Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the girls on the Nigerian thread for sharing insight on camwood powder, from reading about it, it lead me to this.... This video explains how liquid Dudu Osun is made.....very cool :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Gymmie great thread. I'm glad cos I've been thinking of trying black soap, locally made to my specification. My only worry is the color I think it'd give off. I haven't used it before so does it run black in the tub?

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gymmie great thread. I'm glad cos I've been thinking of trying black soap, locally made to my specification. My only worry is the color I think it'd give off. I haven't used it before so does it run black in the tub?
Hi Pink!! I thought this looked like something we could whip up.......... I have used Black soap before and yes it did turn things black, but washed down the drain rather easy. What led me to this was reading about Camwood have you ever used it before?? Sounds interesting enough!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi Pink!! I thought this looked like something we could whip up.......... I have used Black soap before and yes it did turn things black, but washed down the drain rather easy. What led me to this was reading about Camwood have you ever used it before?? Sounds interesting enough!!
Ugh! I hate making a mess. I'm one of those that don't like to touch something beautiful for fear of ruining it, even knowing it could be fixed :D That said, I'll sure make inquiries about it here cos that's the main source. I see people mixing these black soaps all day long in the markets here. I've used it once, at my Gran's ages ago. I can't remember my feelings about it TBTH. I'm all about soaps for now so I DO need to really look into it ASAP.

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh! I hate making a mess. I'm one of those that don't like to touch something beautiful for fear of ruining it, even knowing it could be fixed :D That said, I'll sure make inquiries about it here cos that's the main source. I see people mixing these black soaps all day long in the markets here. I've used it once, at my Gran's ages ago. I can't remember my feelings about it TBTH. I'm all about soaps for now so I DO need to really look into it ASAP.
That would be cool to see. Snap me a picture next time :thumbsup: Actually, go in and ask if you can video them :D Ok, maybe that would be pushing it too far ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Gymmie a lot of these "street folks" (for lack of any better names) don't want their pics taken. When we first got here we used to drive far into the outskirts of the city, exploring cultures. They never let us take their pics. If you catch them unawares they switch to their local dialect & talk very fast to one another in anger. Knowing how volatile things could get we quit altogether. I think it's a case of being wary of something they don't understand. I'll ask very nicely. Who knows? Three years might have brought some changes. Here's something I found: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-make-moisturizing-liquid-african-black-soap

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gymmie a lot of these "street folks" (for lack of any better names) don't want their pics taken. When we first got here we used to drive far into the outskirts of the city, exploring cultures. They never let us take their pics. If you catch them unawares they switch to their local dialect & talk very fast to one another in anger. Knowing how volatile things could get we quit altogether. I think it's a case of being wary of something they don't understand. I'll ask very nicely. Who knows? Three years might have brought some changes. Here's something I found: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-make-moisturizing-liquid-african-black-soap
Wow, thanks for this ^^ all so interesting to me. Yes, I bet they don't like pictures. Probably more of the unknown. Not knowing who you are or what your intentions are. Totally understandable.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
gymrat Gymmie you might wanna get in here! I finally made my soap. I got the things I used from the locals that make them. I had so many questions, but unfortunately they don't speak English and I don't speak their language. Talk about being frustrated! Well, the person who took me to them explained what I needed to make the soap successfully. Here are some pictures. Oh no! I can't embed pictures on this device! Lemme use my tried and trusted phone. Dang iOS men!

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gymrat Gymmie you might wanna get in here! I finally made my soap. I got the things I used from the locals that make them. I had so many questions, but unfortunately they don't speak English and I don't speak their language. Talk about being frustrated! Well, the person who took me to them explained what I needed to make the soap successfully. Here are some pictures. Oh no! I can't embed pictures on this device! Lemme use my tried and trusted phone. Dang iOS men!
GYMMIE HERE!! I'm so excited, and Pink you know I want details!! :five:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That's one of three of the raw materials. I still don't know the proper name but working on it as it will help me make better soaps in the future.
I'm not able to embed pictures of the original state of the yellow & pink solutions. They came in solid forms, kinda like rocks. I was instructed to drop into measured water & leave to dissolve. The above solution is what I got afterwards. The manure-like looking thing is then mixed w/ both solutions until I got the consistency I wanted. Normally, these soaps are made soft & very malleable, but I wanted like a shower gel or cream. I mixed in 75cl of honey & abt two cups lemon juice. At the end of the exercise I got exactly 4.5 litres of shower gel.

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's one of three of the raw materials. I still don't know the proper name but working on it as it will help me make better soaps in the future.
I'm not able to embed pictures of the original state of the yellow & pink solutions. They came in solid forms, kinda like rocks. I was instructed to drop into measured water & leave to dissolve. The above solution is what I got afterwards. The manure-like looking thing is then mixed w/ both solutions until I got the consistency I wanted. Normally, these soaps are made soft & very malleable, but I wanted like a shower gel or cream. I mixed in 75cl of honey & abt two cups lemon juice. At the end of the exercise I got exactly 4.5 litres of shower gel.
pink701 so what is the pink and yellow solution? Another type of soap?? Does the final product suds up like a shower gel?? How does it smell??? Very cool.........I need to get crafty again :chef:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
pink701 so what is the pink and yellow solution? Another type of soap?? Does the final product suds up like a shower gel?? How does it smell??? Very cool.........I need to get crafty again :chef:
No Gyms. The pink & yellow solutions are part of the ingredients for the black soap. They have to be mixed w/ the manurish dark thingy. Now you see why I need to find out their proper names. I don't know why I keep thinking those rocks are caustic soda. I've trried to research it but nothing came up. Girlllll!!!!!!!! The sud level is crazy! It normally smells awful but mine smells real good cos of all that honey.

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Gyms. The pink & yellow solutions are part of the ingredients for the black soap. They have to be mixed w/ the manurish dark thingy. Now you see why I need to find out their proper names. I don't know why I keep thinking those rocks are caustic soda. I've trried to research it but nothing came up. Girlllll!!!!!!!! The sud level is crazy! It normally smells awful but mine smells real good cos of all that honey.
LOL I think the manurish is palm bunch or cocoa pod ash isn't it?? I believe there is shea butter involved in that as well. Which to me doesn't smell the best but is very good for your skin. Awwhh I love me a good sudsing soap, nothing better than that :bath:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Oh Gymmie you're so right! It IS palm bunch! I remember one of those women in the village burning up some when I was little. When I asked her what it was for she told me it was to make soap. My little mind just got more confused cos it looked nothing like the soaps i knew. Men! I can't wait to talk to my Gran about this soap thing. If this one I made is this good, then w/ her input i'm sure to get better.

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh Gymmie you're so right! It IS palm bunch! I remember one of those women in the village burning up some when I was little. When I asked her what it was for she told me it was to make soap. My little mind just got more confused cos it looked nothing like the soaps i knew. Men! I can't wait to talk to my Gran about this soap thing. If this one I made is this good, then w/ her input i'm sure to get better.
Yep you are right, I believe they do burn them. Plantains too right?? Oh Pink, what I would give to be able to talk to my Gran and ask her all the things I didn't while she was alive. My Gran was such a big part of my life, I took her knowledge for granted, never thinking twice about asking her all the tricks to the things she used to make for me. If your Gran has a recipe book, I recommend you copy as many recipes as you can from her. Ask her all the questions you need too and keep a journal on things she shares with you. You will be SO glad you did someday when you have that to look back on. :thumbsup: Do share if your Gran shares a black soap recipe :flowers:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yep you are right, I believe they do burn them. Plantains too right?? Oh Pink, what I would give to be able to talk to my Gran and ask her all the things I didn't while she was alive. My Gran was such a big part of my life, I took her knowledge for granted, never thinking twice about asking her all the tricks to the things she used to make for me. If your Gran has a recipe book, I recommend you copy as many recipes as you can from her. Ask her all the questions you need too and keep a journal on things she shares with you. You will be SO glad you did someday when you have that to look back on. :thumbsup: Do share if your Gran shares a black soap recipe :flowers:
Awww... don't get me mushy now. Your Gran musta been awesome! I know she doesn't have s recipe book, but imma go along w/ mine & write everything down. It just might be a while before I see her again though. & I'm not sure what I can pick up over the phone. I sure will keep you posted. And oh, they DO burn them for sure. I remember that very well now.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
pink701 hey darlin did u ever find out the names of the raw materials used to make this soap? Thanks for directing me to this thread gymmie gymrat

·
Administrator
33,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pink701 hey darlin did u ever find out the names of the raw materials used to make this soap? Thanks for directing me to this thread gymmie gymrat
Your welcome Saucey not sure how much you can gather but I do know Pink will be of some help. She knows a lot about this soap making stuff. Hang tight I am sure she will chime in when she logs in :thumbsup: saucey

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm also curious about making my own DIY black soap, @gymrat do you think adding lightening serums to the DIY black soap will help in lightening or nah its just a waste of serums

1 - 20 of 39 Posts