!!!

ROSEWATER WITH VITAMIN C PLAIN ROSEWATER

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
Take tmeyer advice...........use a preservative if you didn't. Then it will be perfect-:thumbsup: There are several members who use Vit C in a spray bottle mixed with distilled. Good for you, going the extra mile to be creative with your rose buds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you all. No preservative. I'd really like to keep it as natural as possible. Is the turning pink reaction when hitting ascorbic acid powder normal?

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
Thanks you all. No preservative. I'd really like to keep it as natural as possible. Is the turning pink reaction when hitting ascorbic acid powder normal?
I am sure it is completely normal............most rose waters have a pink tint. If no preservative, I would keep it in the fridge and use it within a week.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I would agree about the preservatives. Any time water is involved, you easily run the risk of contamination.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would guess that the petals oxidised in the water and the vitamin C mopped up much of the oxidisation
And they do look very pretty!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hi

If you don't use a preservative, the shelf life of an infusion is only a few days and it must be refrigerated. For a longer shelf life you can freeze the infusion.

The color change is fine, it's probably the anthocyanins reacting with the acid.

HTH!

Cheers,
Li

1 - 10 of 10 Posts