Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been using HQ 4% & Retin-a 0.1% and sometimes DIY vitamin c serum for about 3 months now and have lightened about 2-3 shades but most importantly my skin is more even. I wasn't very consistent with the vit c serum though cuz of my busy schedule. However, 2 1/2 weeks ago, i ran out of retin-a and so made another simple batch of vit c serum which i use thirty minutes before my HQ 4% morning and evening. Incredibly, i love the results!. The lightening is a better shade, i have a glow and just can't tell you enough about the amazing result.
I still love retin-a and will resume usage when i get my order but i won't stop using my vit c serum either, i just have to find a way to better apply all 3 of them consistently.
So for you guys out there having issues with retin a and HQ 4% combo, DIY vitamin c serum and HQ4% might be the way to go. There are many great ideas on DIY vit c all over the forum. HTH

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
All good to know ttee. Thanks. I am using the DIY C serum and I really do love it. I am so glad I decided to try it. I am also doing RA and can't say enough about that either. Next order I make I will try the HQ for all the horrible sun damage I have on arms, hands chest area. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well goatlady, i couldn't really prove the effectiveness of vit c serum while i was still on retin-a because between RA, HQ and VIT C, didn't know what was doing what, just knew my skin improved but i'm glad i know now. Vit c just gives your skin that shine, glow and smoothness, it's amazing. I think adding HQ for your sun damage might work well, it did for me. good luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
All good to know ttee. Thanks. I am using the DIY C serum and I really do love it. I am so glad I decided to try it. I am also doing RA and can't say enough about that either. Next order I make I will try the HQ for all the horrible sun damage I have on arms, hands chest area. thanks for sharing
How do i make the vitamin c serum. Please help

·
Registered
819 Posts
well im using glycolic acid with hq. After 2 wks my entire skin peeled off, with it came out everything, age ,marks..

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
What percent GA did you use nikesh? I have used 50% over a 2 year period also with decent results but have never used HQ. That will be my next addition

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That's fantastic,ttee! I've been thinking about a C serum myself. I must be dense or something because I can't seem to make sense of the dizzying amt of recipes & C products listed on the forum. What formulation do you think is best?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ondine I finally picked one for me and did it. This is REALLY easy just measure and stir

I just made a new batch for myself, and wanted to see what the addition of Jojoba Oil (really a wax ester) does.. I love the feel of this, and it penetrates quickly..

In case anybody wants to try, this is what I used; (instructions are the same for the 2 phases posted in the other recipe's.)

15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB ( sea kelp bioferment )
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

Here's what it looks like finished; (Creamy whitish and opaque, with a nice serumy texture.) Many of you have PM'd asking what the serums I make look like, so now you have it..

I bought my SKB from Ncn Professional she had the lowest price and there is enough of all the ingredients to make batch after batch.

See the thread Vit C serum for dummies also in anti-aging.

Really good stuff Ondine you will like it.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks so much! That was fast too. I'll definitely give this a shot.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DIY is cheap and more effective. Personally i just do the basic vit c serum:
to make 30ml, in a 30ml syringe I do : any oil (my favorites are almond & rose hip seed & emu) 2ml, L-AA 5ml, and fill up my syringe up with DISTILLED WATER, i try not to make it too complicated.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
DIY is cheap and more effective. Personally i just do the basic vit c serum:
to make 30ml, in a 30ml syringe I do : any oil (my favorites are almond & rose hip seed & emu) 2ml, L-AA 5ml, and fill up my syringe up with DISTILLED WATER, i try not to make it too complicated.
Oh thanks ttee, that does sound simple! Where do I get the L-AA? Also has anyone tried crushing up a vitamin c pill? Or is that plain stupid and naive of me?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh thanks ttee, that does sound simple! Where do I get the L-AA? Also has anyone tried crushing up a vitamin c pill? Or is that plain stupid and naive of me?
Dunno about crushing vit c pill,that may not be a good idea since it's already processed. BTW i get my L-AA from gardenofwisdomdotcom, not expensive at all, also do a search on DIY vitamin c, people have posted many other useful sites HTH

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Go to Anti-Aging forum Vit C for dummies has all the info you need.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That's what I'll need to do because I'm definitely a dummy when it comes to this!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ttee- I too am trying to work out a plan on when to use what. I LOVE VITAMIN C SERUM and my skin has improved 300% (glowing, smooth, even, soft, lighter) It has been a key contributor to my lightening progress, even the rear end :). My biggest issue is with my hands (very very dark) and my face but I am working on all over body lightening. I don't want my office attire to get ruined from the Vitamin C's yellow- brown staining (oxidation) so it will definitely be part of my night routine. I just started using HQ4% and Retin A0.1% and I have had accelerated lightening on my face. I am using the Sepi-White and I don't see very much impact - but I made it very weak (added it to existing lotion). In 2 weeks I hope to have a final day/night routine which will include:
Vitamin C Serum (for sure)
Papaya Soap
Arbutin
Kojic Acid
HQ 4% (10% if I can find it) for the hands, knees, elbows
Retin A

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ttee- I too am trying to work out a plan on when to use what. I LOVE VITAMIN C SERUM and my skin has improved 300% (glowing, smooth, even, soft, lighter) It has been a key contributor to my lightening progress, even the rear end :). My biggest issue is with my hands (very very dark) and my face but I am working on all over body lightening. I don't want my office attire to get ruined from the Vitamin C's yellow- brown staining (oxidation) so it will definitely be part of my night routine. I just started using HQ4% and Retin A0.1% and I have had accelerated lightening on my face. I am using the Sepi-White and I don't see very much impact - but I made it very weak (added it to existing lotion). In 2 weeks I hope to have a final day/night routine which will include:
Vitamin C Serum (for sure)
Papaya Soap
Arbutin
Kojic Acid
HQ 4% (10% if I can find it) for the hands, knees, elbows
Retin A
You can use the vit c serum in the AM & use your HQ4% 30mins after, follow with sunscreen & u're good to go. At night, you can use a mix of HQ AND RETIN-A or alternate btw the two every night. Use papaya soap day & night. Don't think you need Kojic acid & arbutin, u don't wanna overload your skin. good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts