Skin Care Talk banner

"How to Get Rid of Farmer's Tan"

35K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  eyecandi 
#1 ·
How to Get Rid of Farmers Tan - howtogetridofstuff.com

Quote: Originally Posted by

How to Get Rid of Farmers Tan

Posted By admin On November 25, 2008 @ 9:52 pm In Beauty, Household | No Comments

If you can’t give up farming because you are making a living out of it, you should at least give up one thing that you get from it — a farmer’s tan.

A farmer’s tan is perhaps the type of tan line you wouldn’t want to have, especially during summer. It doesn’t show the area on your skin covered by your bikini or your trunks especially after going to the beach. A farmer’s tan is a type of tan line covering only neck and arms. When you take of your shirt, the upper part of your arm, including your whole torso and chest, are white or unaffected. Your shoulders appear immaculately white while the rest of your arms are deeply tanned. You get a farmer’s tan if you spend too much time under the sun with an A-shirt or a muscle shirt on. As its name implies, farmers are most likely to get this condition.

Looking sun-kissed is gorgeous but looking like you have been working too much in your backyard is not good at all. You need to get rid of your farmer’s tan as soon as possible. You can’t remove your farmer’s tan overnight but you can do something. Here are a few tips.

Goodbye to the Marks of Farming

* Speed up the process of removing a farmer’s tan by exfoliating regularly. Soak in a hot tub or use a body scrub. Exfoliating is important in getting rid of a farmer’s tan because you are gradually removing your dead cells. With this, the original skin tone comes out of your flesh earlier than you thought it will. Exfoliating is not difficult at do. You just need patience in scrubbing your body while taking a bath. A new loofah [1] will be most effective, as it is still crunchy and rough. Your dead, tanned skin cells will surely have fun sliding from your skin down to your tub’s sink.

* You can re-assign your farming activities to someone else if that’s possible. No matter how much you exfoliate everyday and no matter how many times you apply a whitening cream [2] on your skin, you won’t see any changes until you finally decide to stop exposing your body under the sun. Prevent more damage by staying indoors especially during the hottest hours. If you desperately need to get your work done in your garden or in the farm, then you should at least bring an umbrella or wear sun screen [3] while working.

* You also need to get rid of blotchiness. The best way to combat this problem is to dampen your skin and massage it in a circular direction with dry baking soda (For other uses of baking soda, see 75 extraordinary uses for baking soda [4]). You can trust this method because aside from being safe and effective, it is also easy to do especially at home.

* Soaking is another effective way of getting rid of a farmer’s tan. Soak in the tub for long hours. Soaking helps soften the skin, making the dead cells easier to remove. In fact, soaking itself is an effective and effortless form of exfoliating.

* Why don’t you try using a self-tanner [5]? If you want to try this, remember to use it only on the untanned area. If you use this on the already-tanned part of your body, you will only make the tanned area darker.

* You can reduce your farmer’s tan by using lotions with alpha hydroxy [6] or AHA. Products with hydrogen peroxide [7] should also be used. You can use this by applying a small amount in a swab of cotton and run it through the tanned areas, or simply apply it directly on your skin. Don’t use hydrogen peroxide or lotions with AHA on sensitive areas since these chemicals are strong.

See less See more
#2 ·
That photo reminds me of my husband!!! He works outdoors and I have to tell him every day to put on his sunscreen, but do you think he listens? One annoying thing though, during winter his arms go from darkest brown back to almost white! Not fair!!! I'm still trying to get rid of the permatan from the smallest bit of incidental sun from a couple of years ago! And I care and he doesn't! So annoying!!

#4 ·
Mine too! I've been hint hint nudge nudging... I even emailed him the page! He doesn't care either.

When I started chipping away at mine, he asked why I was doing it and then pushed up his sleeves/shirt saying 'look at me!..i'm different colors here and here and here...'

As if that would change my mind?!! lol! If anything, it was motivation to order more glycolic & lighteners!

We have an event to go to in Dec. and he can hide under clothes. I wanted my face to least sort of match my chest enough for a v-neck. I can cover my arms if they're not there yet.

#5 ·
I know what you mean about the V-neck! I have NEVER been able to wear anything with my decolletage showing, because of the stark difference! Not a good look to look like you've either got a very dirty face, you've used too much bronzer, or you've got much too dark makeup on! I can't wait until I match up
. We'll both get there for sure!!

#6 ·
Exactly! Even my wedding pic has that look! arrghhh! I wish I'd thought about this before but oh well!

Better late than never!

#9 ·
That is one of the most extreme farmer's tans I've ever seen! If you isolate his arms, you'd sweat that was a black guy! With skin as white as his (the rest of him is milk) it is a wonder he darkened & didn't burn to a crisp. My husband is white like that & if he goes out in the sun, he turns bright red, burns & peels. He needs a thick coating of sunblock B4 he can risk any sun exposure.

#23 ·
I think daily hot baths and exfoliating gloves really helps. Since i've tanned i've noticed that the dead skin coming off in my bath water is a copper red colour like my skin.

But those farmers tans look terrible except the girl with the patterns on her back (i love that pic).

#43 ·
I'm glad you're enjoying it!
It's so weird ...this is something that's affected my skin for most of my life(my parents always kept us on outings like beach, lake, hiking, parks, etc) but most of the time I never thought about it.

When I did focus on my skin in the past, it was usually to try to tan the differences in color away.

crazy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.