Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I was brought here in my quest for natural skin care and found your DIY wit C concoction... love the DIY idea, but I am wondering, how do you use it?

I have to add I am 27 and just recently notices the first few fine lines appearing, but I also noticed spider vein creeping into my legs, and since I relocated to Italy, my body has been falling apart! So, I figured it might need some help and I am now playing around with DIY skin and hair products! I should also add that I am in Vet School so although I read most of the threads, I am deep in a tough peroid of exams... thus I have few neurons to spare, and those that were free and shot
so please do refer me to other topics if this had been already addressed

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's funny- I was living in Italy a couple of years ago, and I was a mess, too. I don't know where you relocated from- but, for me the diet was so different from what I was used to. Even though I was cooking for myself alot , I still ate much more carbohydrates than usual- and more cooked food (where I would have had more variety of fresh vegtables).

Not to drink coffee in Italy would be sin- but I rarely have it here. Anyway, I'm completey off topic, but- do you think those kind of changes have had an effect on you? I had much less energy than I'm used to, dark circles, dry skin and hair- still had a great time though!

I'll leave the vit C advice to those more qualified...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Use it in the morning under your moisturizer, sunscreen ,make-up, etc.
If used with vitamin E and ferulic acid (Kassy's formula), this will give you a spf of about 8
that cant be rubbed or washed off. Some use it twice a day.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi missdvm, welcome!
There are 2 things I like about you already: you like animals and you live in Italy!! bella! bella!

Here is some info about using vit c serums that you might find interesting. If you scroll about halfway down the page of the first post it gets into the nittygritty of the wait times involved in using C serums:

Info on pH and product application wait times

HTH a little and good luck with school!

PS wear a good sunscreen as the C serum is an exfoliant as well as anti-oxidant and leaves your skin more susceptible to sun damage. It is only spf 8 and that is not enough protection in Italy!!!

Also, I think red wine (resveratol) protects the circulatory system and could help with spider veins....or at least it would be fun trying!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for all the replies!
Varya, I live in northern Minnesota for 9 yrs, and just moved back to Italy because I could get a work visa. Yes my diet had changed since I'm a broke student and live at home again. I used to eat healthier food and generally more meat and veggies... I am trying to go back to that!

Dashforcash = Yes! Vet school in Italy! I couldn't get loans to go in the US since I don't have a green card, so I decided I would just go here! the big pro is that tuition is very very low!

periwinkle and fawnie - Thanks for the info
Then I guess I can use the vit C concoction as SPF, right?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Thank for all the replies!
Varya, I live in northern Minnesota for 9 yrs, and just moved back to Italy because I could get a work visa. Yes my diet had changed since I'm a broke student and live at home again. I used to eat healthier food and generally more meat and veggies... I am trying to go back to that!

Dashforcash = Yes! Vet school in Italy! I couldn't get loans to go in the US since I don't have a green card, so I decided I would just go here! the big pro is that tuition is very very low!

periwinkle and fawnie - Thanks for the info
Then I guess I can use the vit C concoction as SPF, right?
Use it along with your sunscreen. Not as your main sunscreen. The C serum might be effective enough against fluorescent bulb UV lighting though.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thought this might be worth a "bump".... Here's my 2 cents;

A perfectly formulated vitamin C serum (L-Ascoric Acid), that includes both vitamin E + Ferulic Acid, will afford you an SPF of 8%.. (FA equals 4% + Vitamin E equals 4%)... Vitamin C on it's own doesn't really afford any SPF protection.

Anti-oxidants work best in teams, and combining C, E + FA are the synergistic team that can't be beat in a vitamin "C" serum.

Should you want to make a really involved anti-oxidant serum that is a total killer, then you can use the lovely "C" esters, in an oil base, that your skin will just drink in and adore.. (but for a treatment pure vitamin C serum, keep it simple with C, E, FA + a simple H2O base, with a little SKB or the like, for emulsifying it all)

The possibilities are endless, once you have the basics, and contraindications sorted out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thought this might be worth a "bump".... Here's my 2 cents;

A perfectly formulated vitamin C serum (L-Ascoric Acid), that includes both vitamin E + Ferulic Acid, will afford you an SPF of 8%.. (FA equals 4% + Vitamin E equals 4%)... Vitamin C on it's own doesn't really afford any SPF protection.

Anti-oxidants work best in teams, and combining C, E + FA are the synergistic team that can't be beat in a vitamin "C" serum.

Should you want to make a really involved anti-oxidant serum that is a total killer, then you can use the lovely "C" esters, in an oil base, that your skin will just drink in and adore.. (but for a treatment pure vitamin C serum, keep it simple with C, E, FA + a simple H2O base, with a little SKB or the like, for emulsifying it all)

The possibilities are endless, once you have the basics, and contraindications sorted out.
Hi Kassy! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and your formulations with us!

Would you by chance mind sharing the recipe for the anti-oxidant serum using the "C" esters? I'm very interested!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Kassy! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and your formulations with us!

Would you by chance mind sharing the recipe for the anti-oxidant serum using the "C" esters? I'm very interested!
Sure thing!

I use "Juice Beauty Soothing Serum" as the base, and add some goodies to it.. Simple as it gets this is;

1oz Anti-Oxidant Serum

1/2 oz JBSS
2 tsp Cold Pressed Avocado Oil (loaded with anti-oxidants + fatty acids)
1/8th tsp Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (oil soluble C ester)
1 cc/ml Rosehip Oil
Alpha Lipoic Acid (a pinch or whatever equals 3% depending where you buy it)
Co Q 10 (also keep to 3%... check math where you buy it)

Don'y use gelcap supplements, they have gelatin, fillers and preservatives which aren't good for your skin.. It's better to leave it out than use something with soy, gelatin and preservatives.

Just mix everything together, one ingredient at a time, and put in a dropper bottle. No need to refrigerate.

Those with oily skin might find this too moisturizing. If that's the case, reduce the Avocado Oil to 1 tsp, and increase the JBSS by an additional tsp.

Ingredients (JBSS) (95% organic, no parabens or other not so nice stuff.)

organic juices of vitis vinifera (white grape) juice, rubus idaeus (red raspberry) juice & aloe barbadensis leaf juice, glycerin, organic cucumis sativus (cucumber) extract, organic botanical extracts of glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root, arctostaphylos uva ursi (bearberry) leaf, rubus idaeus (red raspberry) leaf, calendula officinalis flower & matricaria chamomilla flower, organic algae extract, vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, organic essential fatty acids of oenothera biennis (evening primrose), linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed & borago officinali (borage) seed, organic sesamum indicum (sesame) seed oil, tocopherol & tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), panthenol (vitamin B5), magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (vitamin C), phospholipids, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), hesperidin methyl chalcone (vitamin P), potassium sorbate, hyaluronic acid, sclerotium gum, phenoxyethanol, benzyl alcohol, disodium EDTA, sodium hydroxide, limonene, linalool, lavandula angustifolia, tanacetum annuum (blue chamomile) & anthemis nobilis (roman chamomile) pure essential oils.

I buy Juice Beauty products here; (but they are available everywhere.)

Juice Beauty Soothing Serum

Avocado Oil is rich in vitamins A, C, D & E, amino acids, and minerals. It's also a natural antiseptic, and even has natural sunscreen properties.. Love this stuff! Be sure to use cold pressed, which is available at Whole Foods etc.. It last's forever, so don't get a huge bottle.. Keep in fridge once opened, and allow to get to room temp to liquify again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the add-ons Kassy! I am wondering, what if I want to make my own base to your vit C esters lotion? I am also wondering, can you give me a few resources to learn about lotion making? I am currently experimenting with shea butter DIY creams, but I wish I had a more concrete resource to use other that lotion making recipes on the web...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure thing!

I use "Juice Beauty Soothing Serum" as the base, and add some goodies to it.. Simple as it gets this is;

1oz Anti-Oxidant Serum

1/2 oz JBSS
2 tsp Cold Pressed Avocado Oil (loaded with anti-oxidants + fatty acids)
1/8th tsp Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (oil soluble C ester)
1 cc/ml Rosehip Oil
Alpha Lipoic Acid (a pinch or whatever equals 3% depending where you buy it)
Co Q 10 (also keep to 3%... check math where you buy it)

Don'y use gelcap supplements, they have gelatin, fillers and preservatives which aren't good for your skin.. It's better to leave it out than use something with soy, gelatin and preservatives.

Just mix everything together, one ingredient at a time, and put in a dropper bottle. No need to refrigerate.

Those with oily skin might find this too moisturizing. If that's the case, reduce the Avocado Oil to 1 tsp, and increase the JBSS by an additional tsp.

Ingredients (JBSS) (95% organic, no parabens or other not so nice stuff.)

organic juices of vitis vinifera (white grape) juice, rubus idaeus (red raspberry) juice & aloe barbadensis leaf juice, glycerin, organic cucumis sativus (cucumber) extract, organic botanical extracts of glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root, arctostaphylos uva ursi (bearberry) leaf, rubus idaeus (red raspberry) leaf, calendula officinalis flower & matricaria chamomilla flower, organic algae extract, vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, organic essential fatty acids of oenothera biennis (evening primrose), linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed & borago officinali (borage) seed, organic sesamum indicum (sesame) seed oil, tocopherol & tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), panthenol (vitamin B5), magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (vitamin C), phospholipids, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), hesperidin methyl chalcone (vitamin P), potassium sorbate, hyaluronic acid, sclerotium gum, phenoxyethanol, benzyl alcohol, disodium EDTA, sodium hydroxide, limonene, linalool, lavandula angustifolia, tanacetum annuum (blue chamomile) & anthemis nobilis (roman chamomile) pure essential oils.

I buy Juice Beauty products here; (but they are available everywhere.)

Avocado Oil is rich in vitamins A, C, D & E, amino acids, and minerals. It's also a natural antiseptic, and even has natural sunscreen properties.. Love this stuff! Be sure to use cold pressed, which is available at Whole Foods etc.. It last's forever, so don't get a huge bottle.. Keep in fridge once opened, and allow to get to room temp to liquify again.
Oh, that looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! It looks like another great one to try.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi miss im not Kassy but really depending on what you are trying diy and if you have oily or dry skin will really determine what you want to put in your home made products, the best way to find out about diying is buying a good diy book and doing lots of online research too!

I also think its important to make sure that you know that the ingrendients you mix intogether are ok to mix and that you get the proportions correct!

EG. Green Tea, Ginseng and Seewead and ok to mix in together other things may not be, Oats are great to use as exfoliantes and warm oats in a moistuizer are meant to be good for healing the skin!

You may want to look at the Making My Own Dry Skin Moistuizer i posted an ickle while ago now here on the site!

If you are worried about making your own product some of the homemade products on the www.gardenofwisdom.com might be worth while you looking at too!

Also www.solarkarteco.blogspot.com is aso a good source for diying products!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks IluvNY! The link to the forum won't work though

I am interested in finding out what to use for what reason and for what result, as well as a little more in-depth chemistry... I read in another post that Kassy got some of the knowledge from a forum and I was wondering which forum that is

I am also wondering 2 more things:
Couldn't the vit C serum be used on your whole body?
And also, how much would you have to buy of each ingredient for your average 1 year usage? I will be coming over to the US in August, and was planning of stocking up on enough ingredient to last me until next summer (and my next US trip!)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Also www.solarkarteco.blogspot.com is aso a good source for diying products!
Sorry, I meant Solarkat's Eco blog

Essential Day Spa Skin Care decleor dermalogica obagi is also a good website to look at to!

Yes you can use the vit c serum all of your body however some people do add more carrier oils to the body vit c serum otherwise this can work out expensive after a while!

However though as far as how much you should buy in the US i would not have a clue, im no means an expert and am just starting off diying myself!

Whenever though i do to the US i tend to buy loads of clothes, however just be careful though you dont go above the luggage allowance especially with heavy items, this could get pricey otherwise!

Also as far as forumlating ingrendients this just takes a lot of research and expermienting im afraid! However though if you have oily skin then personally i would stick to useing carrier oils and not moistuizers, but carrier oils are also good if you have dry try using hydrating serums, the less moistuizers your skin needs on the face the better it is meant to be apparently!

I would though recomend doing a seperate topic as far as diying your own products you would prob get more replys this way too

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thanks IluvNY! The link to the forum won't work though

I am interested in finding out what to use for what reason and for what result, as well as a little more in-depth chemistry... I read in another post that Kassy got some of the knowledge from a forum and I was wondering which forum that is

I am also wondering 2 more things:
Couldn't the vit C serum be used on your whole body?
And also, how much would you have to buy of each ingredient for your average 1 year usage? I will be coming over to the US in August, and was planning of stocking up on enough ingredient to last me until next summer (and my next US trip!)
Hi DVM

1) There are many DIY sites:
BulkActives: skin actives and ingredients for DIY skin care
Premium ingredients at less than premium prices... Lotioncrafter
Cosmetic Ingredients Supply - MakingCosmetics.com Inc.
and
Essential Day Spa Skin Care decleor dermalogica obagi has some good advice too.

2) I don't know how much ingredient you will be able to find in stores when you come to USA. Most of mine I bought online. Ferulic and Sea Kelp Bioferment for sure are only online. It depends how much serum you make how long it will last.

3) Yup the C serum can be used all over the body! Make a lot and use it up quickly so it stays fresh!

4) I think the instructions for use are somewhere in this forum, but here goes:

In the am: wash your face and let dry for 15-30 minutes to allow the pH of the skin to normalize. The C will only penetrate the skin if the pH is 3.5 or below. Most soaps have a high pH (alkaline). Apply the c serum all over the skin, avoiding the eyelids. Wait another 15-30 minutes for the serum to do its exfoliation. If you aren't concerned about exfoliation, then apply anything you want afterwards. WEAR SUNSCREEN! You only need to apply the serum once a day. Once it is properly absorbed into the skin it stays in the cells for 72 hours.

Have a great trip in August!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi fawnie can i ask as im a bit confused as what im better off doing, basically when i use the vit c in the morning then the GC lev 3 im still on twice in afternoon and evening my face exfoliates nicely but however if i only use the GC once in evening i dont get any exfoliating at all!

I would just really appreciate as to what to do for the best cause what i have found is that if i use the GC twice in the day this does irrate my face about 5 days of using this, um i dont know if i should stick with using the GC twice a day and leave the face to calm down after a while or what is best to do?

I know that kevin mentioned to me about using a BHA gel once a week to help calm down the pores, but am bit worried about using too many acids!

Anyhow if you could spare me the time i would really appreciate a second opinion,many thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts