Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you are caucasian. I am just hoping that the success a lot of you have had with the Retin-A/HQ 4% combo will work as well for me. I'm a little worried I've got my hopes up so high now.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Goatlady is one of our delightful caucasian members & she knows EVERYTHING about TCA peels. She's used them to great effect & helped guide me through their use. Sandia1 is also caucasian! You'll find most of her posts over in anti-aging. Mony is another caucasian too & she tends to hop all over the site

I'm sure that there are more, but I can't recall. They'll surely spot this thread & show up soon.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was just wondering how many of you are caucasian. I am just hoping that the success a lot of you have had with the Retin-A/HQ 4% combo will work as well for me. I'm a little worried I've got my hopes up so high now.
What are you trying to accomplish with the RA/HQ? They will work very well to reverse sun damage and lighten and sun spots/freckles/melasma.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Yep the Goat is white see look at the avatar
I was too impatient to wait for RA and HQ to work that is why I did the TCA. As a matter of fact I am peeling again from another spot treatment on my forehead and that ONE big stubborn spot on my cheek. My husband thinks I got it this time! If not it should be faded enough the RA or TAZ will get it. Tried the OTC HQ products and got really impatient really quick. I suppose it was not strong enough.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

Ondine: Yes, hopefully a few more will come out of the woodwork

Vananners: My body is ivory white but my face is much darker from years of sun abuse in my youth, it is also very uneven and with darker spots on my jawline/upper neck. Basically, a mess! I want it to be the same colour as my body, or even fairer. I love the look of pale skin so really want to be as pale as possible.

Goatlady: I'm too scared to try a TCA peel, and I have used OTC HQ2% for about a year before with no results at all, and HQ4% for a few months with no results, but I'm hoping that by mixing it with RA it will do the trick! I am so hopeful, I'll be absolutely devastated if it doesn't work.

Do you guys think it will work as well on my face as Ondine's and everyone else's? I'd hate to think I'd have to go the mono route to get the colour I want.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Are you sure you were not getting results with the 4%?? Do you have a photo of yourself before you started the HQ from say 6 months ago you can compare to a photo now? With similar lighting and closeup of your face? Try a comparison of the photos you may see the difference there. You could be a shade lighter and not be able to see it with a comparison. I do before photos before I start a project so I can see the difference ( of course if there is one ) so far I am using RA and TAZ. I can see more of difference it seems to me with the TAZ. It is STRONG stuff at .01% and a gel instead of cream. I am still early in to the treatment so hard to say, but overall I am very pleased with what I have accomplished. Ondine is the lighting guru, she will be able to help. TCA is scary was for me, but in desperation I tried it. Started with a low % and went up. Best way to do it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure you were not getting results with the 4%?? Do you have a photo of yourself before you started the HQ from say 6 months ago you can compare to a photo now? With similar lighting and closeup of your face? Try a comparison of the photos you may see the difference there. You could be a shade lighter and not be able to see it with a comparison. I do before photos before I start a project so I can see the difference ( of course if there is one ) so far I am using RA and TAZ. I can see more of difference it seems to me with the TAZ. It is STRONG stuff at .01% and a gel instead of cream. I am still early in to the treatment so hard to say, but overall I am very pleased with what I have accomplished. Ondine is the lighting guru, she will be able to help. TCA is scary was for me, but in desperation I tried it. Started with a low % and went up. Best way to do it.
Thanks Goatlady,

It was several years ago that I tried the HQ4%, and didn't take any photos. Maybe I was slightly lighter but nothing too noticeable. Looking back, I was probably using a mild cleanser and only applying once a day, and probably not for long enough of a period either, maybe it was only two months. Also I don't think I was exfoliating at all. Hopefully with the power of RA, applying twice a day, and exfoliating, it will do the trick.

The peel appeals to me but I'm worried about scarring. And downtime. Would I have to take time off work? Oh and post-inflamatory hyperpigmentation making my colour worse!

I've just been putting up with my skincolour for the last few years and covering with makeup and pale powder, which I am so tired of doing, so finally decided to do something about it again. So I've been using Meladerm for three months now with results but no where near what I want. Maybe 1-2 shades lighter, but still very uneven.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ondine had another picture posted of herself not so long ago and you could clearly see the change in her skin. I am not sure but I think she has been at this for 8 months??? I am sure she will come back soon and tell you her recipe for success. I want to hear it again myself as I have this discoloration on my neck that I am not sure TCA or TAZ will get. But I know I need to be PATIENT! Something I am not good at. Depends on the % of the TCA peel if you need down time, but you may not need something like that the HQ may work but of course it all takes time. I used the TCA for removing freckles and brown spots. It took more than one application. Go back and look at some older photos of yourself I bet you see a difference!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I should take a photo of myself with no makeup on. The ones I do have of myself I always have makeup and pale powder on. Anyway, I am hopeful. I have ordered RA 0.05% and HQ 4% from ADC, and Likas papaya soap too. I can't wait to start!! I will ask you later about peels if I need to. I know you are the expert

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know I should take a photo of myself with no makeup on. The ones I do have of myself I always have makeup and pale powder on. Anyway, I am hopeful. I have ordered RA 0.05% and HQ 4% from ADC, and Likas papaya soap too. I can't wait to start!! I will ask you later about peels if I need to. I know you are the expert
Make sure you take it in good natural lighting too so the photos isn't to bright or too dark due to artificial lighting.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
I am caucasian karenannev, I have no experience with the RA and HQ. (sorry) I use RA .1% and I am a TCA user as well. I can say what has worked for me in regards to reducing hyperpigmentation is microderms and definately the TCA peels. I also have used kojic acid and had great results as well. I use the RA for every other night for routine maintenance and for the anti aging benefits. I can tell you that .1% RA is VERY strong and I am switching back to .04% to only a couple nights a week. As far as the peels go, I do my peels in the fall/winter months only. So my TCA time is right around the corner-

Best of luck to you, and I hope you like the results with the RA and HQ. If you don't get the results you are looking for, maybe try a TCA peel. Also, you might want to even get a good micro fiber cloth for exfoliating. This is the one that I am using.

Microfiber Cleansing ClothÂ*-Â*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I use that same cloth from the same lady ( Nanci ) and it is FANTASTIC love it

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am caucasian karenannev, I have no experience with the RA and HQ. (sorry) I use RA .1% and I am a TCA user as well. I can say what has worked for me in regards to reducing hyperpigmentation is microderms and definately the TCA peels. I also have used kojic acid and had great results as well. I use the RA for every other night for routine maintenance and for the anti aging benefits. I can tell you that .1% RA is VERY strong and I am switching back to .04% to only a couple nights a week. As far as the peels go, I do my peels in the fall/winter months only. So my TCA time is right around the corner-

Best of luck to you, and I hope you like the results with the RA and HQ. If you don't get the results you are looking for, maybe try a TCA peel. Also, you might want to even get a good micro fiber cloth for exfoliating. This is the one that I am using.

Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger
Thanks Gymrat,

I will see how I go, and will definitely consider a peel if I need one. And thanks for the link for the microfibre cloth. I'll get myself one of those too!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hi karenannev I am a very fair skinned Caucasian and I concur with gymrat, I use Retin A and TCA peels and it works very well for me. I use the microfibre cloth also, they are wonderful.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi karenannev I am a very fair skinned Caucasian and I concur with gymrat, I use Retin A and TCA peels and it works very well for me. I use the microfibre cloth also, they are wonderful.
Thanks kitskid, I'll have to work the courage up. I'll see how I go with the RA/HQ mix first. Is what you're doing just getting rid of damage, or making you pale? I really want to be as pale as possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts