Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps

I thought it would be useful if we all shared our experiences of lightening through one topic as a quick reference for anyone who wants to find out what to expect.

I can tell my skin is lightening as i have a blueish undertone is my darker areas and a yellow undertone on the naturally lighter areas. My darker skin turns a little grey blue and then it starts to fade out.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Dead skin always comes out greyish ive found this recently and as i exfoliate, my skin is glowing and shiny.

·
Registered
500 Posts
ninasky good question this is what i wanna know ,im on week 6 hq r.a no results apart from a red very shiny smooth face ,so what will i expect when it kicks in

·
Registered
43 Posts
My skin lightening process seems to be going differently than I'd originally expected. My normal undertones are reddish, now they're yellow. I don't enjoy the yellowing of the skin, hmmmmm only time will tell if they'll to fade to another color. My face has a rosie red/pink undertones, and as I lighten it becomes more clear which I like. But my body seems to be taking on this yellowing appearance.

I have also noticed that the formulation I may cause nail staining, so i've not been applying it to my hands or feet. I use only ret A, soaps, and a cream on my hands/feet. I think that the nail staining may be due to the high % of HQ, at lower % I don't observe this.

I also notice that there is lighter appearing skin under the surface, and when I shower daily (only since adding high % HQ) a lot of skin/dirt is exfoliated off.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Just before I began lightening, I went to the store & tried foundation colours to find the one that blended well with my darker skin. After a few weeks, I had to replace this with a lighter shade. This method works better than photos or the mirror for me since lighting (& wishful thinking!) can be deceptive.

When I began lightening, my skin 'fitted' Maybelline Dream Matte mousse foundation in Dark2- & it had a slight brightening effect! Since I'm in QC, they didn't carry the next shade darker (which would've blended in & disappeared). Today, in the same brand & formulation, Medium 4 blends right in & disappears! That is a lot of lightening so I know I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ninasky

what skin lightening cream did you use? and do you have before after pics....if possible?
i mix my own, ill see if i can get some pics up soon

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ondine - yes ive noticed that too, my make up now 'matches' the actual tone of skin. Also my darker lips are starting to stick out so im starting to lighten these.

@faceofvanity, high percentage hq can cause staining due to contact with water/oxidizaton. You can use the hq all over but ensure you wash your hands thoroughly after each application (or use surgical gloves). Also youre best off painting your nails with a base coat to protect them.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I usually notice my skin is lightening when my lips appear darker in color. Also, when I test my foundation on my face, it'll look too dark to wear.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, lips is another one...they're really becoming noticeable.

and ondine, i never told you how gorgeous your avatar pic is!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks, ninasky

·
Registered
670 Posts
My skin starts to turn reddish, then orange, then yellow.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Mine began at dark red like Jermaine Jackson's, but due to my features I looked like a white person who lived in a tanning bed
. Like a deep BBQ sauce was all over me
Then, I lightened quite fast to the lighter version of Jermaine that you asll saw in my lasy Avatar. The current photo is a few days old. You can see the medium-going-fairer reddish brown tone. The next few tones up should leave me a rosewood colour. In order for a commercial foundation to blend into my skin, I must scrape a little true 'rouge' blush into it. So you go through the red tone to the orange then the yellow? I hope this happens to me too but I saw your before skin tone. Mine was as dark as yours, only much redder

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine began at dark red like Jermaine Jackson's, but due to my features I looked like a white person who lived in a tanning bed
. Like a deep BBQ sauce was all over me
Then, I lightened quite fast to the lighter version of Jermaine that you asll saw in my lasy Avatar. The current photo is a few days old. You can see the medium-going-fairer reddish brown tone. The next few tones up should leave me a rosewood colour. In order for a commercial foundation to blend into my skin, I must scrape a little true 'rouge' blush into it. So you go through the red tone to the orange then the yellow? I hope this happens to me too but I saw your before skin tone. Mine was as dark as yours, only much redder
Ondine, how long have you been using HQ for?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I began lightening in the first week of Jan 09. I was using something different & it was working well, BUT not cost effective in the long run. Following LaDonna's suggestion, I switched to generic versions very similar to what I was initially using. These creams (HQ4% & RA 0.1% gel) worked very well & very quickly. I respond well to this combo. I was getting that 'washed out' bleaching too fast look so I slowed down deliberately. I want complete control & understanding of the process; not speed. I want results to be natural looking & gradual. Although I cannot support this with scientific evidence (gross lack of research in lightening dark skin overall) but I'd bet that the body adjusts better & is less likely to react adversely. Somehow going too quickly seems to me like it might 'shock' my skin & possibly trigger something unwanted (possibly an immune system response? sudden melanin overproduction?). Since I don't know for sure, I'd rather not fool around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So its been 7 months sort off...and your transformation is from Jermain to your present avatar? and you want to get to aishwarya rai tone?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Maybe to her tone; maybe a little browner- she has gotten much fairer than when she won MissWorld. I remember watching her get her title. She is a very intelligent & classy person. In my 7 months, I slowed down at one point because I was getting that fading too fast look that I didn't want. Skin seems to look more natural when it fades over time rather than gets shocked into a radical change.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Many people say aishwarya rai bleached/lightened her skin, if you watched her earlier movies she was much much darker but suddenly in the latter parts of the new milennium she appears very light and bright. She was not an olive tone before but more like a medium to light brown.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I looked Aishwarya up. She is very pretty...I also admire Frieda Pinto. She is gorgeous as well. I noticed today that my face and arms have red undertones and the rest of me has yellow.. Also, the red undertones like Ondine discussed, is similar too the jermaine jackson reddish (or close to it) Is there a way to bring the yellow understones out and suppress the red ones? if so please do share
THAAANK YOU!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts