Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how to make my face appear overall healthier. I am a 22 year old white male in medical school. Because of school, I usually do not get a good night sleep. My face is very pale except for the dark circles around my eyes. I also have puffiness under my eyes. I've heard that these symptoms around my eyes are due to allergies rather than sleep deprivation but they seem to get exponentially worse when I lack sleep. I have large pores around my nose which collect oil, and subsequently turn into blackheads which I routinely squeeze out (I know I know, this is bad but I can't help it). I have tried those bioree blackhead strips in the past without any luck. Lastly, I've never had clear skin. Since puberty, I've always dealt with a few pimples here and there around my face and currently use a benzoyl peroxide face wash. This doesn't eliminate the pimples but it seems to help. I've tried experimenting with other facial cleansers such as oil of olay sensitive skin non-soap face wash, dove sensitive skin soap bar, all kinds of regular soap. I've even tried a combination of benzoyl peroxide wash with other soaps daily, washing my face once every day (both alternating face washes and using the same one), and once every 2 days but nothing seems to work. As I get older, the pimples seem to get more cystic in nature. I moisturize my face every so often with a non-oil based face cream, but am hesitant because a dermatologist told me a few years back that I shouldn't use cream on my face. She advised me not to because my face is already oily (I have combination skin). I'm at the point of not knowing what to listen to, who to trust, and what to try but I am open to suggestions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anything, I'm most concerned about changing the paleness of my skin and the dark puffy circles around my eyes.

Thanks!

p.s. I'm so fed up with my skin that I'm considering make-up

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Well, welcome!!

What I would say is try using a face wash with salicylic acid as the active ingredient. A good wash will have 2% or higher. Clearasil, Biore, Neutrogena are a few that come to mind. Just read the label and make sure it is the salicylic acid wash. They all carry so many different types.

As far as lotion goes, you are right. Oil free is perfect for acne prone. You can also try using a mask once a week and see if this helps.

If you are getting cystic acne and it is getting worse, try getting in with a derm for extra help. There are so many topicals you can try. I had cystic acne myself, I am clean and clear now, but that is after having to resort to taking Accutane.

Also, make sure you are wearing a good sunscreen everyday. Just be careful choosing one being acne prone. This could be your biggest challenge. I don't think they kept us acne prone people in mind when they made sunscreen-

Maybe even look into taking a multi vitamin and drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Best of luck-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I totally feel for you wuxing! Med school is going to wring the life out of you! Make sure you start with some good habits early on,
-like eating nutritious stuff instead of fast food. Hospital cafeterias have salad bars and balanced meals if you know what to pick.
-plenty of fresh pure water instead of soda and coffee and milkshakes.
-like washing your face twice a day
-like getting some fresh air even if you just poke your head out the fire escape door now & then. Deep breathing fresh air can help relieve stress!

LOL @ makeup but you can't compensate for bad skin with it! We'll try to get you back on track here.
Have you tried Neutrogena Acne Stress Control line? It has BHA/salicylic acid that can help exfoliate the blackheads without overdrying. It's OTC at drug stores and it isn't very expensive.

edit: Haha gymrat! We're on the same wavelength!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
hey dude, the salicylic acid exfoliator liquid 5% from skincarecentral.biz got rid of my blackhead and decongested my pores in 2 to 3 weeks. It has a pH of 1.9 so its really effective. The Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser - the gel kind that looks yellow and comes in pump bottle is the best facial cleanser with salicylic acid b/c its pH is around less than 4, it is necessary to kind a cleanser that has less than a 5.5 pH so that you dont strip your skin of its acid mantle, this may be what happened to you, maybe your acid mantle isnt intact so the bacteria and dead skin cells are accumulated and making it harder for it to be clear. Try a good toner too from Paulaschoice.com and there is this oil-free moiosturizer that helped me from the Loreal line which has a dermo calm complex and salicylic acid in it already - Loreal Pure Zone Step #3 Oil Free Moisturizer 2.5oz - eBay (item 180420290984 end time Nov-14-09 12:56:22 PST).

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Makes me laugh when guys post back and fourth. Notice it goes like this:

hey dude........

Sorry LnL, this was kinda cute.

Same goes for us gals saying sista, girlfriend, or girl!! etc.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
you betcha-

living with all boys, better watch out, some names I call them aren't very nice- and I'm not talking dude

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Oh no lovely nothing in my words when I am angry. And NEVER Mr. I go straight for the WHAT IN THE #$%^ and it goes on from there, depending on what the situation is at the moment. Usually, its the bathrooms around this compound!

To me, I think at every school for punishment, the boys should have to clean the bathrooms. It would teach them a new repect for good aim!! That right there peaves me more than you know!!!
If you can't make it, then sit your butt down-

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
That sounds like bootcamp ratty!
LOL, darn right, I run a tight ship around here!! You know me fawnster, no pain no gain-

Hey, glad you came back to play tonight. Lets talk RCMA, camerareadycosmetic!!! Share, please???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the input! I should have added a little bit more about my lifestyle. I mainly drink water (aside from the occasional beer or three
) and I never eat fast food. I try to eat as healthy as possible. I have tried face washes with salicylic acid before and they seemed to be less effective than those containing benzoyl peroxide. I currently live in Ohio, so the sun is really not an issue (unless youâ€2122re referring to the lack thereof).

I tried applying cream around my eyes today and it seems to have made things worse! The skin around my eyes is red and I'm getting a burning sensation. I want to go to a dermatologist but I feel as though they donâ€2122t really pay attention to me. I know it sounds strange from someone who will be wearing a white coat in a few years but dermatologists are a different breed of docâ€2122s. They seem to be only worried about how many patients they can see in a day, rather than actually listening to their patientâ€2122s concerns. Maybe I have not found the right dermatologist, and no offense to any dermatologists out there, but I seriously feel like a number when I walk into a dermâ€2122s office. I try to convey my problems but it seems as if theyâ€2122re pre-programmed to answer me before I open my mouth. They throw a bunch of free sample creams at me and tell me to try them out. Iâ€2122m so tired of creams, nothing seems to work.

What kind of masks should I try and what benefit would these have? Referring to LightenNLiftâ€2122s suggestion of salicylic acid exfoliator liquid 5%, you say that it has a pH of 1.9, thatâ€2122s insane! Thatâ€2122s around the acidity of gastric juices! I donâ€2122t know if Iâ€2122d feel comfortable putting something like that on my face.

How about a tanning cream for my skin color? Would a cream that imparts an artificial tan maybe unify everything while making it seem a little darker?

I donâ€2122t think going to a tanning salon would be a preferred option. Iâ€2122ve heard those will put you on the fast track to melanoma. Who knows, maybe Iâ€2122ll try to find a dermatologist around here who is more empathetic to my needs. Again, thanks everyone for the comments!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Lol, well we love a beer or two and even sometimes 3 depending on how crazy these crazys have been around here-so
cheers.

I have to agree with you on derms being a different kind of breed. I think they are in a league of their own. Finding the right one, is money!! So do keep searching.

Salicylic acid is by far a better choice than benzoyl peroxide. Especially, in terms of long time effect. BP will cause more damage in the end, might work for now, but wait until you try to stop using it. Do some research on BP, I think you will be surprised.

As far as LnL exfoliator liquid.........then I guess a TCA peel of 18% would be out of the question for you-
hey it is all in good fun. We won't damage you for life or anything, we promise.

For a mask, try any type of clay based mask. They work great for acne prone skin.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
that pH doesnt burn ur skin off, its effective for it to work and I have sensitive skin too so you can trust me. It goes deep within your pores to work and dissolve the blackheads. And you are right about the dermatologists, there are the same ones here in nyc. They blindly prescribe a handful of acne prescriptions without hearing the patients concerns and if you do succeed in getting their attention then its usually a quick 5 second talk and then back to the prescribing pad and "sticking with the product even if it gets worse or burns off your skin". I seriously think they should have an ettiquette/moral values class before getting that medical degree.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may have worded my concerns about the exfoliator a little harshly. I am desperate to the point of trying anything so I'll definitely keep all suggestions in mind. I do not doubt the reliability of this product, but I am skeptical by nature of skin products as nothing has seemed to work for me. Plus, I'm sure you can understand my concern about the very low pH
. It's funny how I'm hesitant to use a product with low pH on my face yet every day I use a face wash that creates free radicals. Cancer anyone? I will try some salicylic based products and masks, and get back to you guys with some results. Thanks again for all the help. Unfortunately LNL, most med students do take a medical ethics class. The very first tenet of medical ethics is beneficence: a practitioner should act in the best interest of his/her PATIENT. I believe some mistake that last noun for their wallet.

PS, I've heard laying sliced potatoes/cucumbers underneath the eyes will alleviate puffiness and darkness. Tea bags were also mentioned to help. Can anyone verify this? I've tried probably all 3 without any remarkable results, although I did notice with the potato that my eyes seemed a little better. Maybe it was just wishful thinking

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Yes potato slices help greatly with puffiness, cucumbers help somewhat very temporary with the dark circles on really light skinned people. The tannic acid in the tea bags help constrict the blood vessels that cause the puffiness also.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts