Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much SPF is considered enough?

I'm really pale but I don't really burn or even tan easily.

I am wearing SPF 30 sunscreen, I have SPF 20 in my foundation and SPF 35 in my concealer. I have no doubt this is enough for me, I just wondered what the minimum if you like would be.

And do the SPFs that are in make up actually work or is it just crap that they use as a selling point?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
In addition to Peri's post, no I don't think the spf in foundation is enough to protect you if you are going to be outside. Most ppl don't apply enough foundation to adequately protect against the sun. And the type of sunscreen used is questionable - is it going to be stable in the sun?

If you are wearing spf 30 SS that should be good, but what are the ingredients? Some SS ingredients decompose rapidly in the sun's rays and leave you hanging, or worse, contribute to free radical damage!

So I always use a separate high spf/high ppd SS under my makeup.
Bioderma Photomax Fluide 50+ is my current fave. It should be available to you lucky Brits!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the sunscreen I've been using. The link has a full list of ingredients, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. It would be a huge help if you could take a look and give me some advice.

I do wear my sunscreen under my make up already because I never really trusted the SPF in my foundation etc.

I've worn it all through the winter but now it's getting a bit warmer and sunnier I'm starting to get on the para.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
This is the sunscreen I've been using. The link has a full list of ingredients, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. It would be a huge help if you could take a look and give me some advice.

I do wear my sunscreen under my make up already because I never really trusted the SPF in my foundation etc.

I've worn it all through the winter but now it's getting a bit warmer and sunnier I'm starting to get on the para.
You could do MUCH better than that sunscreen. It does not appears to be photo-stable.
Might be a good moisturizer but that aint helping fight the uv rays.
Garnier Ambre Solaire which should be sold in your country, is a good option.
As is La Roche Posay

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Personally I use an SPF 50 daily on my face and neck in addition to my daycream which has an spf 15. If I used a 30, and I am dark, I would burn. I live in Florida which is one reason BUT if you are using retin-a or anything that is a HUGE consideration. Also you need to make sure it is broad spectrum. Fawnie knows the right ingredients, I mix some zinc with all my sunblocks so when I put it on I put a bit of zinc in with it which fortifies it. You can get Zinc and Ambre Solaire at Boots.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The Ambre Solaire UV sensitive SPF 50+/PPD22 has both mexoryl SX and XL
I used it before I switched to the Bioderma Photomax

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
What the Baby said.

Priori I have heard of but you can do better than that product IMO. You want to keep that porcelain complexion spotless!! You will be glad you did!

Dukes, what's a "para" ???

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
I am guessing but I think para=paranoia you know fawnie you are down with the lingo!!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it does mean paranoid lol. I'm paranoid that it isn't good enough :/

I never really liked it anyway, it's a bit greasy tbh. I use their face perfection gel though and I love it.

I'm off to town today so I'm going to see about getting some of the Ambre Solair one. I've never heard of Bioderma or whatever so I doubt they'll have it in Boots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts