Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know what the problem with my skin is!!

Hyper-pigmentation......Dark spots......Post acne mark spots.......I just am not sure what is wrong with my horrible complexion

Here are some pictures:

Please help me with any possible diagnosis or cures..

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
On your shoulder it looks like acne scarring to me. The main thing you want to do is make sure you are wearing sunscreen when you go outside. Make sure to exfoliate the area once or twice a week. Over time they should fade. How long have you had them?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I too see a combination of sun spots (lentigines) & acne scars. THe above advice is the same thing I'd say. THen, I'd suggest getting s 'sure' diagnosis from a dermatologist. Sometimes, things are not what they appear to be.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Abstrakt, not that horrible IMO. I had something similar to that, mine was a combination of acne scars, hyperpigmentation and sundamage. Retin-a, HQ4% , vitamin c serum, st likas papaya soap helped fix and is still fixing the problem. If you still have acne, you have to start by fixing that first and then work on clearing the scars later. There are many threads on this site that deals with acne that are very helpful, take some time to fish them out. Retin-a works well for acne too so you may just wanna start with that, however for a proper diagnosis, you need to see a dermatologist. HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had these for about 2 years Gym rat and thanks for the advice.

Thank you ttee, I will take these supplements and stay aware of sun damage as well.

I will look into this alot more to become fully informed.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
So in 2 years have you noticed if they have lighten at all? Usually, with acne scars, they start off red, then turn brown, and gradually start fading. Not all acne scars go away, but most do.

The reason why you want to make sure and wear sunscreen is because you don't want the sun to darken those spots. And believe me, it will happen if you don't prevent it. So lather up the sunscreen!

Just remember, what looks bad and noticable to you, isn't to others!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gym Rat. Yes I believe the sun has darkened the spots because I have them all over my back. It is not anything horrible but it is present and that is bad enough for me. My acne scarring is not even my main problem though but thanks for the advice on the sun screen.

My main problem is this damn hyper pigmentation that I have like in the first picture which is all over my body. I use Black African soap but I think it is just a skin lightener and I did not want to use those. I might just try to adapt to the products that will transform me from the inside out instead of the outside in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Likas papaya soap might help lighten skin, but I don't think the African Black soap does. Ingredients need to have a lightener like kojic acid or papaya enzyme, or even licorice to affect skin color. I agree with the others' advice - use a sunscreen and try Retin-A with Hydroquinone 4%. These will take a good month to 6 weeks of daily use before you see much difference though, so keep that in mind. Exfoliation in the shower with a microdermabrasion cloth or sponge will also get rid of the stubborn skin cells that should have dropped off but haven't yet. This might help give your skin an even look. I cannot tell from the first picture that there is any problem at all, but these things are helpful to your skin overall at any rate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts