Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay you guys for those who dont know me,ive been compounding my own hq mixture since may and its been working pretty well for me the only problem i have with it is sometime my mixture starts to turn brown after about a week, which mean it oxidizes, so its pretty much useless, and i have to toss it out, and mix up a new batch,which is kinda annoying making a new batch every week,ive been wanting to make larger batches , so ive been researching ways to keep it from oxidizing, and i came across ascorbic acid which is basically the powder form of vitamin c , its commonly used as a food preservative, and used to keep beverages like beer and soda from oxidizing ,and as an antioxidant for cleaning products, i wonder if it will have the same effects for keeping hq fresh, what do u guys think?

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
I don't know anything about hq, but I do know about ascorbic acid. I make my own Vit C serum. You have to be careful with it oxidizing as well. I make a fresh batch weekly, keep it in the fridge in a dark colored bottle.

If you put your cream in a dark colored container or keep it in the fridge would this help it? That is how we keep our Vit C in hopes of it not oxidizing.

Lol, just a thought, I am sure the other skin lightners here will be of more help to you-

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, thats interesting, i dont wanna sound like an idiot but how can an antioxidant oxidize? ne way what do you use your vit c serum for, skin lightening? because i know that vit c actually slows down melanin production.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey x gymrat is right about keeping it in an opaque bottle. You need to protect your compound from oxidising by keeping it in an airtight bottle also - I have found a carrier such as DPG/PG will also assist in making it last.

You should not mix more than a weeks/fortnights worth also. When I use just DPG and HQ, even in a clear bottle, my mixture does NOT turn brown at all. This is what has made me determine that this carrier is good for keeping HQ stable.

I dont know about vitamin C serum though, I just take a 500mg supplement....

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've found the same thingd Ninasky talks abou t to be true. Since it is so fast & easy to make, it is a minor inconvenience. Even HQ creams compounded in labs are NEVER packaged & sold in lg qty's. They come in small tubes or small jars of cream.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i kno you guys are right, but i just to make a batch large enough to last me for at least two weeks, i think im going to order some ascorbic acid powder i saw on ebay for like 10 bucks, i mean just to try it out it cant hurt the situation, vit c is used to slow down melanin production as well, so thats good, the stronger the hq the better right.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You can try, but unless you have an air-tight vacuum-type container (like a tube) the air in the top of the container (as you use your cream up) will turn it brown. For experiments' sake, it'll be interesting to know if it does prolong the shelf-life.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i have a moisturizer bottle that i used i try to sqeeze all the air out of it between uses, but its no way to completely avoid air exposure all together , but yeah ill keep u guys posted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts