Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I spoke to a pharmacist & found soemthing out that I was unsure of before. Apparently, photography grade 100% pure HQ powder IS identical to the one used in cosmetics! I was unsure about this & since I know some people here are compounding their own HQ creams, I decided to check. I also learned an effective method for incorporating the powder into a basic cream or lotion! I'll post this later. As usual, I'll put my money where my mouth is, try compounding an HQ10% cream & I'll let you know what happens. Ninasky got me very curious about this compounding 'business' . This pharmacist also assured me that there really never has been a single case of a human being developping cancer due to HQ use (when it is not mixed with lead, mercury or other toxins). We'll crack the skin lightening code together yet!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey, im glad you clarified that issue for everyone! White crystals with a fluffy consistency - thats what it looks like pure.

·
Registered
395 Posts
...and ondine, another rep power point thrown at ya! x

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the Rep, Ninasky. I found out something else! We were both concerned about the way HQ oxidizes, turns brown & becomes inert. Well, I was reading a website where dermatologists discuss professional issues related to their practice. They said that dissolving it in propylene glycol (available at: m a k i n g c o s m e t i c s . c o m) will prevent this from happening! You still have to store the cream in an opaque container & make about a 2 month supply but knowing this will save compounders a lot of money in wasted HQ.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks Ondine for letting us know this vital information and yes there is no case where a human being developed cancer from use of HQ. You mentioned photography grade HQ - what other grades are there? This is very interesting keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In creams, the HQ bears a USP grade rating. This is what led me to believe that there was a difference. It just means that the HQ is certified as 100% pure (as in no additives to the HQ itself whether it is 2% or 10%)

On the derm. website, there was a Dr. talking about compounding creams as high as 20% which he said were very effective in Black patients. He advocated using the higher % age until the results were achieved then switching to a much lower concentration (like 4%) in order to maintain the results.

I'll be digging around today for more info which I'll psot as I get it. You can bet I'll only post what comes from 100% reputable & reliable sources (nothing like 'my friend's cousin's mother's manicurist's boyfriend's sister's secretary says that.......'
We CAN do this. Safely & effectively. The info is out there: we just have to locate it & share it with eachother. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
670 Posts
So, is it powder .... or .... crystals? I read somewhere on the net, that, the photography kind is mixed. Nina mentions crystals and you mention powder. Which is it? Don't have me walking around here looking like an 8x10! J/K J/K!! If it's true, I'm buying Kodak powder. Does the person you met have a pm'able internet source? Is it Kodak or a no name/indifferent brand? Oooo la la.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess the best way to describe it is powdery crystals, They sparkle a little in the light. Very pretty. It is not heavy like salt crystals but light like Splenda but with a crystalline shine. I hope that makes sense. Actually, the Dr on the Derm website got some from Kodak!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys! I found this important info on a US Govt website about chemical safety:

Hydroquinone is a skin, eye, mucous membrane, and gastrointestinal irritant. In humans, ingestion of 1 gram of hydroquinone has caused tinnitus, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, cyanosis, convulsions, delirium, and collapse. Death has occurred in some individuals after ingestion of 5 grams of hydroquinone. Workplace exposure for greater than 5 years, to levels that had no systemic effects, caused staining and opacification of the cornea.

For anyone purchasing 100% pure HQ crystals (powdery crystalline flakes) make SURE you wear gloves, protective goggles & a mask when handling the powder. This stuff is nothing to trifle with in its raw form. You do not want to be inhaling it or getting it in your eyes. Just thought I'd get this out there right away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In creams, the HQ bears a USP grade rating. This is what led me to believe that there was a difference. It just means that the HQ is certified as 100% pure (as in no additives to the HQ itself whether it is 2% or 10%)

On the derm. website, there was a Dr. talking about compounding creams as high as 20% which he said were very effective in Black patients. He advocated using the higher % age until the results were achieved then switching to a much lower concentration (like 4%) in order to maintain the results.

I'll be digging around today for more info which I'll psot as I get it. You can bet I'll only post what comes from 100% reputable & reliable sources (nothing like 'my friend's cousin's mother's manicurist's boyfriend's sister's secretary says that.......'
We CAN do this. Safely & effectively. The info is out there: we just have to locate it & share it with eachother. Stay tuned!
Do you still have the link to the derm website where the Dr said that? That's interesting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi guys! I found this important info on a US Govt website about chemical safety:

Hydroquinone is a skin, eye, mucous membrane, and gastrointestinal irritant. In humans, ingestion of 1 gram of hydroquinone has caused tinnitus, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, cyanosis, convulsions, delirium, and collapse. Death has occurred in some individuals after ingestion of 5 grams of hydroquinone. Workplace exposure for greater than 5 years, to levels that had no systemic effects, caused staining and opacification of the cornea.

For anyone purchasing 100% pure HQ crystals (powdery crystalline flakes) make SURE you wear gloves, protective goggles & a mask when handling the powder. This stuff is nothing to trifle with in its raw form. You do not want to be inhaling it or getting it in your eyes. Just thought I'd get this out there right away.
So this means buying some gear for HQ compunding. Where can one get them for a good price, the masks and all? Just asking. As we strive to get cost effective lightening products, why shouldn't we apply these to other things we purchase?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try to locate the link to the site where the derms were talking to eachother today. I sifted through so many sites that it is difficult keeping track. As for getting the grae, the masks & gloves can be obtained at any pharmacy cheaply. You can even buy them in bulk to save, Since you only mix your cream every 2 months, a pack of 24 masks will keep you covered for 4 years. The goggles can be bought at most pharmacies too or at any hardware store. You can even wear swim goggles; so long as it keeps the powder out of your eyes, nose & mouth. You must work quickly & minimize the HQ'a exposure to air.

Little erin, you make an important point about applying these economic principles to other areas of our lives. As consumers, we often buy out of habit or due to the influences of trends or advertizing. Being aware of what we spend on & making better choices in vital. Thanks for pointing that out!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Throw the mask out after each time. Since they'e so cheap anyways it shouldn't be a problem. With the H1N1 scare. everybody is selling these masks so they're easy to find too. The 100% HQ crystalline powdery flakes are very fly away & can easily find their way innto your eyes, nose & mouth. Better to be extra cautious.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank for letting us know, I'll bear this in mind when I get to compounding. I'm sure you'll let us know what you gather, I can't start on this yet as I've not found time to research. I'm very eager though to know how you've progressed. If you work it out, that will be great! It could be the answer to a big huddle. All the best to you and Ninasky!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Oh my gosh! Scary! I was just going to jump right in! Thanks Ondine! I'll wait for a bit more of ya'lls findings.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again. I was irked at the amount of reliable options openly available to those seeking to tan whereas those of us seeking to lighten have to struggle to find effective products. Then, when we do, we have to skulk about with them & be careful who we tell. Double standards always annoy me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
are you guys actually looking to depig or lighten....because you do know that when you depig, you actually look paler than white people right? There are other less potent ways to be light skin, and I mean like a red bone light skin, but not white.....I think you guys should look into it before getting gloves and goggles only to handle what you plan on applying to your skin. Also, how long do you think you will be able to keep that up. What about when you meet a guy who likes you for your lighter color, things get deep and you two decide to marry or move in together, how do you explain your maintenance routine?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some are looking to lighten 2-3 shades, some are looking for more dramatic results whereas a rare few are looking to depig. I am going for a very light honey colour as it would best suit my very small features.

As for 'meeting that special person' this is also a concern for those who have altered their looks with plastic surgery & met someone after the big hump was removed from their nose & their receding chin was fixed. There may be some explaining to do for sure! If he/she loves you, s/he'll understand. In my case, I am married with young adult kids. My husband & I met in August (many years ago) & I was very dark from being out in the sun a lot. Now, as I get lighter, he thinks it is simply because I am no longer going out in the sun. My brothers both inherited my mother's light skin. I got her French features but my dad's darker skin.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts