Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abbreviations for my newbies (as I wish I had this when I was new): SL= Skinlight, RA= Retin A, KS= Kojie San, LA= Lactic Acid, KIT= Korean Italian Towel, CL = Carolight, GS= Glow-skin, HQ= Hydroquinone, LS= light skinned SAP= Sun Avoidance/Protection BSS= Beauty Supply store

NB:
I started at Gabrielle Union (her original shade not in 2021) and I was 410/420 in fenty and an NC50 in Mac. If you want to read my entire journey here is my thread: Skinlight- How long should I give it?

Everything I learnt was from here and through trial and error :)

How long did it take?
9 months! Could’ve had a whole baby in that time loool

What’s my regimen?

MORNING

Face-
Kojie San (5 mins)
vitamin C serum
Raphe pharmaceutique deep bleach creme
sunscreen SPF 50,

Body-
Kojie San (5 mins)
skin light mix (mixed with CL oil or CW oil)
Neoplus gel forte (knuckles)

NIGHT

Body-
Kojie San (5 mins) I use a KIT to scrub 2x a week
LA lotion 15% / Retin A 0.1 (3 x a week) DISCLAIMER I used La lotion for the first 5 months then it would randomly burn me so I switched to RA, also I mix a squirt of RA in palm of hand with Skinlight before rubbing on body
Skinlight (mixed with CL oil or CW oil)
Neoplus gel forte (knucles)

Face:
Kojie San (5 mins)
1 pump of skinpharm whitening gel
Retin A 0.1 (3x a week)
Rosehip oil
Moisturiser

Once a week I do an La peel (50%) I skin build for 2 days following the peel with whipped Shea butter and olive oil or Jergens if I cba. Then I do a sea salt bath once a week and use my KIT.

Where did I buy my products: eBay or the official website, amazon (if it’s a natural product like Vit C serum etc.) or AllDayChemist (RA) If you live in the UK don’t bother with any BSS as HQ is banned here so they will sell you a HQ free product and it won’t be anywhere near as effective

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Advice to newbies/ general advice

Everyone is different and be mindful of people claiming they went from dark to light in 3 months. Because of this I expected the same result and was disappointed to find out I was still brownskinned after 3 months. They either were not that dark to begin with and exaggerated or the ‘light skin’ is in actuality just med caramel, or they were using steroids (knowingly or unknowingly).

• sometimes when you’re so focussed on achieving a set skin tone you don’t appreciate the one that you have and the progress you’ve made. There’s somebody out there that would die to have your current skintone. When I was dark caramel I was so focussed on being light that I didn’t realise that caramel, mocha, coffee are pretty skin colours too. LS is not the only nice skintone there is.
  • When you lighten too fast you risk stripping yourself of your undertone. Which gives that grey look.
  • Be aware of the nomenclature of steroids. I studied chemistry at sixth form level and since joining I can identify them. Usually things ending in -ate or -sol are steroids e.g. clobetasol propionate . Sometimes they are under a different name so if you are not sure google it or make a thread/PM someone and ask.
  • If anything lightens you quick like in one week/2 weeks and its significant it is probably a steroid. Just wean yourself if you find out it is to avoid withdrawal symptoms and further damage.
  • Consistency is key, I barely skipped a day and If I ‘skipped it’ I still applied the cream that day just once instead of the usual twice a day cause I was lazy.
  • Whatever you use or your face use on your neck too and behind the ears and underside of chin! People always forget then you see their ears from the back and they are dark in contrast.
  • If you are looking ashy Vit C serum will sort it right out.
  • Separate product (natural with no HQ) for knuckles! HQ can darken joints (don’t think it darkened mine but it lightened it way slower than rest of body)
  • It really is not the end of the world if your knuckles are one shade darker (mine were naturally, as are many people’s), now if they’re 3 shades then you need to fix this because then it will be obvious you are bleaching.
  • I personally wouldn’t go over 4% HQ so stick to 4 if you can because its safer. Results may be slower but at least it’s safe.
  • Use lightening cream twice a day
  • If you see a YouTube or influencer who is your goal complexion drop a comment and ask them their foundation shade and usually they will tell you, especially if they are a smaller influencer. This makes it easier to track progress
  • Use latex gloves when applying creams because between my fingers got really thin and red and kept peeling. It was very uncomfortable .
  • There may be slow months where you barely lighten/ plateau as opposed to losing a solid shade each month.
  • You will BE BROWNSKINNED FOR A WHILE. Dark skin and light skin are at opposite ends of the spectrum and brown is the middle ground that the majority of people fall in. You may feel like you’re barely lightening cos your still brownskinned but you’re levelling up slowly.

What not to do:
  • Please don’t ever be in a hurry and be patient. I thought nothing was happening so I was exfoliating everyday and occluding and wound up with a huge burn patch on my arm that was there for 3 months but now it is gone and it never would’ve happened if I had just been patient.
  • Skip on SAP! I used sunscreen even when in house and in my bedroom my blinds are usually down. Don’t let this stop you from living your life though,I still went out with my friends and wore what I wanted . (E.g if I wanted to wear a sleeveless dress in the summer I would put on a light blazer and take it off when we got inside )
  • Leave acidic soap on for too long . I left it on for 15 mins twice a day and although I don’t have many visible blue veins I’ve noticed that I bruise quite easily if I bump into something. The bruises do go in like 2/3 days but I suspect this is from leaving on the soap too long. So now I only do 5 minutes.
  • Start off with high acid concentrations just because you think the peel is not working. I barely ever get visible peeling but when I scrub with my KIT loads of dead skin comes off that didn’t look dead prior. I use 50% and I don’t go any higher
  • Skip on skin building because you don’t want to miss a day of your regimen . It’s important. You know those African/Caribbean aunties who have blue veins and dark patches? It’s because all they know is slathering on steroid creams and do nothing that helps the quality of the skin. You do not want that.
  • If you are buying SL or any HQ product on eBay please double check with the seller that it is the HQ version and not the EU Kojic acid one. Luckily this never happened to me despite not checking at first but its good to be aware.
  • Stare at the mirror every morning expecting to see change . Nothing is overnight and if you keep watching like a hawk you will never notice anything. If your family said you have gotten lighter believe them.

• Use HQ for more than 5 months. This is the max amount of time you can use it before risking onchronsis which is irreversible. Wean yourself off HQ when you’re beginning to approach your HQ break i.e. if you use twice a day use it once a day at night and use another cream in the morning, Do this for 5 days then for another 5 days use your replacement cream both morning and night, then the next day use HQ at night and replacement cream in the morning again like we did at first and keep alternating until you are no longer using HQ and using your new HQ free cream full time.
  • Use LA lotion twice a day. Once and at night please! Acids make your skin sensitive during the day and you will burn yourself.
  • Use KS or any acidic soap after having a sea salt bath. Once again, you will burn yourself
  • Scrub too hard with KIT . You guys are probably getting the hang of this now. You will burn yourself (friction) and irritate your skin.
  • Continue using a cream that shows no results after 6-8 weeks. I did not notice any difference using SL before 6 weeks so sometimes a month can be too short.
  • Put acids in creased body parts where skin is thin e.g. Armpits, arm crease, between fingers, back of knees. Before peeling baste these areas with a thick layer of vaseline to prevent burns.

How I kept motivated: Pinterest (made a board with girls who had my goal complexion) , following girls who had my goal complexion, visiting SCT many times a day, attention in public, every 2 months visiting the makeup counter (Mac or fenty) to get colour matched, looking at old pics of myself

What didn’t help:
  • LA lotion was okay but it would keep randomly burning me. I would be using it for the week then one day it would burn. Way too unpredictable for me so I stopped . Even tried lowering the concentration from 15% to 12% and this still was an issue.
  • Extreme Glow . Apparently this has steroids but I find this a bit hard to believe because I used it for 4 months straight and barely had any lightening. However I did get a stretch mark near my armpit. I wish I’d stopped after 1 month because I could’ve been at my goal wayyyy earlier (like in time for June like I had originally planned) but I was trying to keep hope.
  • Occlusion has burnt me twice so I would never do it again. Oddly it only burnt me when I used LA lotion (see above) not when I occluded with a peel.
  • Fungicide (dark knuckle remover. It makes ur knuckles peel off while wet but when they dry it’s like nothing happened and tbh I feel like it made my knuckles a bit darker. I never mentioned it on my thread because I only used it three times and it did nothing

Key products: Sea salt baths, KIT, Skinlight, CL oil

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope that helps you guys! I tried to be as detailed as I could :) . Also I forgot to add something that helped motivate me when I was lying in bed all morning and cba to do my regimen, I would play a game:

E.g. say I was scrolling on tiktok and I cba to get up I'd say to myself the first LS who pops up on my fyp I would get up and go do my reggie so I can get like them and it acc works lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can’t thank you enough for this Dehum.
I have been following your other thread and you are truly an inspiration for me!!
I’m very motivated now to keep my journey going and I pray to achieve your skin tone one day.

i just love how detailed your post was. I have learned a lot. The lactic acid peel you do once a week, is what I’m going to incorporate into my journey from now on.
Just a quick question concerning that:
How long did you leave it on? How many layers did you apply and how did you manage to apply it all over your body?

once again thanks for your hard work! You are such a kind soul <3

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can’t thank you enough for this Dehum.
I have been following your other thread and you are truly an inspiration for me!!
I’m very motivated now to keep my journey going and I pray to achieve your skin tone one day.

i just love how detailed your post was. I have learned a lot. The lactic acid peel you do once a week, is what I’m going to incorporate into my journey from now on.
Just a quick question concerning that:
How long did you leave it on? How many layers did you apply and how did you manage to apply it all over your body?

once again thanks for your hard work! You are such a kind soul <3
Hey, I put the peel in a ‘continuous spray bottle’ that I bought from Amazon. Left it on anywhere from 6-10 mins (if it stung I would just rinse it off). I usually apply 2 layers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Advice to newbies/ general advice

Everyone is different and be mindful of people claiming they went from dark to light in 3 months. Because of this I expected the same result and was disappointed to find out I was still brownskinned after 3 months. They either were not that dark to begin with and exaggerated or the ‘light skin’ is in actuality just med caramel, or they were using steroids (knowingly or unknowingly).

• sometimes when you’re so focussed on achieving a set skin tone you don’t appreciate the one that you have and the progress you’ve made. There’s somebody out there that would die to have your current skintone. When I was dark caramel I was so focussed on being light that I didn’t realise that caramel, mocha, coffee are pretty skin colours too. LS is not the only nice skintone there is.
  • When you lighten too fast you risk stripping yourself of your undertone. Which gives that grey look.
  • Be aware of the nomenclature of steroids. I studied chemistry at sixth form level and since joining I can identify them. Usually things ending in -ate or -sol are steroids e.g. clobetasol propionate . Sometimes they are under a different name so if you are not sure google it or make a thread/PM someone and ask.
  • If anything lightens you quick like in one week/2 weeks and its significant it is probably a steroid. Just wean yourself if you find out it is to avoid withdrawal symptoms and further damage.
  • Consistency is key, I barely skipped a day and If I ‘skipped it’ I still applied the cream that day just once instead of the usual twice a day cause I was lazy.
  • Whatever you use or your face use on your neck too and behind the ears and underside of chin! People always forget then you see their ears from the back and they are dark in contrast.
  • If you are looking ashy Vit C serum will sort it right out.
  • Separate product (natural with no HQ) for knuckles! HQ can darken joints (don’t think it darkened mine but it lightened it way slower than rest of body)
  • It really is not the end of the world if your knuckles are one shade darker (mine were naturally, as are many people’s), now if they’re 3 shades then you need to fix this because then it will be obvious you are bleaching.
  • I personally wouldn’t go over 4% HQ so stick to 4 if you can because its safer. Results may be slower but at least it’s safe.
  • Use lightening cream twice a day
  • If you see a YouTube or influencer who is your goal complexion drop a comment and ask them their foundation shade and usually they will tell you, especially if they are a smaller influencer. This makes it easier to track progress
  • Use latex gloves when applying creams because between my fingers got really thin and red and kept peeling. It was very uncomfortable .
  • There may be slow months where you barely lighten/ plateau as opposed to losing a solid shade each month.
  • You will BE BROWNSKINNED FOR A WHILE. Dark skin and light skin are at opposite ends of the spectrum and brown is the middle ground that the majority of people fall in. You may feel like you’re barely lightening cos your still brownskinned but you’re levelling up slowly.

What not to do:
  • Please don’t ever be in a hurry and be patient. I thought nothing was happening so I was exfoliating everyday and occluding and wound up with a huge burn patch on my arm that was there for 3 months but now it is gone and it never would’ve happened if I had just been patient.
  • Skip on SAP! I used sunscreen even when in house and in my bedroom my blinds are usually down. Don’t let this stop you from living your life though,I still went out with my friends and wore what I wanted . (E.g if I wanted to wear a sleeveless dress in the summer I would put on a light blazer and take it off when we got inside )
  • Leave acidic soap on for too long . I left it on for 15 mins twice a day and although I don’t have many visible blue veins I’ve noticed that I bruise quite easily if I bump into something. The bruises do go in like 2/3 days but I suspect this is from leaving on the soap too long. So now I only do 5 minutes.
  • Start off with high acid concentrations just because you think the peel is not working. I barely ever get visible peeling but when I scrub with my KIT loads of dead skin comes off that didn’t look dead prior. I use 50% and I don’t go any higher
  • Skip on skin building because you don’t want to miss a day of your regimen . It’s important. You know those African/Caribbean aunties who have blue veins and dark patches? It’s because all they know is slathering on steroid creams and do nothing that helps the quality of the skin. You do not want that.
  • If you are buying SL or any HQ product on eBay please double check with the seller that it is the HQ version and not the EU Kojic acid one. Luckily this never happened to me despite not checking at first but its good to be aware.
  • Stare at the mirror every morning expecting to see change . Nothing is overnight and if you keep watching like a hawk you will never notice anything. If your family said you have gotten lighter believe them.

• Use HQ for more than 5 months. This is the max amount of time you can use it before risking onchronsis which is irreversible. Wean yourself off HQ when you’re beginning to approach your HQ break i.e. if you use twice a day use it once a day at night and use another cream in the morning, Do this for 5 days then for another 5 days use your replacement cream both morning and night, then the next day use HQ at night and replacement cream in the morning again like we did at first and keep alternating until you are no longer using HQ and using your new HQ free cream full time.
  • Use LA lotion twice a day. Once and at night please! Acids make your skin sensitive during the day and you will burn yourself.
  • Use KS or any acidic soap after having a sea salt bath. Once again, you will burn yourself
  • Scrub too hard with KIT . You guys are probably getting the hang of this now. You will burn yourself (friction) and irritate your skin.
  • Continue using a cream that shows no results after 6-8 weeks. I did not notice any difference using SL before 6 weeks so sometimes a month can be too short.
  • Put acids in creased body parts where skin is thin e.g. Armpits, arm crease, between fingers, back of knees. Before peeling baste these areas with a thick layer of vaseline to prevent burns.

How I kept motivated: Pinterest (made a board with girls who had my goal complexion) , following girls who had my goal complexion, visiting SCT many times a day, attention in public, every 2 months visiting the makeup counter (Mac or fenty) to get colour matched, looking at old pics of myself

What didn’t help:
  • LA lotion was okay but it would keep randomly burning me. I would be using it for the week then one day it would burn. Way too unpredictable for me so I stopped . Even tried lowering the concentration from 15% to 12% and this still was an issue.
  • Extreme Glow . Apparently this has steroids but I find this a bit hard to believe because I used it for 4 months straight and barely had any lightening. However I did get a stretch mark near my armpit. I wish I’d stopped after 1 month because I could’ve been at my goal wayyyy earlier (like in time for June like I had originally planned) but I was trying to keep hope.
  • Occlusion has burnt me twice so I would never do it again. Oddly it only burnt me when I used LA lotion (see above) not when I occluded with a peel.
  • Fungicide (dark knuckle remover. It makes ur knuckles peel off while wet but when they dry it’s like nothing happened and tbh I feel like it made my knuckles a bit darker. I never mentioned it on my thread because I only used it three times and it did nothing

Key products: Sea salt baths, KIT, Skinlight, CL oil
Hey girl congratulations on your journey I’m so proud of you😍😍🤌🏼
I wanted to ask I got Skinlight but I can’t see hQ on the ingredients list, it’s just alpha arbutine , alpha hydroxy acid, and carotene. Please help 🙏🙏

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey girl congratulations on your journey I’m so proud of you😍😍🤌🏼
I wanted to ask I got Skinlight but I can’t see hQ on the ingredients list, it’s just alpha arbutine , alpha hydroxy acid, and carotene. Please help 🙏🙏
Send a picture of the ingredients so I can verify but if it doesn’t have HQ it’s not the right one🥺

·
Registered
82 Posts
Send a picture of the ingredients so I can verify but if it doesn’t have HQ it’s not the right one🥺
I can’t find my plastic babe but I found pictures on the net, the cream is white and the picture looks exactly like mine.

it’s all the ingredients attached and the ones that you can’t see are the the ones I listed above 😩😩

I’m hoping it’s a new one coz the lady I buy from has never disappointed me when it comes to selling fakes
Paint Liquid Fluid Material property Household supply

Ingredient Cuisine Fluid Paint Drink

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can’t find my plastic babe but I found pictures on the net, the cream is white and the picture looks exactly like mine.

it’s all the ingredients attached and the ones that you can’t see are the the ones I listed above 😩😩

I’m hoping it’s a new one coz the lady I buy from has never disappointed me when it comes to selling fakes View attachment 67369
View attachment 67368
I found the paper😂.
Font Circle Cuisine Paper Paper product

·
Registered
427 Posts
Abbreviations for my newbies (as I wish I had this when I was new): SL= Skinlight, RA= Retin A, KS= Kojie San, LA= Lactic Acid, KIT= Korean Italian Towel, CL = Carolight, GS= Glow-skin, HQ= Hydroquinone, LS= light skinned SAP= Sun Avoidance/Protection BSS= Beauty Supply store

NB:
I started at Gabrielle Union (her original shade not in 2021) and I was 410/420 in fenty and an NC50 in Mac. If you want to read my entire journey here is my thread: Skinlight- How long should I give it?

How long did it take?

What’s my regimen?

MORNING

Face-
Kojie San (5 mins)
vitamin C serum
sunscreen SPF 50,

Body-
Kojie San (5 mins)

NIGHT

Body-
LA lotion 15% / Retin A 0.1 (3 x a week) DISCLAIMER I used La lotion for the first 5 months then it would randomly burn me so I switched to RA, also I mix a squirt of RA in palm of hand with Skinlight before rubbing on body

Face:
Kojie San (5 mins)
Retin A 0.1 (3x a week)
Rosehip oil
Moisturiser

Once a week I do an La peel (50%) I skin build for 2 days following the peel with whipped Shea butter and olive oil or Jergens if I cba. Then I do a sea salt bath once a week and use my KIT.

Where did I buy my products: eBay or the official website, amazon (if it’s a natural product like Vit C serum etc.) or AllDayChemist (RA) If you live in the UK don’t bother with any BSS as HQ is banned here so they will sell you a HQ free product and it won’t be anywhere near as effective
What do you use on your face and body during your HQ break?
Do you ever use LA peels on your face?

·
Registered
130 Posts

NB:

How long did it take?

What’s my regimen?

MORNING

Face-
Kojie San (5 mins)
vitamin C serum
sunscreen SPF 50,

Body-
Kojie San (5 mins)

NIGHT

Body-

Face:
Kojie San (5 mins)
Retin A 0.1 (3x a week)
Rosehip oil
Moisturiser

Thank you for this!
Where did you buy your skinlight, CW oil and neoplus gel from please x

1 - 20 of 45 Posts