Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove age spots/sun spots from the face? I have quite a lot on my cheeks and nose and desperately trying to fade them but I don't want to seek laser help. Although, I am using a sunblock of spf 30, I still noticed the appearance of age spots of my face. I thought by using sunblock, one don't get them!

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Pumi if you go to my pictures and compare them you will see my skin is lighter and brighter in the updated photo. You can clearly see my spots on my face in the first photo and yes I was on a lake when I took the photo. ( with sunsreen however ) What has worked it seems best was glycolic acid and just recently I did a light ( 12.5% ) TCA peel and I am now waiting for some Retin-A to arrive. It all depends on you and your skin and your sensitivity level. I always suggest some go slow and build up. If your skin gets all red, irritated and flaky you will probably quit. What have you tried so far? Are you quite fair skinned, sensitive?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pumi if you go to my pictures and compare them you will see my skin is lighter and brighter in the updated photo. You can clearly see my spots on my face in the first photo and yes I was on a lake when I took the photo. ( with sunsreen however ) What has worked it seems best was glycolic acid and just recently I did a light ( 12.5% ) TCA peel and I am now waiting for some Retin-A to arrive. It all depends on you and your skin and your sensitivity level. I always suggest some go slow and build up. If your skin gets all red, irritated and flaky you will probably quit. What have you tried so far? Are you quite fair skinned, sensitive?
Thanks for your helpful reply dear. I have not tried any peels yet. I have sensitive skin and suffer from facial redness. Which glycolic peel would recommend? I need something which is gentle and works at the same time. I have seen ur pics. Your age spots seem to have faded in the 2nd one.

I have got wheatish colour skin. Sunblock does not stop age spots from appearing unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Pumi I don't have sensitive skin so maybe someone here with sensitive skin will chime in but if I were you I would take it SLOW and EASY. Start with a weaker acid and very gradually work your way up. Perhaps a weak Lactic acid to start with.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pumi I don't have sensitive skin so maybe someone here with sensitive skin will chime in but if I were you I would take it SLOW and EASY. Start with a weaker acid and very gradually work your way up. Perhaps a weak Lactic acid to start with.
I am trying to look for a good lactic acid peel. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I haven't tried the Lactic Peel since I knew it was a weaker peel and my skin was already use to it but m a k e u p a r t i s t dot com has it. Click on their chemical peel link

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't tried the Lactic Peel since I knew it was a weaker peel and my skin was already use to it but m a k e u p a r t i s t dot com has it. Click on their chemical peel link
Ok thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pumi, I don't want to discourage you, but I have used Glycolic acid about 2 years ago and at that time I did not have age spots at all and later that year a age spot suddenly appeared, and I always used sunscreen and it did not prevent of having an age spot, Now I'm afraid using any peel!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know of some creams or lotions to remove age spots effectively?

·
Registered
108 Posts
A regimen of nightly Retin-A use (.4% gel if your skin is sensitive) combined with a Vitamin C toner (distilled water + L-ascorbic acid mixed every day or so) in the morning, and/or Hydroquinone 4% will reduce age spots and overall skin color if you've tanned. Daily use of a high sunblock to prevent future damage is necessary also.

The problem is that this will take approximately 4 weeks before you see results do to the body's method of skin cell exfoliation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A regimen of nightly Retin-A use (.4% gel if your skin is sensitive) combined with a Vitamin C toner (distilled water + L-ascorbic acid mixed every day or so) in the morning, and/or Hydroquinone 4% will reduce age spots and overall skin color if you've tanned. Daily use of a high sunblock to prevent future damage is necessary also.

The problem is that this will take approximately 4 weeks before you see results do to the body's method of skin cell exfoliation.
Great post! Anytime that you use a Retin-A or Hydroquinone or even Glycolic-Acid you really have to be very careful about sun exposure. I am sure that most of us use sunscreen everyday...I just really want to stress the importance of sun protection when using certain products that can make your skin ultra-sensitive to the sun

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove age spots/sun spots from the face? I have quite a lot on my cheeks and nose and desperately trying to fade them but I don't want to seek laser help. Although, I am using a sunblock of spf 30, I still noticed the appearance of age spots of my face. I thought by using sunblock, one don't get them!

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Pumi...I had laser treatments for my spots and the laser did not completely remove them but the Retin A has removed them from my face and now I am working on my hands and arms. I am very fair skinned and they really show up.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
A regimen of nightly Retin-A use (.4% gel if your skin is sensitive) combined with a Vitamin C toner (distilled water + L-ascorbic acid mixed every day or so) in the morning, and/or Hydroquinone 4% will reduce age spots and overall skin color if you've tanned.
Hi Clabbergirl
You mean 0.04% for the Retin-A Micro Gel right? And 0.05% for the regular cream Retin-A....any higher % for treatment of photoageing isn't recommended I think.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks clabbergirl. I don't mind waiting 4 weeks to see results as long as I see them! Does vit c serum help fade age spots? I have been using my vit c serum for around 3 mths now but no difference to my age spots unfortunately.

Fawnie I do use sunscreen spf 30 everyday but I never re-apply during the day. I am using a waterproof sunscreen so thought it is not necessary to re-apply.

I will try the lactic peel Gymrat. can you recommend some good brands? I never had peels before.

Thanks for all ur help everyone. really appreciate.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pumi...I had laser treatments for my spots and the laser did not completely remove them but the Retin A has removed them from my face and now I am working on my hands and arms. I am very fair skinned and they really show up.
I have not yet started on any retinol products yet. I am quite scared coz my skin is very sensitive..RetinA is too strong isnt it? It is only available on prescription I heard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts