Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I ran out of moist. so I went out to wal-mart just to get me buy for the weekend. Well, I decided to go with Loreal Future E, I didn't reconize most of the ingredients other than the sunscreen ingredients, water, and glycerine. I got it home and looked up the ingredients and guess what.....the vitamine e is almost nearly at the bottom of the ingredient list. What a waste of money. They talk the vitamine e up, and then they put about a drop in the whole bottle. I should have been on my toes!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mark that one down as a lesson learned. You have to become an ingredient reader. It is the only way to evaluate a product before buying. I would strongly suggest to buy an ingredients dictionary such as "drop-dead gorgeous" by Kim Errickson or Ruth Winter's " A consumer's dictionary of cosmetic ingredients".

90% of all skin care is just pure marketing with mostly the same synthetic ingredients. I was watching TV last night and while channel surfing I saw a sales pitch on QVC for a popular shampoo/skin care line. They talked up a great story about their ingredients originating from a Central American rainforest. Suppose ably these ingredients have been used for over 500 years by the indigenous people.

Since I love all things natural, I was intrigued to do more research. Looking on their webpage I found the ingredients for one of their shampoos: (of course I was disappointed to find all the regular synthetic ingredients in these products)

AQUA (WATER), MAGNESIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, ELAEIS OLEIFERA (PALM) OIL, CITRUS AURANTIFOLIA (LIME) PEEL EXTRACT, CITRUS NOBILIS (MANDARIN ORANGE) FRUIT EXTRACT, CHONDRUS CRISPUS (CARRAGEENAN) EXTRACT, CARICA PAPAYA (PAPAYA) EXTRACT, BRASSICA OLERACEA ITALICA (BROCCOLI) SEED OIL, PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL, SESAMUM INDICUM (SESAME) SEED OIL, BUXUS CHINENSIS (SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL), MACADAMIA TERNIFOLIA SEED OIL, ORBIGNYA OLEIFERA SEED OIL, PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO) OIL, HEDERA HELIX (IVY) EXTRACT, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, PEG-2 DIMEADOWFOAMAMIDOETHYLMONIUM METHOSULFATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, DISODIUM LAURETH SULFOSUCCINATE, COCO-GLUCOSIDE, DICAPRYLYL ETHER, LAURYL ALCOHOL, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, LAURYL GLUCOSIDE, LIMONENE, PEG-55 PROPYLENE GLYCOL OLEATE, LAURETH-4, GLYCERYL OLEATE, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, HYDROXYCITRONELLAL, LINALOOL, HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE CARBOXALDEHYDE, MAGNESIUM NITRATE, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, POLYSORBATE 80, PPG-26-BUTETH-26, RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ALLANTOIN, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, BIOFLAVONOIDS, CI 19140 (YELLOW 5), CI 17200 (RED 33), PARFUM (FRAGRANCE)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am an esthetician and i have an ingredient dict.......believe me I am ingredient savy, but I can't remember them all....thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
that is why i choose cosmeceuticals instead of normal cosmetics. They have the right level of ingredients. The only drawback is that it would be preferably recommended by a doctor as the ingredients are designed for different skins. There are some really decent rages such as TDF, Laroche posay that work really well

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
that is why i choose cosmeceuticals instead of normal cosmetics. They have the right level of ingredients. The only drawback is that it would be preferably recommended by a doctor as the ingredients are designed for different skins. There are some really decent rages such as TDF, Laroche posay that work really well
Hi Larry!

I usually stick with European lines like La Roche-Posay and Avene myself, since they offer more active ingredients than the standard USA propylene glycol/glycerine/mineral oil sludge of ingredients. An exception is Olay Regenerist, which has some of the active ingredients of some of the higher end lines. It's getting better than old Oil of Olay!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
When you make a cake there is a certain way that you add the ingredients in proper succession to ensure the cake will turn out like a cake instead of a board. It is unlikely if you dumped all the ingredients in a bowl mixed them up dumped them in a pan and baked you'd get the same results. So I look at the list of ingredients in cosmetics and I know the "dirty dozen" you should look for but having tried many products I've come to the conclusion that it depends how the cosmetic will react on your own skin. I also think it is the way the product is made even if it has good ingredients.

I've recommended products to friends and some were pleased, some not. A cosmetician who has beautiful skin let me in on her secret product --which did nothing for me.

I do use some Olay products (was there an Oil of Olay?) but recently bought two of their new products --Definity moisturizer -- I tossed it. I also bought the Regenerist 14 day skin intervention which states "While it won't give you the same results as a medical procedure the concentrated formula ... (blah,blah) Experience a skin turn-around in just 2 weeks ... " Well the product for the price has some really good ingredients in it such as, vit. B3, amino petides. The first day I experienced some puffiness in my face -- which probably was a reaction. I followed the 14 day regime and there is no difference in my skin. Someone else may try it and get great results. I once tried a $200 eye cream which made my eyes red; having just panned Olay products I will say Olay regenerist eye cream works for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best active ingredients to look for in skin products:

Q10, Retinol, matrixyl and argireline, Alpha Lipoic Aci, L-ascorbic acid, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate / Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oat Beta 1-3, 1-4 Glucan, Centella asiatica, Ginkgo Bilob, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Pomegranate, Ferulic acid, C+E+Ferulic, Soy Isoflavones, Wild Yam diosgenin, Green Tea and EGCG, Gynostemma, Pine bark Proanthocyanidins, peptides, stem cell, Retinol 1%
\t

Those works great!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Best active ingredients to look for in skin products:

Q10, Retinol, matrixyl and argireline, Alpha Lipoic Aci, L-ascorbic acid, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate / Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oat Beta 1-3, 1-4 Glucan, Centella asiatica, Ginkgo Bilob, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Pomegranate, Ferulic acid, C+E+Ferulic, Soy Isoflavones, Wild Yam diosgenin, Green Tea and EGCG, Gynostemma, Pine bark Proanthocyanidins, peptides, stem cell, Retinol 1%
\t

Those works great!
This thread is over two years old Skincareaddict. Why not start a new one, if you are interested in the topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts